Advantages to using a headphone stand?
Aug 8, 2011 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

JasonZ10

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, are there any advantages to having a headphone stand aside from space saving? I really want this stand but I live on an island with no Ikea and I probably won't be able to go to one any time soon unless I can convince my parents to go in Los Angeles. As for now, are my headphones fine just resting on my Launchpad or should i rest them over my monitor/satellite speakers for now?

Aug 9, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #2 of 16
Organization. Had a banana stand for my grado till the family needed it for actual bananas. Now my grado somehow finds itself on the floor often. I'm not a clever man when it comes to organization. 

Aug 9, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #3 of 16
Heya,

Zero advantage, other than physical things like looking pleasing, organized, and increasing space available on an area. Otherwise, it helps to protect headphones from being stepped on if they're not on the floor, keeps them off a desk, should you spill something, and keeps the cord away from all your other stuff, to avoid being damaged too. Headphone stands are excellent in general, for helping organize and protect your headphone collection. But beyond that, they do nothing for the headphone or your listening to them.

Also, look into just going to your local hardware/lumber shop. Get a thick piece of nice oak or pine. Stain it to your liking. Instant classy looking headphone stand.

Very best,

Aug 9, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #5 of 16

Quote:
Also, look into just going to your local hardware/lumber shop. Get a thick piece of nice oak or pine. Stain it to your liking. Instant classy looking headphone stand.

Very best,

Thanks for your input.

I might just go out to Rona or a similar store and buy a few pieces of PVC and just make a simple one and drill it to my desk. If I can't figure out a good way to do that I'll definitely use your suggestion.

Aug 9, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #6 of 16

Quote:
Thanks for your input.

I might just go out to Rona or a similar store and buy a few pieces of PVC and just make a simple one and drill it to my desk. If I can't figure out a good way to do that I'll definitely use your suggestion.

Heya,

You can certainly make it out of PVC. Just get some primer too, and paint it a solid color after you glue it all together. Maybe pick up a cheap piece of cut wood as a mount to keep the top heavy stand from flopping over with your headphones. It's a cheap way to make something effective.

Otherwise, again, check out something like a 3 inch thick square piece of red oak that is a few feet long. Cut it to a length you want. Sand and polish. Then stain. It will look incredible. Custom making it costs like $20 instead of the $200+ it would cost for someone to do it for you.

I'm working on a project this week, to make 6 headphone stands out of oak. I haven't done anything other than buy the raw wood at this point. Here's the basic idea, nothing done or made yet of course, but you get an idea of the size of piece of wood I'm talking about. It was like $17 for a 3 foot block of red oak.

Very best,

Aug 9, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #7 of 16
I actually cut a piece of metal, rounded the edges, sanded it, polished it, drilled holes and covered it in cloth. It looks ghetto fabulous but it works really well, because it's screwed into my wooden post beside my desk. 

Aug 9, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #8 of 16
Also, can I suggest instead of drilling it to your desk, you drill it to a wooden plaque instead? You can get one from Michael's for like 4 bucks and you can stain it any color your heard desires. This way, at least it's movable and not forever stuck to your desk. 

Aug 9, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #9 of 16
I have two of the Koss hooks that mount on the edge of table. They were $6 each. The only reason to spend more is for aesthetic reasons. Mainly they get the cans out of the way and keep them much safer than if they were simply lying around. My cans end up on one or the other at the end of the day so I know where to find them when I want to use them again.

Aug 9, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #10 of 16
I just ordered six of these IDENTICAL to OP's I'm going to modify them with a Sennheiser HH-10 headphone holder (I'm going to take the headband support off and attach it to the headphone stand)
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/523324/new-headphone-stand

Aug 9, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #11 of 16
Depending on the cans and the stand, you can save your cans' parts from stress. I used to keep only my HD600 on a stand so it's less likely I'dd drag the plastics on the table, and the SR225 is laid out flat under that. It deflated that pair of pads sooner, about 5months; I got one for it too after that.

Aug 9, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #13 of 16

Quote:

Not when you own electrostats. Spill water on those babies and good bye investment.

You snipped it out, but that was exactly quoted in the paragraph. Spills. This is a physical thing. It's not like it enhances headphones. Also, a stand doesn't do this because it's a stand. Having your headphones on top of anything other than your area where you slurp a drink or place a glass is going to accomplish the same thing. Stands are just convenient and look nice and provide some help in organization and prevention of various damages. But again, it doesn't give an advantage specific to headphones that can't be applied to... your cell phone for example. It's all about presentation and protection when it's not involving your actual headphone setup/circuit.

Very best,

Aug 9, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #14 of 16
As much as I understand the appeal of using a stand as a way to exhibit a headphone, personally I prefer to store my headphones in the case/pouch/box, where they belong. I feel that they are better protected against dust and such things and the box can still serve the exhibition role if it has the brand logo on it.

Aug 9, 2011 at 5:08 AM Post #15 of 16

Quote:
As much as I understand the appeal of using a stand as a way to exhibit a headphone, personally I prefer to store my headphones in the case/pouch/box, where they belong. I feel that they are better protected against dust and such things and the box can still serve the exhibition role if it has the brand logo on it.

Heya,

Headphones don't get dusty if you're listening to them.
tongue_smile.gif

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back