Advice on a buy! Senn Hd201 vs Senn Hd202, and Sony MDR150
Dec 6, 2008 at 1:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Athlon_Rulz

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, so as the title says those are the three headphones I'm lookin at...clearly they're suuuuper cheap--but i cant realyl afford much right now...

I just wanted your opinion on which to get taking into account a few things:

Quality
Portability
Dork-iness

so far the Hd201 seems to have the greatest sound quality for the buck--but it doesnt fare so well on the second and third (at least from pics.....can anyone confirm?) The sony set wins on portability, but it has terrible quality, i hear... and the senn...well it seems to by my fave so far, but ive heard bad things abt the sound quality.

to give u an idea of wht i listen to: tons of trance/dance stuff. Lots of neo-classical stuff, movie scores, soundtracks. Some rock/alternative.

i also travel a lot, so these bad boys must deal with being stuffed in a backpack, and being x-rayed...a lot.

I want to minimize the dorkinesS
frown.gif

ALSO other suggestions appreciated (i dont need iems/buds tho..ive got a pair of JVC marshmallows for that...(notice my cheapness?))

Dec 6, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #3 of 14
hey i'm thinking of no more than 25-30$ on these.

The output device will be a Sony MZ-N910 mindisc recorder. No amp and all that...

Sound isolation must be good enough. Doesn;t have to be noise cancelling, but I should be able to listen in a quiet library at a reasonable volume, without pissing off my neighbour

Dec 6, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Athlon_Rulz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey i'm thinking of no more than 25-30$ on these.

The output device will be a Sony MZ-N910 mindisc recorder. No amp and all that...

Sound isolation must be good enough. Doesn;t have to be noise cancelling, but I should be able to listen in a quiet library at a reasonable volume, without pissing off my neighbour

Of the three I'd pick the Senn HD 202 even though it sounds somewhat dark compared to the HD 201. But this is because the HD 201, while it sounds best of the three, needs a small add-on portable amp just to produce adequate volume (since built-in headphone jacks in portable MD equipment tend to be chronically underpowered), while the Sony MDR-V150 seriously underperforms the other two (that model is basically the old on-ear freebie Walkman pack-ins inside a new, bigger shell).

Dec 6, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Benaiir /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Senn 201's have no bass.

Look on Ebay for somme 400-series's for 32ish

The 400 series might not suit the OP's needs since they're open-air, not closed.

To the OP:

In the case of the Sony MDR-V300's, they're no better than the Senn HD 202's, and cost more money (at retail) than the Senns. (In other words, the Sonys are a relatively poor value compared to those Senns.)

Dec 6, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #8 of 14
JVC HA-RX700? With free shipping on Buy.com, it's outside of your budget... but only by $3.99...

Here.

Edit: Wait, I just saw the "dorkiness" and "backpack" caveats. These may not work for you. Kinda bulky and dorky.

Dec 7, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Senn 200 models are disgusting. No bass.

Not all of them. It depends on each individual model within the closed line. The Senn 2#2 models, for instance, have somewhat bloated mid-bass response. They had to bloat that mid-bass in order to reach into the low bass.

Dec 7, 2008 at 8:57 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Senn 200 models are disgusting. No bass.

except HD205 and HD212pro.

Dec 10, 2008 at 12:24 PM Post #14 of 14
Look for some used Sony V6. Or if you don't mind orange Equation Audio RP-15MC. V150 + minidisc =
triportsad.gif
I used Senn eh150 for a while with a minidisc for portable and it wasn't too bad. They are similar to HD202.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back