Adjustable gain headphone amplifier for $75-150
Dec 27, 2013 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jeremy205100

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a headphone amplifier to use instead of my TEAC UD-H01 DAC's built in one. I feel like the DAC's degrading the sound on my Beyerdynamic COPs since it is fixed gain and these really need a lower gain setting. But I also have a DT 990 600 Ohm so I need a high gain setting as well. I don't really want to break the bank with this. I was looking at the Asgard 2 but it seems expensive and has humming issues. Their customer support is also annoying. 

Must-haves:
Gain switch
No wall wart (uses standard power cable instead)

Want (can compromise):
Metal construction
Solid state
Clean design
Power switch on front (not back)
1/4 inch input (don't want to have to adapt)

This is primarily going to be for the COPs through the RCA out of my DAC. But I would also expect it to work with my DT 990s. I'd really appreciate any ideas or suggestions.

Dec 27, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #2 of 10
  I am looking for a headphone amplifier to use instead of my TEAC UD-H01 DAC's built in one. I feel like the DAC's degrading the sound on my Beyerdynamic COPs since it is fixed gain and these really need a lower gain setting. But I also have a DT 990 600 Ohm so I need a high gain setting as well. I don't really want to break the bank with this. I was looking at the Asgard 2 but it seems expensive and has humming issues. Their customer support is also annoying. 

Must-haves:
Gain switch
No wall wart (uses standard power cable instead)

Want (can compromise):
Metal construction
Solid state
Clean design
Power switch on front (not back)
1/4 inch input (don't want to have to adapt)

This is primarily going to be for the COPs through the RCA out of my DAC. But I would also expect it to work with my DT 990s. I'd really appreciate any ideas or suggestions.

Sell off the Teac UD-H01 and buy a Audio-GD NFB-15.32, DAC/Amp, $255+shipping.

Dec 28, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #5 of 10
Dec 28, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #7 of 10
  How will it work with lower impedance headphones like the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros? Thanks for the reply.

it worked fine with my grado rs1i's , they are lower impedance,

Dec 28, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #9 of 10
  Is it a good value for $250? It's a bit past my budget.

well, IMO, yes, its a great value
another option, would be the fiio e09k, but you said no walwart
it is great, around $110 or so, it was my first stand alone headphone amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back