AD700x vs. AD700 ???
Mar 11, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #16 of 19
I know replying to a thread from a decade ago doesn't seem to have sense, but there aren't much opinions to be found (and I searched quite a bit), so here's mine.

I bought AD700x new while back and just got a second hand AD700 with aftermarket pads. To compare them I used the AD700x pads on both headphones. Audio Technica tuned both headphones with pads in mind obviously, but I think a comparison with the original ones is more interesting. That way the differences are just due to the housing if the drivers are, in fact, identical.

AD700x has less bass, but better instrument separation, imaging and soundstage. Those are the differences that I could heard; not huge, but noticeable when A/B testing them. Would those differences exist if I used the original AD700 pads on the AD700? Maybe. It certainly confuses me that this Youtuber that compared both, said the AD700x has more bass and also, there is a website with a graph dabatase (I can not find it) where you can see the AD700x does have higher low shelf. I experienced the opposite.

Over these two, I prefer the AD700 for music: less difused and not lacking bass that much... but I just wish it was exactly the same as the AD700x. I'm planning to buy Sundara (which I already tried), that obviously beats the AD700 or the x for music by a mile, but I still wanted to keep the AT around for its ridiculous imaging and soundstage (yes, it's better than Sundara in this regard). This AD700 does has better imaging and soundstage than Sundara, but not sure if the difference is enough to keep it.

Mar 12, 2022 at 2:36 AM Post #17 of 19
I am not finding much info on the AD700x. I am particularly wondering about any audio changes in comparison to the AD700. I have heard the AD700s and I like them for many reasons. However, like everyone else, I am hoping that the AD700x adds a little more bass.

Can anyone tell me how the AD700x compares to the AD700 mainly in audio qualities?

(they sure look much better, I have no idea what they were thinking with that purple / gold look)
Even Amazon has no reviews on them.
I've had both, the 700x had a tiny more bass but the 700 had nicer treble. I used the 700 for gaming only since it didn't have too much bass and soundstage was good for the price used I got them. I just would go with a different pad material after trying it and failing.
The 700x isn't worth spending money on, will be a sidegrade and the 700 feels more solid. The real upgrade would be the AD1000X which has the best female vocals and for gaming it's kingpin. Also so easy to drive, anything can power them.

Mar 14, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #18 of 19
I do have read that the AD700x has better bass than AD700, but in terms of soundstage compared to the AD1000x, people usually say the 1000x is more intimate with the AD700x sounding crazy wide.

Honestly, I doubt anything can have bigger soundstage than AD700x. It's already too much. Obviously there will be a lot of other headphones much better in other areas, but not sure if I would notice a difference with HD800. Heck, it resolves way worse than Sundara, but because it's so spacious it almost separates instruments just as good.

Mar 17, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #19 of 19
I know replying to a thread from a decade ago doesn't seem to have sense, but there aren't much opinions to be found (and I searched quite a bit), so here's mine.

I bought AD700x new while back and just got a second hand AD700 with aftermarket pads. To compare them I used the AD700x pads on both headphones. Audio Technica tuned both headphones with pads in mind obviously, but I think a comparison with the original ones is more interesting. That way the differences are just due to the housing if the drivers are, in fact, identical.

AD700x has less bass, but better instrument separation, imaging and soundstage. Those are the differences that I could heard; not huge, but noticeable when A/B testing them. Would those differences exist if I used the original AD700 pads on the AD700? Maybe. It certainly confuses me that this Youtuber that compared both, said the AD700x has more bass and also, there is a website with a graph dabatase (I can not find it) where you can see the AD700x does have higher low shelf. I experienced the opposite.

Over these two, I prefer the AD700 for music: less difused and not lacking bass that much... but I just wish it was exactly the same as the AD700x. I'm planning to buy Sundara (which I already tried), that obviously beats the AD700 or the x for music by a mile, but I still wanted to keep the AT around for its ridiculous imaging and soundstage (yes, it's better than Sundara in this regard). This AD700 does has better imaging and soundstage than Sundara, but not sure if the difference is enough to keep it.

Did a bit more digging with the AD700 vs AD700x comparison.

Same pads (AD700x ones) and I removed the filter behind the drivers on the AD700. Both headphones now are extremely similar regarding housing and are using the same pads. Still I don't know if the drivers are identical, but they do sound a tiny bit different. And that's due to the fact that driver on the AD700x sits further away from your ear. It's placed deeper inside the housing, while the AD700 driver sticks out a bit more. That should explain the slightly bigger soundstage I feel the AD700x has.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back