Advice for a detail-oriented setup
May 18, 2013 at 2:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

TK277

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all. I'm looking into my next set-up, dream or otherwise. Over the past year I put a lot of my money into exploring portable iems. I think I found my preferred sound in the process. Of all the gear I have been able to experience thus far, my ATH-CK100PRO iems are my absolute favorite. I find it to be analytical without being boring. I prefer it over my CK10 and Westone 3 in all instances. Maybe it's just the level of detail that amazes me. Very clear, crisp. The most detailed thing I've ever experienced, and the most expensive I've got at $500. 

For the past few months, I've been using the CK100PRO exclusively with the dragonfly DAC/AMP. I've now settled into a permanent address though, and my current set-up isn't perfect yet... the dragonfly doesn't provide a black floor for the iems (it's too powerful?). No device I own and use with it is completely noise free.

Currently, my stationery set-up goes like this: Macbook Pro > Dragonfly USB DAC/AMP > Little Dot I+ (tube and op-amp rolled) > Sennheiser HD-598 or modded Fostex T50RP. Unfortunately, I prefer the sound of the ATH-CK100PRO over my stationery set-up, which was pieced together over the past 2 years as a beginner.

I'm open to suggestions for a headphone / dac / amp combination. I want the headphone version of the ATH-CK100PRO (or better!), or a DAC that will give me a black floor with the CK100PRO. The only thing I can't change in my chain is the Macbook Pro. Oh, and no Grados. Tried the 225i last summer...the sound was pretty good, but the comfort (or lack thereof) I could not tolerate.

tldr;
I want detail-oriented headphones. Fast. Transparent. Non-fatiguing or harsh. Aiming around $1000 tops per component in the chain, if you're inclined to suggest a dac or amp to go with. I have started looking at the Audeze LCD-2 and Schiit Gungnir, but I don't know if that's what I'm looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back