Advice for contracting audiophile syndrome...
May 12, 2008 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

kskoba

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I've been lurking on the boards for a few months now, reading setups, learning the lingo, and staring at beautiful headphone recable jobs.

Being strongly tied to music by being a drummer in a band over the past 11 years, I figure that it is only fair to my ears to upgrade from my current computer speaker setup.

I already own a decent soundcard (I think) in the form of an Azuentech Digital X-Mystique 7.1 soundcard. But thats about the extent of it.

Here is a plan that I have been considering.
audiosetup.jpg

My problems are:

- Is the overall setup a good idea? Ideally I would like to keep the headphones connected at all times, with the amps stowed in a shelving unit beside the computer. Permanent connection would allow for better cable organization. This is the reasoning behind headphones hooked up to the tape out of the receiver. When I would like to switch from speakers to headphones, I can just hit a button on the receiver.

- Suggestions for speakers for a 2.1 (later 3.1) setup? (Can be individual speakers, don't need a package like a Swans system)
- Starter headphone amps?
- Recommended AT closed headphones? (I enjoy the isolation, music consists of Rock, Electronic, and Jazz)

Thanks for any suggestions!

May 12, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #2 of 11
You really need to tell the budget for the amps, headphones and so on. I am very happy with my Little Dot MKIII headphone amp and it has nice value too. As for closed headphone the Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro might be nice, or the Audio technica A900.

May 12, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #4 of 11
I'd get a lot more power for my money with a Panasonic SA-XR55. Just read the reviews...

Panasonic SA-XR55 - Google Search

...there is one dissenter here. I don't hear what he hears at all, but get it from someplace who will take the return within 30 days, if you're worried. You won't send it back.

It's a full digital amp and delivers remarkable performance for the money. You should be able to find one under $200 and it will send two of its 100 watt (into 6 ohms, about 75 watts into 8 ohms) amps to each of your speakers in stereo mode. Then I'd pick up two of these...

Stereophile: Infinity Primus P162 loudspeaker

...Crutchfield has them for $100 each, 30 day trial, they pay shipping both ways if you don't like them. Can't lose. Then I'd pick up one of these...

Amazon.com: Infinity PS210 Powered subwoofer: Electronics

...the matching sub. 10", 300 watts. Should be more than enough for music. Might want something bigger if you want to amplify train wrecks or bombing raids. I think it's a good idea to have fronts and subs from the same company and series. Like men and women, they're hard enough to integrate, even when they're made for each other.

Then I'd buy the phones of choice and plug them into the Panny. I plug Sennheiser HD580s in there and it has oodles of power and clarity and great bass control. If you find a $200 headphone amp that sounds noticeably better, let me know. I want one of those.

Tim

May 12, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #5 of 11
Your setup looks fine and tfarney, as usual, has good recommendations.

The only thing you should consider are open headphones. Almost everyone comes here wanting closed headphones with good isolation and then moves to open headphones. For your tastes, a Sennheiser HD-600 or a Beyerdynamic DT880 would be a good fit and in your budget. If you're willing to buy used, you could have both.

May 12, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #6 of 11
Gorgeous setup, you are doing for the most part fine:

1. Why do you want a center channel, but no rears? If you want to play back stereo, just stick to left and right channels. Lowers the cost, spring for some better speakers.

2. Headphones: as suggested, you may be more interested in open headphones, but that depends on many factors... As far as ATs for listening to percussion - you are left with AD2000 or ESW9, but I would look elsewhere, since the rest of the AT spectrum is not too good on impact (save L3000 - but good luck getting one, and they cost over 2 grand on used market only now). The suggestions of DT880 and HD600 may be more appropriate, using larger portion of the budget on a headphone amp.

3. Maybe you want to use a headphone amp with pass-through connections and have the AVR take input from it? That may be cleaner.

May 12, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #7 of 11
Thanks a ton for all the suggestions guys. Found a used model of the amp that tfarney mentioned nearby for $200. I can't really find any retailers (online or otherwise) in Canada that are still carrying it.

I was considering a center speaker only because I figured it would solidify the sound even further than only left and right.

Rear speakers won't be an option in my apartment, so I was trying to get the most sound from the front as possible. Tonight I'll be going to the local hi-fi store to check out some of the headphones listed. Crossing my fingers I see some of the ones mentioned on the trade forum here. Definitely not aversive to buying used.

May 13, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by kskoba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was considering a center speaker only because I figured it would solidify the sound even further than only left and right.

Some will argue against this next point, but in my experience, a good 2-channel setup will have a more seamless integration of the "center" imaging than 3-channel, actually. Somehow, having a center channel often seems to create a bit too much separation, leaving a bit of a void between it and the side speakers. Just my two cents, though.

As long as you get speakers that can image well, get some good solid stands, and spend the necessary time to position them well for your listening spot, I suggest that you're much better off spending more money in two good speakers than 3... well... less good speakers.
rolleyes.gif

May 13, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #9 of 11
I agree that a center channel is not necessary for a single listener. The point of having a center channel is generally so that dialogue in movies, for example, still comes from the center even if the listener is sitting off to one side or another, as is common when more than one person is watching a movie. If you're just listening to music by yourself, sitting centered between a pair of speakers that image well, I'd skip the center channel.

May 13, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #10 of 11
By the way, your budget is pretty big...why not just get a paid of JBL LSR4328p studio monitors, nearfields. They have electronics that account for the shape of your room, making their sound much more even, and generally deliver great clarity/soundstage. They are active, and will take inputs from your audiocard (either digital or analog, your choice).

Just grab a pair of headphones to use straight out of your audiocard for time being (the earlier mentioned AD2000 or something will serve you just fine, or you can go for a Grado for rock listening). This should seriously beat most of your other options in quality for the money.

May 13, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #11 of 11
+3 on the center channel. That'll just booger up the imaging if this system is primarily for music. Regarding the Panasonic, Google for an SA-XR57 instead of the 55 and you may have better luck, and it's the same receiver with an HDMI port. Besides, if you buy new from the right source, you buy the right to return it if you don't like what you hear. I'm pretty sure you will, but YMMV.

I may have missed something -- is this a desktop system? If so, you'll need a pretty big desk for the Infinity P-162s, and you may not need a sub. If placed directly on your desk and close to the wall behind them, the bass may be plenty solid enough for you, unless you're listening to pipe organ music. Try them alone before you spend the extra $300. Personally, I'm a big proponent of finding the best possible price/performance ratio, coming in under budget and spending the balance on new music.

Some people get their ya-yas out by owning the best they can possibly afford. I get mine from getting so close it hardly matters, for a lot less $. YMMV.

The one thing I do believe in without hesitation is headroom. More watts than you ever think you'll need. I wouldn't touch that HK with only 30 watts per channel if I ever intended to crank it up. It will clip. Clipping's not good. Of course if you're talking about a desktop system, the speakers are going to be 3 - 4 feet from your head. Headroom is a completely different equation then.

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back