Advice needed... my dog groomer accidently cut my dog. What do I do?
Mar 26, 2008 at 4:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 68

Rednamalas1

Headphoneus Supremus
Okay, here's what happened:
I took my dog out for grooming this morning to the dog groomer that I've been taking my dog to for last 2 years. So while the groomer was cutting my dog's fur around the stomach area, I guess she was distracted or something, and she accidentally gave my dog a cut - as my dog's skin was cut instead. Of course I flipped out, thinking that she has killed my dog (my dog let out a sharp yelp). I took a look at the cut, and thankfully it wasn't very serious - My dog had very limited bleeding as the cut was only skin deep (a rather large patch of skin, actually, about the size of a penny). I panicked and took my dog to nearby vet, and she got stitched up and she's very woozy from anesthesia right now.

The groomer offered to pay for the surgery at this point. And I'm wondering if I should take any more action. Several advices from my friends included suing the person - but I figure that would be too extreme.

My parents insist on getting extra money out of this - and I disagreed as I felt that it was an accident and groomer seem like a nice person.

Now I'm depressed as my dog is wobbling around, still dizzy from anesthesia.

Am I doing too little by just letting her to pay for the surgery only?

Mar 26, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #4 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your dog sounds like a wuss.

Mitch

Actually, after the initial yelp, she was running around outside happily with a penny sized hole on her chest (she's a tiny dog - virtually the same size as a Maltese)
Me, on the other hand, is a total wuss - I was basically in tears, about to rip groomer's head off.
tongue.gif

Mar 26, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #5 of 68
The dog would have probably healed on it's own just fine. Giving a small animal anesthesia is very dangerous. We have lost one dog this way.

If it was an accident and the dog is healing fine, why inflict gain from the person? I'm sure they feel bad about it too. If they have given you good service for 2 years, why ruin a good relationship for greed? Your friends are looking at it in a totally selfish and morally pitiful way IMO. Ultimately, you have to decide what and how to handle the situation. If you were on the other side of the situation, would you have felt bad about hurting the dog? Accidents do happen.

On the other hand, if you wanted to get services at reduced or no cost, you might be able to gain that from the employer. This might cost this person their job though. Is it worth that?

Sleep on it and see how you feel in the morning.

Mar 26, 2008 at 4:37 AM Post #6 of 68
Sorry to hear that your dog was hurt - glad it doesn't sound too serious. If it were me, I would probably take the money from the groomer (though I doubt I would go there again). I wouldn't pursue the matter further (unless of course the groomer refused to pay or apologize). Several years ago my barber cut my ear, a lawsuit never once crossed my mind - I mean why ruin someone's livelihood over one mistake? I doubt a court would award you much more than the groomer is already volunteering to pay...

Mar 26, 2008 at 4:37 AM Post #7 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The dog would have probably healed on it's own just fine. Giving a small animal anesthesia is very dangerous. We have lost one dog this way.

If it was an accident and the dog is healing fine, why inflict gain from the person? I'm sure they feel bad about it too. If they have given you good service for 2 years, why ruin a good relationship for greed? Your friends are looking at it in a totally selfish and morally pitiful way IMO. Ultimately, you have to decide what and how to handle the situation. If you were on the other side of the situation, would you have felt bad about hurting the dog? Accidents do happen.

On the other hand, if you wanted to get services at reduced or no cost, you might be able to gain that from the employer. This might cost this person their job though. Is it worth that?

I agree with this statement 100%. Of course the dog will be a little woozy after anesthesia, its a very small dog. Give her time to sleep it off and I am sure she will be fine. That said, continuing to see that groomer is a good idea as she will make every effort not to make the same mistake again and your dog will likely be safer there than probably anywhere else.

Mar 26, 2008 at 4:37 AM Post #8 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't think anyone could have said it better, but I laughed really hard when reading braille's comment.

Mar 26, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #9 of 68
what are you thinking? you want to sue your dog groomer? do you have any realization at all about what they make? i'm ****ing appalled you actually felt the need to get surgery and are going to have the groomer pay that, which i'm sure wasn't cheap; i'm just blown out of my mind; your parents and friends want you to sue your dog groomer; i really want to start cursing now..............................you should be ashamed of yourself

you sound like the girl i had a fender-bender with back in high school and decided to sue; luckily they dropped the lawsuit when it became clear that she wasn't actually hurt enough to rape my bank account; what's the matter with people

Mar 26, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #10 of 68
It sounds like you had a long term relationship with the groomer. Like you said an accident happened and it wasn't serious. I could see not wanting to pay for the grooming, but why make it more than that? Well more than getting new friends, that is.

Mar 26, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #12 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
**** you; you want to sue your dog groomer? you think they make the big bucks? **** you; do you not have a clue how ****ing wrong that is? what's wrong with you; greedy ******

Who ever said that? Did you read his post?

He doesn't want to sue.

Mar 26, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #13 of 68
Tell the groomer that you have an expensive hobby, that requires some extra income, so he/her should pay for your next amp.....
biggrin.gif

Man a dog for lovely that it could be, is not worth the hassle and the problems you may cause that person, a human being, andm aybe a person responsible for a family, as maybe including the job loss, etc....Let him/her pay the full extend of the expenses you had, and any future that may come from this accident, and lesson learned for both you and the groomer...

Mar 26, 2008 at 5:01 AM Post #15 of 68
You should probably just let the groomer pay the vet's bills. I'm not familiar with Canadian law, but there generally isn't much of a recovery for this sort of thing in the US. There have been a few cases here in California where damages were limited to the value of the pet, and that was when the animal died.

You're probably upset now and understandably so. But think about what happened. The groomer did not want to hurt your dog. It happened, your dog will recover, and the only thing you're out is the vet's bill. I'd let the groomer pay the vet's bill, and, in good faith, I'd keep going back. Accidents happen, so try to fix things as best as possible, and don't let a mistake ruin a relationship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back