Add your opinion and HELP ME!!
Jan 18, 2012 at 1:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

kevinzemaitis

Head-Fier
First off I will state that I am awful at decision making ahaah.. 

Took me a solid week to decide between SE215s and Westone 1s, and even longer to choose XB500s over anything. So now knowing that I will give you some context to help me make my next decision,

THE FIRST PURCHASE FROM SUGGESTION was the VMODA M-80 (and I love 'em)

SECOND PURCHASE RIGHT NOW IS BETWEEN Beyerdynamic DT1350s / T50p (leaning towards DT1350s) or Sennheiser HD-25 iis ANY THOUGHTS?

My music is mainly consisted of Nine Inch Nails, The Black Keys, Stone Temple Pilots, Bush, Cage the Elephant, Foo Fighters, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton & Cream, some Finger Eleven and Johnny Cash. So with that context I will get to the point of why I am starting this thread. I am starting a headphone fund for myself, Im a little flexible on price I will be saving up but nothing over $400. I like a more semi bass heavy phone yet I do enjoy Westone 1s. So all advice is welcome, I do like semi or closed phones, the isolation helps I am a student and do hate the people who think oh hey everyone wants to listen to what I listen to, ie people with Beats around their neck blasting music, I have a Ipod Touch that I practically always use so they also need to be easily driven so I dont know to well if these are or not...

seeya for now..

Jan 18, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #2 of 15
See |joker|'s portable headphone review thread. He'd know best. 
smile.gif

Jan 18, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #4 of 15
Unfortunately, I've little to no experience with full size headphones, only in-ear.

Jan 18, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #5 of 15
If you were going down the V MODA line I'd lean towards the M-80's/V-80's over the crossfades - From what I've heard they're superior, and I went with them, they will not cease to impress - Unless you wanted a bigger can ofcourse.

Shure's line is also worth looking into, the 440's and 840's are both very worthy for the price -

ATH M50 are also something everyone on here always seems to recommend, they're good but I didn't fall in love with them -

Creative Aurvana Live! are another favourite set of mine, that my V-80's actually replaced, incredible for the price, do well with just about any genre - Something worth consdering as a decent set of cirumaural portables -

Depends how much you wanna spend man
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #6 of 15
No problem i2ehan any advice is good and thanks for that!

Cool thanks Varley, ill have to look into those Creative Aurvana Lives, have you or anybody heard anything about the VMODA M100? i saw somewhere someone from the company posted early feb late jan but eh. If the M80 is better than LPs than full size M80s will be beastly, whatever the price of those are im paying lol 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 21, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #9 of 15
I'm going to give you a recommendation for the Sony ZX700 over the Audio Technica M50. They are a newer model so they haven't gotten as much buzz here on Head Fi yet, but I feel that the Sony has much of a balanced sound, particularly in terms of the slightly over-eager treble of the M50s. They have more natural timbre in the sound, are more comfortable, less awkward to wear outside and easier to drive by a portable player then the M50s. They work wonderfully with acoustic music but have great overall performance for all kinds of genres. However, bass response is not quite as good as the M50s and if that is very important to you, its a harder decision. If its out of a portable player though, the comparison becomes moot as bass performance out of portable on the M50s takes a hit.

This might give you some insight: 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sony-mdr-zx700

Otherwise, is there anything else you particularly want out of the sound signature?

Jan 21, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #10 of 15
I'd totally go for the M80's. Great warranty, fantastic build, cool exoskeleton making them extremely portable, and great sound. My only problem with them is they're a little tight for long listening and don't have fantastic isolation. Fantastic, portable headphone. And they're stylin.

Its really tough to go wrong with the ATH-M50's especially at the $100 price you can find them used around the forum. Their mids are laid back but they are very good headphone. Not so portable for me though with their size and I prefer the nice mids of the M80.

Jan 22, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
Otherwise, is there anything else you particularly want out of the sound signature?

Those Sonys did look interesting Ill check into them more later. And just balanced sound dipping lower into the frequency range providing the punchy bass and great lows and mids. I have been leaning towards getting M80s lotta nice reviews saying that they are well worth the price and are of such great quality what are your opinion on these, have you heard them and there competition?

Quote:
I'd totally go for the M80's. Great warranty, fantastic build, cool exoskeleton making them extremely portable, and great sound. My only problem with them is they're a little tight for long listening and don't have fantastic isolation. Fantastic, portable headphone. And they're stylin.

This is probably what I will end up going with, and I know they do look a lot better than most headphones I totally agree with you there. How long do you consider a long listening session?

Jan 22, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #12 of 15
I'd say an hour or so is just fine. Two hours started putting the hurt on. Though I hear the longer you have them, the foam pads kind of contour to your ears.

If you buy authorized, they also have a 60 day trial period.

Quote:
Those Sonys did look interesting Ill check into them more later. And just balanced sound dipping lower into the frequency range providing the punchy bass and great lows and mids. I have been leaning towards getting M80s lotta nice reviews saying that they are well worth the price and are of such great quality what are your opinion on these, have you heard them and there competition?

This is probably what I will end up going with, and I know they do look a lot better than most headphones I totally agree with you there. How long do you consider a long listening session?

Jan 22, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
I'd say an hour or so is just fine. Two hours started putting the hurt on. Though I hear the longer you have them, the foam pads kind of contour to your ears.

If you buy authorized, they also have a 60 day trial period.

Oh ok that seems not so bad, did you happen to have any trouble with the lack of adjustment of the headband? And that trial period is tempting me so badly to try the M80s and the LP2s....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back