Adding an ART DI/O
Feb 10, 2003 at 12:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

skoiboy

100+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking of picking up a M-Audio Sonica or Theater, and I'm wondering what the advantage to also adding an ART DI/O would do for the system? Would the change be signifigant?

Thanks,

Feb 10, 2003 at 3:24 AM Post #2 of 12
The sonica has optical output and the DI/O has coax so you can't use the 2 together without convertor. the addition of this + extra cables doesn't really warrent the sound increase which isn't that much better w/ a stock DI/O.

for the same price as sonica theater, you could just get the revolution 7.1.

Feb 13, 2003 at 5:35 PM Post #3 of 12
anyone else have any comments on this?

Also, where can I get a good cheap converter to use if I did do this.

The only reason I'm thinking of doing it, is this summer when I get my own place I will prob start to get so equiptment that I will use the ART with (such as a 400 CD player, as discussed in another thread).

Also, would I be better picking up an MSB Link III instead of the ART? I know there has been a lot of debate over this, but I just like the fact that the MSB has the optical ports and won't require a converter.

skoiboy

Feb 15, 2003 at 8:31 PM Post #4 of 12
you know, you could have bought a higher-end soundcard than the sonica, and not have to buy that DIO. besides, i doubt that the converters in that DIO are significantly better than what's in your sonica already. think about it.... the DIO costs what--$100-200? something like that i think. and in that box, they have to include ins/outs and digital interfaces. ....so, how much are they really spending on the DACs?

you want good outputs from your computer?--get a pro-sumer sound card. you can get a lot of that stuff used on ebay. just make sure whatever you buy has a break-out box! very important! don't buy a card with the outputs mounted on the card itself. ideally, this break-out box will have its own power supply, and not draw power from the computer. but you'd have to start spending more money for more performance...

my bro bought one of those sonicas for $50 i believe.... and i think he was considering getting a DIO too. but he ended up selling it.... dunno why.

orpheus

Feb 16, 2003 at 10:04 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Orpheus
you know, you could have bought a higher-end soundcard than the sonica, and not have to buy that DIO. besides, i doubt that the converters in that DIO are significantly better than what's in your sonica already. think about it.... the DIO costs what--$100-200? something like that i think. and in that box, they have to include ins/outs and digital interfaces. ....so, how much are they really spending on the DACs?

I would have to disagree with this. Don't let the low price of the DI/O give you the impression that it can't do an amazing job. It can easily compete with products several times its price.

I've compared a few digital sources (a consumer level Pioneer CDP, and several consumer and entry-level pro soundcards) with and without the DI/O. In every case, the DI/O improved the sound drastically. The difference was really night and day, I would never go back.

Feb 16, 2003 at 11:49 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by markjia
I would have to disagree with this. Don't let the low price of the DI/O give you the impression that it can't do an amazing job. It can easily compete with products several times its price.

I've compared a few digital sources (a consumer level Pioneer CDP, and several consumer and entry-level pro soundcards) with and without the DI/O. In every case, the DI/O improved the sound drastically. The difference was really night and day, I would never go back.

Agreed, a stock DIO can easily beat out some of the old high end dacs like the Thetas (used two generation of them)... A Mensa modded DIO is on a whole other level, and can now handily beat out a more modern Apogee based Cello DAC. For whatever reason, some people just wont believe it.

Feb 16, 2003 at 2:48 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Orpheus

It's not a question of parts, it's a question of implementation. A DI/O with Stancor power supply is not a low-end DAC. With mods, it gets better...a lot better. Mine was still in mostly stock form when it replaced a Theta Chroma. Guess which one used more expensive parts?

Feb 17, 2003 at 12:24 AM Post #12 of 12
well, yes, that is true..... you don't always get your money's worth out there. and of course, there are also some awesome deals out there too....

but i still believe that you can get better performance simply by just buying a higher quality audio interface, rather than taking the digital out of the Sonica, which is a low-end interface to begin with.

but unfortunately, i was mistaken... i couldn't find too many interfaces out there that use USB/firewire in his price range. so, sorry... though i think if you're really patient, you can find some good ones on ebay selling used that would be in the $200 price range. but i think the cheapest model that's high quality would be Digidesign's Firewire interface, and unfortunately, it's Mac only.

personally, i have a MOTU 896, and it uses firewire, but of course, it's much too extravangant for this type of application.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back