Adding XLR connectors to the HD800
Jul 6, 2009 at 5:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

ServinginEcuador

Founder of the Head-Fi Pay-to-Post Program.
After some encouragement form dallan I decided to attempt something crazy: cutting my HD800 cable and soldering in some XLR connectors. I have a soldering iron, solder, and a pair of old ICs with the XLR connectors. I plan on taking the XLR connectors off the cables and soldering them into the HD800 cable.

Without a DMM I'm flying a little blind, so I need some help. Anyone with firsthand knowledge or experience is welcome to help with advice or suggestions. I plan on practicing a little first, just to try my old, rusty soldering skills that never were very good at all.

1. Are the wires in the stock HD800 cable easily distinguished as a different color for L-R-Gnd?

2. If so, what are the colors that correspond to each?

For now, that's all I can think of.

Jul 6, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #2 of 23
Well, I found the post with the wire color coding. Now all I need is the guts to cut the HD800 cable. At that point there's no going back!

Jul 6, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #3 of 23
Get a $5 DMM from Harbor Freight. Save yourself a headache. If you want, I have an extra one, PayPal me $10 and you'll have it at your door in 3 days.
wink.gif

Jul 6, 2009 at 8:07 AM Post #5 of 23
I suggest going with a 4-pin xlr, give the conductors a little leeway, and affix the strain relief to the outer jacket.
The hd800 cables from the pictures I've seen uses small conductors, I wouldn't count on it doing well from a durability standpoint if you used the 3pin xlrs.

Jul 6, 2009 at 11:52 AM Post #6 of 23
4 pin XLR is the way to go, even if you have to build a separate 4 pin to dual 3 pin adapter to mate with a dual 3 pin amp output. You'll have the problem of making a "Y" in the stock cable. The stock cable on the HD800 is nice enough that it would be a shame to goober it up with a "Y". The swap to 4 pin is painless and only about 10 minutes work. The only possible snafu is keeping the wire jacket from fraying while you secure it in the strain relief and that isn't much of a challenge.

The results going balanced are nice, you won't be sorry for doing the mod.

I absolutely won't tolerate dual 3 pin for balanced headphones on my equipment and I would replace the dual 3 pin output jacks on any amps with a single 4 pin rather than use an adapter cable as well - if that is what your project is.

Jul 6, 2009 at 12:23 PM Post #7 of 23
Never trust that what one person finds for wire color coding will be the same as you do, always double check with a multi-meter or other means.

Jul 6, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #8 of 23
I have had no issues on either of my TWO hd800 cables balanced 2 x 3pin xlr.

This link is worthy, in case you haven't seen it - might be worth a sticky, renamed, of course.

Jul 6, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #9 of 23
Good to know there are others who see dual XLRs for the atrocity they truly are.

But even a single XLR is still just hideously large for something like a headphone plug, and they weigh a ton. Maybe if you're connecting some inefficient speakers up to 300 watt amps they'd be ok (they're rated at 8 amps per pin). But headphones?

The best solution for headphones in my opinion (provided you're not using large gauge wire) is a four pin Redel connector.

redel2.jpg

Mouser is now stocking them so they're readily available. Though they only stock the gray body versions which aren't quite as sexy as the black ones.

Though given the aesthetic design of the 800s, a four pin "00" size Lemo connector would be quite nice as well. And Mouser is stocking them now too.

k

Jul 6, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Lemo-00 is sexy, but much more expensive than an XLR.

And an XLR is much more expensive than a pair of 25 cent RCAs.

Your point?

I mean, this thread is about a $1,400 pair of headphones after all.

And even then, you can get a mated pair of the Lemos for about $50. One could probably get $50 begging for change in front of the local grocery store in a few hours.

k

Jul 6, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #12 of 23
Quite a turn for the OP - to go from wanting to solder on some XLR, that he has on hand, and presumably fit his equiptment, to begging for change in front of a grocery store so he can wait for some connectors that may or not fit his rig.

frown.gif

Jul 6, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #13 of 23
Well, my $5 Radio Shack soldering iron is trash. Got a Weller, some electrical tape, silver solder and heat shrink.

Now I just need to get some idea of how far back to cut back from where I sever the 1/4" jack to allow room to hook up the XLR connectors.

Jul 6, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And an XLR is much more expensive than a pair of 25 cent RCAs.

Your point?

My point was that they are expensive compared to a 4pin XLR. There wasn't some hidden deeper meaning or philosophical nuance. Although I'd certainly raise an eyebrow at anyone terminating their headphones with a pair of cheap RCA connectors. I'll assume you were just being fatuous for the sake of it.

Quote:

I mean, this thread is about a $1,400 pair of headphones after all.

It's about the retermination of said headphones, please do not attempt to make me seem stupid by trying to inflate the context to shrink any differences to which I refer.

Quote:

And even then, you can get a mated pair of the Lemos for about $50. One could probably get $50 begging for change in front of the local grocery store in a few hours.

Probably yup. That's still what, 5-10x more than the XLR option? So I think that my observation still stands, and after all, we are talking about a $1400 pair of headphones here I think that people who can afford those probably wouldn't go begging for change at the shops.

Quote:

k

Not really, your post irked me a lot. You also give a poor case, within it's context, against the 4pin XLR. I fail to see why the size and weight of the connector (which you overegg) matter that much I mean we are talking about a $1400 pair of headphones after all it's not as though people will be taking them out for portable use. A good solid connection to the amp with seperate connections and no common ground is what the doctor ordered.

¬ _¬

Jul 6, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, my $5 Radio Shack soldering iron is trash. Got a Weller, some electrical tape, silver solder and heat shrink.

Now I just need to get some idea of how far back to cut back from where I sever the 1/4" jack to allow room to hook up the XLR connectors.

It's a good idea to leave a bit extra in case you make a mistake, such as breaking the wires when you pull off the insulation. I've seen a few people recommend a foot. I'm good at wire stripping, so went for a bit less than that.

When I did it, the outer-most insulation is very thick, so I stripped it by very carefully snipping around it until i could easily pull it off. For a 4-pin XLR I didn't need to expose much wire, less than 2cm IIRC. The inner wires i stripped by melting with the soldering iron then pulling off the insulation. Get a pair of "helping hands" to hold everything while you solder, makes it much easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back