AD700x vs. AD700 ???
Apr 10, 2013 at 5:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Povell42

100+ Head-Fier
I am not finding much info on the AD700x. I am particularly wondering about any audio changes in comparison to the AD700.  I have heard the AD700s and I like them for many reasons.  However, like everyone else, I am hoping that the AD700x adds a little more bass. 

Can anyone tell me how the AD700x compares to the AD700 mainly in audio qualities?

(they sure look much better, I have no idea what they were thinking with that purple / gold look)
Even Amazon has no reviews on them.

Apr 15, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #4 of 19
I was curious too a few weeks ago and came across some impressions of someone who owned both (different website). He said they were basically the same sound wise, and mostly differed in appearance (pads, cable, color, wings, etc). To be honest, I've got the AD700 and AD900X right now and even those two aren't that big of a difference. So I could imagine the AD700X is probably in the same boat, but even less so. As a note though, if you aren't afraid to do a bit of easy modding, the AD700's grills are easily repaintable. Mine are black, and even with the gold color, it looks pretty normal.

Apr 15, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:
I was curious too a few weeks ago and came across some impressions of someone who owned both (different website). He said they were basically the same sound wise, and mostly differed in appearance (pads, cable, color, wings, etc). To be honest, I've got the AD700 and AD900X right now and even those two aren't that big of a difference. So I could imagine the AD700X is probably in the same boat, but even less so. As a note though, if you aren't afraid to do a bit of easy modding, the AD700's grills are easily repaintable. Mine are black, and even with the gold color, it looks pretty normal.

Thanks. So I have the AD900x currently, but was thinking about downgrading to a cheaper version since I have read the some think the sound difference is minimal. I really like the Audio Technica sound signature mainly in the AD series.

Do you think the AD700 has a larger sound stage?  I know the general consensus is yes, but I have only heard people say that who are guessing, since the Ad900x has more bass. 

I am using them for gaming and wondered if the AD700 has a better sound stage.  What is your opinion on that in regards to the AD700 and AD900x?

Apr 16, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Thanks. So I have the AD900x currently, but was thinking about downgrading to a cheaper version since I have read the some think the sound difference is minimal. I really like the Audio Technica sound signature mainly in the AD series.

Do you think the AD700 has a larger sound stage?  I know the general consensus is yes, but I have only heard people say that who are guessing, since the Ad900x has more bass. 

I am using them for gaming and wondered if the AD700 has a better sound stage.  What is your opinion on that in regards to the AD700 and AD900x?

Oh, I didn't know you already had the AD900x.

It's just a bit larger. That may be some of the treble playing tricks on me though, since it's a bit more prominent in the AD700. But users that have experienced both seem to say the AD700 has better positioning. I'm not sure by how much, but I'm guessing it has something to do with the difference in the pads since both drivers are angled. I wouldn't know even though I have both, because I use neither for games or movies. Downgrading from the AD900x to the AD700 is actually not that difficult, but you'll lose some smoothness in the upper mids and treble. The AD700 is more peaky, and has some odd frequency holes. You probably wouldn't notice in games... if that's what you planned on using the AD700 for. If you're going for music, the AD900x is generally better no doubt... but the AD700 is definitely salvageable through some EQ tweaks or source swapping.

Apr 17, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

If you're using the AD900X for competitive gaming you might prefer the AD700, the AD700 has a more simulated positing because of the anemic lows.  The actual detail and positing with the AD700(X) with respect to the AD900X is very poor.

For all other purposes I'd suggest you keep the AD900X, they are far superior.

I actually owned the AD700 and sold them when I purchased the AD900X, the AD900X retains the airy sound signature but takes everything up several notches.

The AD700X afaik actually has improved mid-bass same as the rest of the X line, however the pads are inferior to the original AD700.  They are stiffer and made of less quality material.

EDIT:
I forgot to mention I purchased my AD900X for roughly $170, YMMV if you paid Amazon's $280.

Apr 19, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

If you're using the AD900X for competitive gaming you might prefer the AD700, the AD700 has a more simulated positing because of the anemic lows.  The actual detail and positing with the AD700(X) with respect to the AD900X is very poor.

For all other purposes I'd suggest you keep the AD900X, they are far superior.

I actually owned the AD700 and sold them when I purchased the AD900X, the AD900X retains the airy sound signature but takes everything up several notches.

The AD700X afaik actually has improved mid-bass same as the rest of the X line, however the pads are inferior to the original AD700.  They are stiffer and made of less quality material.

EDIT:
I forgot to mention I purchased my AD900X for roughly $170, YMMV if you paid Amazon's $280.

I got mine for $170 also.
biggrin.gif
  I agree with you on the sound stage aspect of the AD900x.  I have realized that it can be a little difficult to discern which direction a sound is coming from.  I seems like it is a little too echoy sounding which makes the imaging a little difficult. 

Apr 21, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:
biggrin.gif
  I agree with you on the sound stage aspect of the AD900x.  I have realized that it can be a little difficult to discern which direction a sound is coming from.  I seems like it is a little too echoy sounding which makes the imaging a little difficult. 

Still, way more enjoyable than the AD700 :D

May 11, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #10 of 19
Bumping this thread for a question.  I have used and loved the AD700 for about 6 years now, and when I tried to make the transition to the AD900, I found I couldn't because they didn't have angled drivers, which in turn caused significant discomfort for my ears because they rubbed up against the internal grille.  Can anyone comment as to whether the 700x/900x have angled drivers?

May 28, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #11 of 19
Just got mine today (AD700X) imported from Japan and they have angled drivers. Unfortunately I cannot compare them to AD700 but they are super comfortable (compared to my previous Denon ones).

Nov 24, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #13 of 19
  Just got mine today (AD700X) imported from Japan and they have angled drivers. Unfortunately I cannot compare them to AD700 but they are super comfortable (compared to my previous Denon ones).

any news on how they work for gaming.. I don't think they are in Mad Lust Envy's gaming guide either. I was hoping to pick up the AD700's but the 700x's are the same price new as the regular 700s are used on amazon. 

Nov 24, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #14 of 19
  sorry to bump an old thread. Can someone say anything on ad500x?? i cant find any views of these anywhere..hardly any reviews
confused.gif

Check out the Audio Technica TAD500s, which I believe you can only get in Japan, but sold on eBay.

Nov 24, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #15 of 19

biggrin.gif

What are you using to drive your ATH-AD900Xs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back