Advice on BeyerDynamics DT 990.
Apr 3, 2013 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

NaziAudioSnob

New Head-Fier
Would you recommend them and are they good for $300 new with tax from a authorized reseller?

I plan to buy them at the end of this month. I want headphones that durable but also that have very good sound quality for $300 bucks.

I just ordered the v-moda m-100 and they lack in one department according to head-fiers when price is taken into consideration: sound quality. But at the same-time the durability is unmatched and it is supposed to be the best sounding v-moda headphone.

So that's why I'm considering to get the Beyersdynamic DT 990 to fill the small gap by v-moda. I want the Premium 600 ohms version.

They are made in germany, well-built as well and also come with a case. Not as stylish looking than a v-moda headphone but they are supposed to be a lot more better in sound quality and neutral.

Opinions?

Apr 3, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

The DT990s are great, typically you want to pair them with a good desktop amplifier. What amp and source do you have?

Right now, I am running a hybrid stereo with Nikko power amp and Apt Holman pre into Paradigm speakers with vinyl, analog FM, HD FM and CD sources.

I also have a E17 Amp/Dac that I use with various headphones from Sennheisers & V-Moda. (The v-moda's being a bit too colored sometimes for my taste. Especially the crossfade lp.)

I listen mainly to classic rock, beethoven and mozart. Frank Sinatra is also a delight.

Are the Beyerdynamics DT 990 600ohms Premium also suitable for my taste in music and for my gear plus source?

Apr 3, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #5 of 9
I would actually suggest the DT880, it's closer to neutral and will suit much better with those genres.
The DT990 has boosted bass and treble, which means bass creeps in where is shouldn't and your highs are often sibilant.

I can't say much about your stereo equipment but do know the E17 won't do 600Ohm headphones justice.
I use a Darkvoice 336i OTL tube amp which I find the perfect combo, it gives the neutral phone that little bit more impact.

Apr 3, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #6 of 9
I guess I will go for the DT 880 600ohms then, I have enough colored headphones already (V-moda) that I noticed really mess up some of my tracks for my genre. I checked out the Darkvoice 336i OTL tube amp and decided to pair it with the Beyers.

Thanks for your help. If anyone one else wants to chime in, feel free.

Apr 3, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #7 of 9
I could also get the M-80 but I hate on-ear headphones and  I'm looking for headphones with a more neutral response than even the M-80 along with higher fidelity. I also don't want another low impedance headphone.

Apr 3, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #9 of 9
A different opinion could maybe also help :)  

I listen to jazz, ambient and classical. FLAC files as well. I used to own the DT880 600ohm. I thought they were fantastic headphones which did a lot right, but I sold them after a year, I felt they were somehow lacking body for my taste. I'm not a basshead but I like nice strong low frequencies. I like for example a nice full bodied cello or or double bass in classical recordings. I like a nice deep picked bass in jazz recordings, or a full baritone saxophone sound. Somehow, the 880 didn't fulfill these requirement completely for me.

A couple of months ago I was able to source a pair of DT990 600ohms. These are absolutely astounding in my opinion. They are everything the DT880 were, adding just a bit of extension on top and on the bottom. The bass is full, but not too full, unless it was heavily emphasized in the recording you're listening to, already. Reports that the DT990 has over-bloated bass and sibilant highs are grossly exaggerated imho. They highs are very present, however they will only be a problem if the recording quality of what you're listening is not high. These headphones ruthlessly expose poor recordings unfortunately. Luckily, they make good recording absolutely *heavenly*.

Hope it helps, if you have more questions please ask!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back