Advice gaming headset/phone
Jun 9, 2011 at 6:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

MaximV

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I am new on this forum and I am looking for some help.

I am looking for a decent headset.
He will probably only be used for games. Some examples of games I play: BFBC 2,Starcraft II, AoE III, L4D 2, ...

I've never had a decent headset, currently my x540 speakerset makes the sound.

I am planning to use my onboard sound. I would sell my sound card (Creative X-FiTitanium Fatal1ty Professional Series) to fund my headset.

Now the question is what to buy: USB headset, stereo headset or  a real 5.1 headset (and keaping my sound card .).
Could I have a 3.5 headset jack to use with my surround equipment? I have a blue, pink and gray input that are unused.

I already looked up a couple of headsets: (max. € 80 or 120$)

- Roccat KAVE sound + € 71
- Logitech G35 € 80
- SteelSeries Siberia V2 (USB) € 61 / € 80
- Creative tactic3D Sigma € 53
- Corsair HS1 (A) € 55 / € 75

Are there other alternatives for my budget or any one of these headsets should I choose?
Or would it be better to buy a headphone + a clip-on mic?

Sorry for my bad English but it's not my main language.

Thanks in advance
Maxim

Jun 9, 2011 at 7:20 AM Post #2 of 12
its sad that youll have to sell your sound card to get a headset. if u could keep it and get the steelseries siberia v2 analog one then youre good. or get a cheaper sound card like xtremegamer after selling your current card.

for gaming i think those headsets you mentioned are fine,just look for the most comfortable one when you wear them.

and what kind of surround equipment do you have?

Jun 9, 2011 at 7:27 AM Post #3 of 12
Forget about surround headphones. Get a secondhand Audio Technica ATH-AD700 or a brandnew Superlux HD668b and use your audio card's virtual surround. As a mic you could use the Zalman ZM-MIC1. Oh, and don't sell your audio card. Or if you do, replace it with a cheaper Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer. 

F
or your reference:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/534479/mad-lust-envy-aka-shin-cz-s-guide-to-headphone-gaming-particularly-with-dolby-headphone
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/483802/quest-for-holy-grail-of-gaming-sound

Jun 9, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #4 of 12

Quote:

and what kind of surround equipment do you have?

At the moment I use the Logitech X540 5.1 speakerset.

Quote:
Forget about surround headphones. Get a secondhand Audio Technica ATH-AD700 or a brandnew Superlux HD668b and use your audio card's virtual surround. As a mic you could use the Zalman ZM-MIC1. Oh, and don't sell your audio card. Or if you do, replace it with a cheaper Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer. 

For your reference:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/534479/mad-lust-envy-aka-shin-cz-s-guide-to-headphone-gaming-particularly-with-dolby-headphone

Thanks for the links, I can't find the Audio Technica ATH-AD70 in Europe, and like in your first link it's maybe to 'competitive', I want to enjoy of the sound: feel helicopters flying over, exploding grenades, ... 
The Superlux HD668b costs 30$ but I am willing to pay more for a better headset. If necessary I just keep my sound card.

I can keep my audio card if it is better as the USB-sound cards and if you really hear the difference between them.

Jun 9, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #5 of 12
I am telling you the truth if you want the best gaming sound grab the Steelseries, there is no way you will be disappointed, I currently use the Steelseries V1 Siberia. amazing headphones, They might even blow out some of the audiophile headphones

Jun 16, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #6 of 12
I decided to keep my sound card. So now my question is what 3.5 or USB headset jackshould I buy for a price around $ 120.

I'm going to use it for gaming only, not competitve, just for fun. It would be nice if I could hear the other players walking behind me, but I just want the best in-game experience. 

Thanks in advance
Maxim

Jun 16, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #8 of 12

Quote:

F
or your reference:

Agreed.

Don't sell your soundcard, get the AD700 and the Zalman clip on mic, and you will have better gaming audio performance than any of those "gaming headsets", by far.

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #9 of 12
I have read the thread that you 'linked'. 

That person says:
Quote:
That is their biggest issue. Bass is so light, it sounds like a tin can attempting to sound like a subwoofer. Just no bass, lol. So for immersive, non-competitive gaming, these aren't going to impress. 

I will use them for non-competitive gaming, so I think that the bass is a little bit to light.

And the second problem is that i can't find a shop in Europe where the sell the AD700.

Quote:
Steelseries are PERFECT for gaming, very very good soundstage headphones (for their price)

But if you ask me, they lack the bass so they're not so enjoyable for music.

Is the Steelseries Siberia V2 in combination with my sound card a good choice? Will I have virtual surround?

Are there other headsets that you would recommend?

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
I have read the thread that you 'linked'. 

That person says:
I will use them for non-competitive gaming, so I think that the bass is a little bit to light.

And the second problem is that i can't find a shop in Europe where the sell the AD700.

Is the Steelseries Siberia V2 in combination with my sound card a good choice? Will I have virtual surround?

Are there other headsets that you would recommend?

The sooner you realize that headsets sold for gaming have close to zero quality, the better. Read the page I linked (no quotes), there are enough options for you to choose from, on different price ranges. And yes, those are real headphones.

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #11 of 12
A headphone + mic is ok  for me, but the offer of headphones is so big. I will read your linked threads more closely.

If there are other headphones in my price range that you would advice, you're free to reply.
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 19, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #12 of 12
I bought the creative fatality for like $50 and they have served me well for 2 years, with daily use. If you treat them well they won't brake. Trust me, I'm a professional gamer and the sound of these $50 headset has served me very well. My.cousin is one of the best at cs 1.6 and he's using the v2's and he loves them.

If its any help, all my pc gear is from steelseries, gotta love 'em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back