Advice for new IEM choice
Dec 4, 2010 at 4:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

stephanNL

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I am looking for some new in-ear monitors to combine with my new iPod Touch 4G. I'm currently on Nuforce NE-6 which were absolutely brilliant in combination with my Sony NWZ-A828. Big advantage of the 828 was the custom EQ which makes it very easy to get your IEMs to suit your personal preferences in terms of sound.

However, in combination with the iPod Touch I find the Nuforce NE-6 to be less of an ideal combination. I've tried to look if some of the EQ presets could provide a nice match but to no avail. When turning the EQ off I feel the NE-6 sound to tinny and there's too much emphasis on the high frequencies and the mid range sounds pretty flat. If I listen on high volumes the highs become pretty painful and unpleasant. I've also tried bass booster EQ preset but this damps the high frequencies just a bit too much. So the ideal situation would be a IEM that has a more "controlled" (don't know how to put it in other words) highs and better mids while keeping a good amount of bass. I'm don't think I'm specifically looking for a IEM with a really flat response, since I like to have a fair amount of bass since I mostly listen to Electronic (Techno, House, Dubstep) music and occasionally some Hip-Hop.

I've looked through the multi IEM thread and focused on the $60-$100 segment. From what I've read the Klipsch S4 looked like a potential good fit since they have quite a powerful bass according to the review. If the highs of the S4 is more "controlled" than the NE-6 in combination with an iPod Touch this might be a winner. So does anyone have any experience with the S4 in combination with an iPod Touch?

Other IEMS that looked interesting where the Panasonic HJE-900 because of its great sound quality and the description of the bass with terms like "strong, controlled bass" and "hard hitting", although the description "accentuated presentation of the upper mids/lower treble" makes me a bit worried of too sharp/crispy highs for my liking on high volumes.

The Brainwavz M2 looked like a good pair too with good bass, although the isolation is not that great.

I just saw the topic on the Nuforce NE-700 and I must say they look beautiful! I have been very satisfied with the NE-6 in combination with my previous Sony NWZ-A828, so if they are a step up and sound good in combination with an iPod Touch I'm definitely interested!

I know it's no comparison but I also have a Pioneer HDJ-2000 I use for DJ sets and this sound absolutely brilliant with the iPod Touch. But it's hard to throw anything at the 2000s which would make them sound like crap.

So recap on what I'm looking for:
- IEMs for under €100
- Good bass, rather too much than too little, yet defined
- Highs that don't start to annoy/hurt the ears on higher volumes
- Isolation should be up to par, although not the most important

Sorry for the long post. I just wanted to give a clear insight in what I'm looking for. Looking forward to your advice!

Dec 7, 2010 at 9:34 AM Post #3 of 15
HJE900 isn't too bright. I'd actually go and say that it is neutrally warm. However, they have been cut out of the US market, so, the only way you can get the HJE900 would be to import it from other countries. The UK market still has them from what I heard.

On the other IEMs, I actually can't make too much of a comment.

Mentioning the Brainwavz M2 though, I thought you should give the Brainwavz M3 a shot. The last time I auditioned them, I found them very full-bodied and warm, yet still managing to retain details. They surprised me for the labeled price, they are quite good (around $80).

Dec 7, 2010 at 10:27 AM Post #4 of 15
Thanks for the reply man.

I just talked to some other headphone enthusiasts and they recommended to give the M2 a try since I was looking for something similar to the NE-6 in terms of bass but with a bit more definition yet not too sharp highs. I got a great deal, got pair of Brainwavz M1 for free at mp4nation, it was a christmas coupon promotion. Totalled $57.50 for M1 + M2. Always good to have some backup with that  M1 pair for free
biggrin.gif

Dec 7, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #5 of 15

Quote:
HJE900 isn't too bright. I'd actually go and say that it is neutrally warm. However, they have been cut out of the US market, so, the only way you can get the HJE900 would be to import it from other countries. The UK market still has them from what I heard.

What the heck does neutrally warm mean??

M2 is a pretty good choice. I have it and I really like it. I also got in on a recent mp4nation deal for a free M1 but it was to get a dap :) Considering how people like the M1 it seems like a good backup or could be a good gift iem.

Dec 7, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #6 of 15
I was trying to say that I find them between neutral and warm? I guess I should have just said slightly warm, eh?
redface.gif

Dec 7, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #7 of 15
One word about the HJE900 -- if the NE-6 seems shy in the mids to you due to the strongs lows & highs (I remember it that way, too), then the HJE900 will probably be the same way for you.  It is also very strong in bass and highs and the mids seem recessed to me.  It gives great details, but without EQ'ing the mids up a good bit, it was pretty dark sounding to me.

Dec 7, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #8 of 15
I wouldn't call the HJE900 neutral ever but that's just me. Warm is something to describe them. Although I would say that the M2 is warmer and hits harder than the HJE900 with similar bass extension. The treble is where the HJE900 sets it apart from the M2 in technical ability.

Dec 7, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #9 of 15

Quote:
I wouldn't call the HJE900 neutral ever but that's just me. Warm is something to describe them. Although I would say that the M2 is warmer and hits harder than the HJE900 with similar bass extension. The treble is where the HJE900 sets it apart from the M2 in technical ability.

I have the impression that neutral is part of the warm and bright spectrum. But the way you put it, I guess that'd be right. I was trying to put a finger into why the HJE900 sounded slightly "stranger" compared to other neutral earphones. Having a good treble along with a strong bass would explain the reason.

I am sorry, I still have a lot to learn in audiophilic jargon.
redface.gif

Dec 7, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #11 of 15
Brainwavz M3 if you want more fun lush sounds. More analytical would be RE-ZERO.  Or perhaps it's time to upgrade a bit?  Consider moving up the price bracket a bit and you won't regret it!

Dec 7, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #13 of 15
hellz no the hje900 isnt neutral.

I now agree after rawrster and kmhaynes's explanation, like I said, I thought neutral was part of the warm and bright spectrum. Again, I am sorry if anyone got offended that I might have accidentally misled the topic creator. :rolleyes:

Dec 7, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #14 of 15

Quote:
I am sorry, I still have a lot to learn in audiophilic jargon.
redface.gif

I wouldn't worry about it. It comes as you spend more time here or if you start writing reviews. I wasn't that good at describing what I was hearing until I started to write some reviews here. Here's a good place to start: http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/MUG/bbs/stereophile_audio-glossary.html

Dec 7, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it. It comes as you spend more time here or if you start writing reviews. I wasn't that good at describing what I was hearing until I started to write some reviews here. Here's a good place to start: http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/MUG/bbs/stereophile_audio-glossary.html

Quote:
I got the same thing. These new terms are confusing at times. I found this though, very handy:

http://www.head-fi.org/wiki/describing-sound-a-glossary

Thanks for the link, I actually know that glossary existed before... but back then, I was too new to make any sense out of those words. This is probably a good time to make a revisit!
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back