Advice on $200 cans
Aug 27, 2010 at 2:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Stillife

New Head-Fier
Well I'm not sure if its rude or not to make my first post a "please help me decide" thread.... but I'm gonna do it anyway. Here is my dilemma. I'm looking to spend $200 on a set of full size cans here are my needs and what I've been looking at so far. Please feel free to add any veteran advice that a new convert to HiFi should hear!
smile_phones.gif

Needs:

Closed headphone
Comfortable for large head
Punchy, impacting, strong, and defined bass
I listen to a large selection of music but my main love is loud and heavy death metal (I want my head to rattle)
biggrin.gif

BluRay movies and PC video games
Impressive soundstage
Precise and accurate mids and highs

So far I have been considering Ultrasone HFI-580, Denon DN-HP1000, Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro, Sony XB700

This will be my first serious pair of headphones (well I do have a pair of Sennheiser px100's but that's it) so I really want to get some opinions before I leap. Thanks in advance!

-Stillife

Aug 27, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #6 of 15
If you like bass response...the M50s are tough to beat in the ~100 price range really.  I've tried quite a few between 100-200 and they are pretty impressive.  I just wish I could wear them comfortably with my glasses.  If I didn't wear glasses, I would never even bother looking for a more comfortable headphone.  Paired with my Cowon J3...they sound ridiculously good.

Aug 27, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #7 of 15
I keep finding myself recommending the M50s... with good reason. The only potentially better phones under $200 are the DT770. For a lot less, get the M50s and put the rest of the money towards a starter amp. Maybe just a HeadRoom Total BitHead.

When I first started reading this forum, I thought the importance of amping was wayyy overplayed. Several thousand dollars later, I've discovered the hard way that a quality amp can make all the difference in the world. 

That being said, the M50s will sound great out of a computer or receiver. Just think about getting a dedicated amp in the near future.

Aug 28, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #8 of 15
So I found Beyer Dt 770 Pro 80s for $150 and M50s for $100 on ebay. Are the Beyers worth the $50 bucks? I really budgeted $200 for this purchase but would pocket the extra cash if there is little to no difference. Any advantages comfort wise? I have a big head and those velour pads on the Beyers look comfy.

Aug 28, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #9 of 15
Put the extra $50 toward a future amp purchase.

Aug 28, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #10 of 15

[size=medium]
You know you can always buy used from the FS forum. You don't always have to buy new.
[/size]

Quote:
Well I'm not sure if its rude or not to make my first post a "please help me decide" thread.... but I'm gonna do it anyway. Here is my dilemma. I'm looking to spend $200 on a set of full size cans here are my needs and what I've been looking at so far. Please feel free to add any veteran advice that a new convert to HiFi should hear!
smile_phones.gif

Needs:

Closed headphone
Comfortable for large head
Punchy, impacting, strong, and defined bass
I listen to a large selection of music but my main love is loud and heavy death metal (I want my head to rattle)
biggrin.gif

BluRay movies and PC video games
Impressive soundstage
Precise and accurate mids and highs

So far I have been considering Ultrasone HFI-580, Denon DN-HP1000, Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro, Sony XB700

This will be my first serious pair of headphones (well I do have a pair of Sennheiser px100's but that's it) so I really want to get some opinions before I leap. Thanks in advance!

-Stillife

I recommend Beyerdynamic. I haven't heard the 770's but the 880's (250ohms) matches your needs pretty much. Now the sentence I bolded above needs an amp to achieve it. Out of those 250ohm beyers, the first thing you'll notice when amped is that; "punchy, impacting, strong, and defined bass". Then a more detailed soundstage. The beyerdynamics were very comfortable imo. I think you'll really enjoy them. Sit back, turn the music up, and forget you're wearing headphones (at least that's how I felt with the beyers).

Aug 28, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #11 of 15
Damn decisions, decisions, decisions... I'm torn between the beyers and m50s. So no votes for the Ultrasone hfi580s? I had heard all sorts of rave reviews around these forums on the bass impact. From what I can read here on the forums the M50s don't have as much low end punch as the beyer770s and Ultrasone580s. Am I wrong?

Aug 28, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #12 of 15
Go for the Beyers, you won't regret. I went with the DT 990s which are more metal oriented, but if you're more hip hop oriented then the DT 770s maybe better for you. I would want to amp the 770s and 990s though. The Beyers are a step above the M50 imo.

Aug 28, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #13 of 15
Well thanks for all the advice guys! I put up a WTB thread yesterday for AT M50s or Beyer 770s and someone offered me a barely used (5 hrs) mint condition Beyer 770 80ohm for $130 shipped. The Head-fi forums have been a real quality find for me. Got some great advice and a good deal.

A+ fellas

-Stillife

Aug 29, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #15 of 15
For what you're describing I can vouch for the 770s.  My husband has a pair and they definitely make my head rattle while blocking out everything around me - which is the reason I don't use them often.  Get paranoid not having any outside input at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back