Advice on Two Headsets
Jan 15, 2013 at 10:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

dcuellar

New Head-Fier
Hey guys. Decided I would join and ask for your opinions after browsing and doing some research for some time now. I wanted to get your opinions on a couple of headphones I'm looking to purchase really soon. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

So, here is my story. A few years back (~5yrs) I bought my first pair of earphones from my job at the time because I could get it at cost. It was the Shure E500's. Later on they released the E535's and I bought those as well. During those times I did absolutely no research but I knew I was getting a good deal and that Shure was a respectable company. I liked them, I just found they took too much effort to put on. Unfortunately, I was listening to mp3's with very low bitrates because I knew no better. Even more unfortunately, I lost both sets... ouch... 

Since then I never really bought another expensive set for myself. I'm hoping to now as a birthday gift, though. I recently have rediscovered my love for music and have re-ripped my whole collection to ALAC. I stream it all from home to my iPhone 5 using an app called iSub (great!). Now I just need some good cans. Here is what I'm looking for in the headsets:

Headset #1:
  1. Open, Over the Ears
  2. $400 or less
  3. For home use
  4. Detachable cable preferred but not necessary.

*Edit: Looking for just one headset now.

Headset #2:
  1. Closed, Over the Ears
  2. $400 or less
  3. Portable (doesn't mean smaller, just durable, foldable, etc)
  4. Detachable cable preferred but not necessary.

I listen to all types of music but mostly mainstream and R&B/Hip-Hop. I'm not a bass head though as I prefer great sound than artificially enhanced. I've been listening to a lot of classic rock, and music from the 60's lately. I will be using both my 2010 Macbook Pro and iPhone 5 so I'm not really sure about whether or not I need an amp/dac. Please recommend one I can use on both devices if the headphones need them. I listen to music about 3-4 hours daily if not more. 

Let me know if there is more info you need. Thank you for your time!

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #3 of 24
HE-400 and Pro900

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

... all types of music but mostly mainstream and R&B/Hip-Hop. I'm not a bass head though as I prefer great sound than artificially enhanced. I've been listening to a lot of classic rock, and music from the 60's lately.

This, really. HE-400 is known for its bass presentation. Other than that it's also known as one of the best cans for $400.

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:
Is it me or do the cups on the Pro900 look too small? Any other suggestions for the sealed headphones?

They're not. Size is good. Unless you have really BIG ears. 

Another closed models come to mind, but they are bulky. 

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:
This may be a dumb question because of their price difference, but how much better are the Pro900 compared to the popular m50's?

Different kinds of bass, the Pro900 have Quality bass (tight, controlled, quick) while the M50's have quantity (slow and boomy) + recessed mids. 

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #11 of 24
Both PRO900 and M50 have recessed mids. It's been a while since I listened to the M50, but I can say that with PRO900 you have to get picky with music. I only found it to work with EDM/Dubstep - everything else sounded way too bright. PRO900 earcups might look small, but they're hefty and big once you get to hold them or wear them on your head. I think M50 might be better for portable use, they're also cheaper so you don't have to be extra careful when using them outside.

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:
So is it fair to call these basshead cans or can I use them and enjoy all kinds of music?

Yep, take a look at this for example:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/541103/pro-900-review-the-bass-monster

Edit: the pro900 are source dependant, a good source is a must. 

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #13 of 24
btw..I'm asking more about these because I really like these so far.

They look sturdy, has a nice sleek look to them, and the earcups I think are fabric (correct me if I'm wrong). I like that it comes with a case and that they are collapsible. I also like the idea of a detachable cable.

What I'm concerned about is the quality of the sound. I wouldn't like the bass to overpower the mids or highs, but still be present. The mids and highs are very important also. How is the soundstage?

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

What I'm concerned about is the quality of the sound. I wouldn't like the bass to overpower the mids or highs, but still be present. The mids and highs are very important also. How is the soundstage?

Bass doesn't ruin the whole spectrum. Regarding soundstage, pretty good for a closed can..good positional accuracy if you're a gamer. 

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #15 of 24
I can attest to the soundstage being great on the PRO900 which I use for gaming. It feels artificial at times, but I feel I get greater positional ques on the Ultrasones than I do on HD650 or DT990.

If you want another bass alternativ check this out: http://www.head-fi.org/t/552034/final-thoughts-sony-mdr-xb1000-vs-ultrasone-pro-900-who-is-the-bass-king-pictures

Users who are viewing this thread

Back