advice on home amp $400-$600
Feb 20, 2008 at 4:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

V-DiV

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Gang,

I've been lurking around here for a while and finally decided to join. I've gotten bitten by this headphone bug and want to dive in. I'm hoping for some good advice on a compact home headphone amp in the ~ $400-$600 range.

I listen mostly to jazz & classical but also get in my share of rock, world music, whatever. I looooooove music (frustrated former rock then jazz then classical musician).

I presently have:
headphones: primary - Senn HD 595 (50 ohm), also - Ety 4P (will get 4S adapter)
source: mostly iPod (ALAC & some high bit rate AAC). I'm deciding between an iMod or getting a DAC for my Powerbook, but iPods are just so handy.

I wonder how the following compare to one another and how appropriate for the type of music I listen to (lots of acoustic stuff with, strings, voices, etc):

RSA XP-7 (with or without the power supply)
Channel Islands Audio VHP-2 (with or without upgraded power supply)
Gilmore Lite (with or without the dedicated power supply)
Corda Cantate (I realize it has an integrated DAC - worthwile?)

I have previously tried the 2007 Headroom Micro Amp, and while it was really clear through the iPod line-out, it didn't have much bottom end and was not at all satisfying.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Feb 20, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

I have previously tried the 2007 Headroom Micro Amp, and while it was really clear through the iPod line-out, it didn't have much bottom end and was not at all satisfying.

Woah, that really surprises me. I have had many HR products, currently have a 2007 Micro Ultra Stack and they are known for their warmth and bottom end across their entire product line. I look at what you have and it's certainly a good mix so nothing glaring sticks out for a problem.

Based on reviews I have seen here, your short list is certainly a good mix. You might also want to check out the Headamp lineup (pico etc..) and the iBasso D1 but I found it very light in the bottom end when compared to several of my HR products.

Good Luck!

Feb 20, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by V-DiV /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm deciding between an iMod or getting a DAC for my Powerbook, but iPods are just so handy.

I would not underestimate the worthiness of a better source. Since you're using a Mac, I would seriously look into getting an Apogee Duet, which can double as a DAC and headphone amp in one slick FireWire device. It's also within your price range at $495. The difference between this setup on my system compared to my portable rig (5G iPod, ALO LOD, and Hornet M) is large, especially with my full-sized headphones (HD580 and DT770/80 Pro). My ER-4S love the Hornet, though.

I'm happy enough with the Duet that I could definitely live with it as a headphone amp for the long run, but upgradeitis may force me to add an XP-7 to it in the near future
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #5 of 14
Though portables, the HeadAmp Pico or RSA Predator would meet your needs better than a home amp. If your source varies between an iPod and a computer, either of them would easily fit with both.

Also I don't think your current sources are quite good enough to merit a home amp like the ones you mentioned. You'd need a DAC on your computer and at least an iMod at the minimum if you really want to enjoy what those amps can do.

Feb 20, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by V-DiV /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Since you have HD595, and I had HD595 as my first headphone, I guess following comments should be useful to you:

1. What you are describing here is what HD595 sounds like with HeadRoom products in general. If you decide that you want to try another can, say HD600, HeadRoom products suddenly will become very favorable choice.
2. HD595's shyness in bass - if that worries you, is easily fixed by Darkvoice 332 amp...but then you would want to put the rest of the budget into a source, since 332 will let you know what it has to say about your Mac =] (Powerbook sounds fine, but not stellar).
3. From my experience with HD595 - you should be more worried about a DAC than an amp, as most amps will just offer some transparency, not all that much in the long run. The one I mentioned above and some other tube ones seem to have interesting effects though (something happens when you throw enough voltage at it).
4. None of the Cordas are worthwhile with HD595. They are not bad...but with this headie you can do better with other products.

Feb 20, 2008 at 6:08 AM Post #7 of 14
I also concur that when thinking about spending ~ 500 $ on an amp you should also - perhaps first - consider a better pair of cans than the 595. Because even if you will keep them for now, the performance levels you (can) get from a 500 $ amp and an equal value DAC will push you sooner or later to upgrade the cans. Unfortunately the 595 sound mediocre, at best decent when compared to good cans in a good system.
Keeping that in mind, you should choose the amp in relation to your future cans as much as (if not more than) to your present. That is of course unless you also plan to change amps frequently.
So, think about what sound you like, what (top) cans will meet that and than make the final decision on the amp.

Feb 20, 2008 at 7:37 AM Post #8 of 14
Look for a good used tube amp around $500. You'll find Singlepower PPXes around that price and they are excellent performers. I had one for about a year and used it constantly with jazz and classical; the new owner seems quite happy with it, as well.

If I can go slightly off topic, look at the AKG K-501. It should be a perfect match for you.

Feb 20, 2008 at 8:54 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by snoop_005 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Little Dot or DarkVoice should be on your list.

Especially the Little Dot Mk-series of amps. They're probably the best value in amps today.
wink.gif

Feb 20, 2008 at 9:41 AM Post #10 of 14
Going along with MaloS, the HD595 isn't known for its bass, perhaps you want to upgrade the headphones to something a bit higher-end before building your entire system around this HD595.

I really love the Sennheiser HD600 and HD650, like REALLY LOVE and it's the first thing I reach for - well, until last week when I got my Deep Darth Beyers, now I'm burning these in on my head
smily_headphones1.gif

To cut to the chase, consider a different set of headphones before building your system. No matter which headphone you decide on, consider a DAC if you're planning to use the MacBook, it's the best upgrade you can make (garbage-in, garbage-out principle). The iMod (or diyMOD) is a worthwhile improvement as well, definitely worth it.

Amps-wise, I love the PPAv2, best amp I've ever had and I've had many. Best Bang/Buck amps I can recommend, sorted by price highest to lowest - Beta22, M^3, PPAv2, Millet MAX, SOHA + JISBOS, CKK-III, Dynalo, Pimeta with discrete/LMH6321 buffers, Mini3. They are all DIY amps that you can either build yourself, buy on the FS forums or have someone build for you.

Good luck with your headphone career oh and Sorry about your wallet! (always wanted to say that to a new member)
tongue.gif

Feb 20, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #11 of 14
Thanks for all of the great comments, especially about the need to get amp and headphones that complement one another.

My basic battle plan was - amp ($400 or so) then source & cables (separate budget) in the near term - then upgrade headphones later (my wife would kill me if I bought new headphones so soon after getting the HD 595s).

Yes, I am definitely planning to upgrade my source soon. I do a lot of listening in bed in the evening and morning. iPod is the ideal source for that so I may go the iMod route. I expect that a firewire DAC from my Powerbook may give better sound quality but it's not nearly so convenient on the nightstand: takes up more space, makes a lot more light when the screen comes on to change playlist at midnight, and the internal fan is quite loud if it decides to come on at 12:15. Too bad I couldn't control my Powerbook from my iPod, or better yet, it would be great if Apple would put a digital out on the iPod. Maybe someday.

I was planning to get a solid state amp because even though the warmth of tubes is great, especially for the harmonic distortion in rock, I am more after clarity of detail. I got the impression from reading some posts that solid state will do better at resolving complex passages in say a string quartet, ambient sounding English choral music, or cooking jazz quartet. Back in the old days I loved playing my bass through the warm tube sound of my Fender Bassman 100 but solid state always sounded tighter and more distinct, if not always so nice. Am I mistaken? Can I get accuracy and clarity plus the warmth of tubes in my amp budget?

I was a bit bummed by the comments on the HD 595s. Headroom gave it such a great write-up. I like a more forward sound than the "too many rows back" sound that HR claims for the HD 600/650. (I like to be in the middle of the chamber ensemble/jazz quartet like when I used to play in them.) I had previously tried the Grado 225s and loved their very forward sound but found them very uncomfortable, so probably won't go with another Grado. For now I don't have a problem with the bass of the 595s when driven with a good/strong amp - I have an NAD integrated amp in my home office and the 595s have a lot more bottom end using the NAD headphone output than they did with the same cabling to the HR Micro Amp. But next year I'll be looking into headphone upgrade: Beyer 880, AKG 601/701, Senn 600/650...? Since I already have "ok for now" headphones couldn't I later on choose headphones to complement whatever great amp I get or would it be better to have an amp/phone combo in mind from the start? If so, what?

Thanks again.

Feb 20, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #12 of 14
The sound you get is primarily the product of the phones. So in choosing a certain sound and a certain level of quality you are choosing primarily the headphones. They give the essential character as well as the limitations for the performances of you system. An amp can only bring out the best - or a different side - of your phones. That's why amp-cans combinations are usually viewed from the end-side of the latter. It's mostly the same as with speakers.
It's not that the 595 are not ok for now - but since you will upgrade eventually it's best that you first (and foremost) consider your next headphones, which mostly determine your sound, and than work your way down to the amp and dac.
Again, this is if you are not full of cash and plan to change amps often. If this is the case than you needn't worry, experimentation is the best way to learn and find the best option for you.

Feb 20, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #13 of 14
It is still possible to choose an amp that will do great with most headphones (G-Lite is a trivial example).

Take a look at a Squeezeboxe as far as sources go - nice sound and they provide remote control of music on your computer over a wireless network.

Feb 22, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take a look at a Squeezeboxe as far as sources go - nice sound and they provide remote control of music on your computer over a wireless network.

Thanks for the great idea.
rolleyes.gif
I pre-ordered a Squeezebox Duet. I'll see how the line out from the Wolfson 24 bit DAC is. Eventually I could use the digital outs to run a stand-alone DAC.

You guys have convinced me to do more than just get an amp. I've been pondering Beyer DT 880, AKG K701, Senn 600/650... Any suggestions on good amp/headphone pairing to render classical strings, jazz trios, blues, etc. with accurate detail, transparency, and tight bass. I'm leaning toward SS over tubes:
- LD MK V (is this little guy powerful enough and high enough sound quality?)
- VHP-2 + VAC 1 (leaning to this one if it pairs well with music & amp)
- XP-7 (probably over budget, especially with power supply and new phones)
- I've also considered the hybrid MF Xcan V3
any others???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back