advice on 880 black gold cable+
Jul 4, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #3 of 10
imo, upgrade your amp first, then recable..the stock dt880 is already nice..or get yourself a pair of leather earpad..

Jul 4, 2007 at 2:05 PM Post #4 of 10
that's it? no one else is chiming in? i too would like to know the effects of recabling the 880s. every thread that search returns has three posts max.
mad.gif
has NO one recabled? or is there some thread where it was established that the stock cables are good enough? larry's charging $250 for 3.0.m recable of blackgold. NO one has done this?

edit: i'm dropping this 880 into the pipeline in the sig. so, slightly different context than OP.

Jul 4, 2007 at 2:56 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by highlighter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what did one saggy old tit say to the other? if we dont get some support soon, theyre gonna think we're nutts.

lol

Jul 4, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #9 of 10
Just to add a different perspective, I haven't heard of anyone going with Black Gold. Pretty wekl all the Darths that people are ordering of higher end configuration are being ordered with BlackMax (or offered preconfigured with that on the Deals page).

FWIW I have the DT880/600s and am not rushing to recable, although I have thought about it. That's a lot of money for headphones that already have a decent cable. (I think that the situation is somewhat different with Darths where Larry is combining recabling and woodies to create a completely different sound signature.)

Still I'm not discouraging you (at least from BlackMax). It can only help. But no doubt the $200 I spent on my Millet Hybrid did more to improve the sound of my DT880s than any cable could. (For full disclosure, I then spent another $90 on a BlackMax interconnect...
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Jul 5, 2007 at 1:37 PM Post #10 of 10
The cable choice for should be expected to different for dt880, than it would for Darths/dt770 - they have a completely different "flavour" than the dt880. For several years now, the primary choice for re-cabling the dt880 has been Cardas - a purely copper choice.
At one time I asked a cabling person previously mentioned in these posts, and his response was the effect was "subtle". ...............so, if you love your dt880 - the first moves would be to upgrade the other aspects of your setup. The final or last step would be re-cabling if you feel further improvement is still possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back