AD900 or AD700 to go with Creative X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB soundcard
Mar 2, 2012 at 12:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

transcience

New Head-Fier
Hi, new to Head-Fi here. I'm getting my first "serious" cans pretty soon. Right now it's a toss-up between the AD700 and the AD900. I know that the Creative X-Fi external USB would be enough to drive the AD700, since it doesn't require a lot of power. But what about the AD900?  I will have to make-do with the USB X-Fi for now, so i'm really wondering if it'll be enough for the AD900. Should i just stick with the AD700? Oh, i'm also using the Astro mixamp with the X-Fi as well. Sorry for my total n00bness and thanks!

Mar 2, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #2 of 4

Quote:
Hi, new to Head-Fi here. I'm getting my first "serious" cans pretty soon. Right now it's a toss-up between the AD700 and the AD900. I know that the Creative X-Fi external USB would be enough to drive the AD700, since it doesn't require a lot of power. But what about the AD900?  I will have to make-do with the USB X-Fi for now, so i'm really wondering if it'll be enough for the AD900. Should i just stick with the AD700? Oh, i'm also using the Astro mixamp with the X-Fi as well. Sorry for my total n00bness and thanks!

Heya,

The AD900 is just as easy to drive as any of the Art series. I'd go for it.

Do you care about bass, by the way? None of these headphones are very bassy, they're hardly even neutral, they're quite shy on bass.

Alternatives:

AKG Q701
Beyer DT880

Very best,

Mar 2, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #3 of 4
Thank you for the reply! Yeah, I'm not too much of a basshead and i don't mind light bass. From looking at the different threads here, I got the impression that both the AD900 and the AD700 are pretty decent when it comes to vocals and generally non bass heavy music like hip-hop. Plus they are good cans for gaming as well. How does the AKG Q701 and the DT880 compare? Aren't those more difficult to drive than the AD700 and AD900? Is my cheap X-Fi enough? I'm really excited to get my "entry-level" cans and i appreciate the help!

Mar 6, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #4 of 4
Hey guys, what other headphones can i look at that my X-Fi usb soundcard would be able to drive with no problem? Would the Q701 or the DT880 be viable? In terms of sound, how do these compare with the AD900? Any advice would be appreciated 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back