Advice on Headphones (AKG K450 vs. Beyerdynamic DT235)
Jun 29, 2012 at 12:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

blackkfox

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone, hopefully I have the right forum or whatever. I'm completely new to this website, but I was wondering if I could seek your collective advice on choosing a pair of headphones.

So basically, I started looking on Amazon for a new pair of headphones (mainly for listening to music at my computer while studying), and I was initially looking at very low-end on-ear or over-ear pairs (read: <$40). I ended up ordering a pair of Incipio f38s, which based on reviews I read are pretty good for the price (and they suited my personal taste in terms of style), but after searching further, I felt like I could bump up a notch or two, spend a tiny bit more money, and get much higher quality headphones. So after some searching (with comfort, noise reduction, and overall sound quality for a non-audiophile being my most sought after qualities), I stumbled across the Beyerdynamic DT235, which seemed like a solid pair of headphones for the price (List price: $75; Amazon price: $47). But... then I saw the AKG K450s, which on Amazon are listed as originally being $189.95, but are now $69.94. If that's true, then it seems like they're a much higher level of headphones. Apparently both are pretty basic on-ear headphones, but they're definitely quite different as well, with the K450s seeming to be more portable and better for traveling, etc. So I ended up ordering both pairs from Amazon, with the intention of returning the Incipio pair without even opening the package. I'm planning on opening the AKGs and Beyerdynamics and comparing the audio quality a tiny bit and then only keeping one pair (and based on other research, I've heard that I should have no trouble returning the ones that I decide not to keep back to Amazon, especially because these are fairly low-cost items).

So anyway, I don't know much at all about headphones, and I know that to most of you, these are very low-end headphones still, but for me, it's an investment I'm hoping to make into a solid pair of headphones that will last me for at least a few years. Anyone have any experience with either of these pairs, or could anyone lend an opinion? I'm going to listen to both pairs definitely, but I'd appreciate any input. Thanks!

Jun 30, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #2 of 3
This is your first post, so you probably missed this thread for posting questions like the one you posed:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/529144/recommendations-thread-i-e-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here-please-read-op/15885#post_8497126

Jul 1, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #3 of 3
Oh okay, thanks. Yeah I was actually going to delete this thread but couldn't figure out how to do so (if it's possible). Also, maybe it's not possible to make that huge advice thread sticky, but if so, that would probably help future new people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back