Advice for a starter setup - around 200$ (DAC+AMP or soundcard)
Nov 25, 2012 at 3:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

pablobaluba

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

I'm quite a newbie as an audiophile, but I have browsed recently the forums a lot and collected some useful information.

I currently own Sennheiser HD555 and AKG K518 (and plan to get the new AKG K267).
First of all, please correct me if I am wrong. Right now I am using the inegrated sound card of my 4 years old pc. I'm thinking to update my audio setup for my computer, so I think the first thing to buy is a better source. This could be a better soundcard or an external DAC+AMP that will bypass the actual internal soundcard. I understand that basically they both are DACs...one internal and one external. But I am confused about which one would be better in the same price range. I would like something around 200$ ...I could go even a bit higher if it's really worth. I'm only interested in sound quality for music...not games or other stuff.

Personally I see more advantages on an DAC+AMP. It's kinda portable (can be used with other pcs too) and has a built in amplifier. I would prefer this solution instead of buying a separate DAC and a separate AMP which will lead to a much higher price. I just need a starter setup, that will be an improvement over my actual built-in sound card.

I owned a Fiio E7. I could hear a better soundstage, but the improvement was not so big as I expected.

I have seen some interesting products: Yulong U100, Matrix Cube, Audinst HUD mini. Would I benefit from these products? Are they worth the investment in my case?

Help will be appreciated. If you need more info, please let me know.

Thanks!

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #2 of 2
Any other suggestions for good DAC+AMPs beside the ones mentioned above? I was looking even at the D100 Yulong, even if it is more expensive, but I read that there were some problems after some time with it.
Maybe the Schiit Bifrost is more reliable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back