Advice on Sub $200 in ear monitors
Feb 24, 2010 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jharv92

New Head-Fier
These are the qualities I'm looking for.

1.Comfort- must be able to be worn 2+ hours
2.Sound- nothing artificial, I like to listen to the music how the artist intended
a.also blocks out a fair amount of noise around me(but requires no additional batteries)
b. separation of instruments
3.Small, easy to transport
4.Decent warranty and hopefully durability so I don't have to use it.
5.Easily driven by a portable player

I have looked at Etymotics,Klipsch image s-4, and ultimate ears. I know there is way more out there so feel free to suggest any brand. $200 is max limit and I would like to stay under $100 if possible. I want these to block out most unwanted noises while at school or in loud environments, while still offering a high quality of sound.

Thanks for the help!

Feb 25, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #4 of 13
The $80 RE0 fits everything you want and leaves you with $120 (maybe you might get an amp, like the Fiio E5 which is only another $20).

Feb 25, 2010 at 6:30 AM Post #6 of 13
How isolating do you want it? Do you want to still be able to hear the telephone ring, or do you want to be left in your own world?

Feb 25, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #7 of 13
I'm going to the rec the HJE900, possibly with other tips such as the sony hybrids. Awesome durability, SQ and separation. Most IEMs will be decent at blocking noise, but theres aren't super duper isolationg, but plenty enough.

Feb 25, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by JxK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How isolating do you want it? Do you want to still be able to hear the telephone ring, or do you want to be left in your own world?

I will be running these off an iphone/moto droid/sony vaio laptop mostly. I do have a middle of the road harman kardon amp I use occasionally but I don't like being tied to it. Portability is a must since my school backpack overloaded already. Thanks to everyone I appreciate all the suggestions

Feb 25, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by JxK /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would like to be in my own world as much as possible. Keeps my a.d.d. in check
normal_smile .gif

Feb 25, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jharv92 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Music wise, pop-rock and hip hop is what I listen to the most. I do not want anything bass heavy that I can't hear separation. I am more into details than pure thudding.

Don't go for the S4, then. It will sound too muddy for you. Klipsch X5 are very good if you can find them at a price that fits your budget. They are the most comfortable IEMs I've had. RE0 has excellent detail but not as much bass impact as the X5.

May 6, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #12 of 13
I'd say get one of those budget IEMs. I recently asked the same question when I just got on head-fi.

The RE0 is awesome for the price. As well as the Fischer Audio Eterna (quite hard to find) Read the 2 main IEM masssive review/shootout threads. I'd personally recommend the Phonak Audeo PFE, unless you really really like your bass heavy. I believe these 3 are pretty versatile IEMs, if you're looking for portables, go for a standard Koss Portapro, not really audiophile grade but won't detract at all from "I would like to be in my own world as much as possible. Keeps my a.d.d. in check" its extremely comfy, portable, and great sounding as well (for the price)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back