Advice needed | DAP as home stereo source | Connection options | Fiio X3 III vs. xDuoo X20
May 31, 2018 at 12:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

AstralVoyages

New Head-Fier
I am looking to buy my first entry level DAP. I want to use the device primary as a source feeding into my Yamaha A-S501 amplifier (70% usage), but also as a portable music player (30%). I am torn between two devices/ setups. Apart from different specs, these setups differ in the way they are connected to my stereo system. I only have limited knowledge regarding this issue, so I hope to find some help here.

xDuoo X20 DAP
Connection to Yamaha amp either via coax or via 3.5 line-out-to-cinch connection

Fiio X3 III DAP + Fiio K5 docking station
Connection to Yamaha amp via (fixed) cinch line-out of docking station

I have to following questions:
  1. xDuoo: When I use the coax connection, the signal is digital. The DAC in my amp will be used. Is this correct?
  2. xDuoo: In this DAP price range, would it be more appropriate to use the DAC of the player (and output the analog signal via line-out) than to use the amp DAC? Are there any advantages of using coax and amp DAC?
  3. Fiio: Are there any advantages of using the cinch line-out of the docking station? Or does this combination have any other benefits compared to the xDuoo solution?
Thank you

May 31, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #2 of 3
1) yes, the Yamaha's DAC function is being used when the connection is using the S/PDIF optical or coaxial connection (input) on the Yamaha.
2} xDuoo, vs Yamaha, which unit's DAC function provides better audio quality? Use whichever connection (digital or analog) sounds best to your ears.
3) Not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back