AD700... upgrade to Senn HD5xx/HD380 pro
Jan 5, 2014 at 5:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

bbarnes1

New Head-Fier
I've had my ATH-AD700 for a couple years now.  I use the mostly for PC gaming with my Asus Xonar DG for dolby (when applicable) and eq'ing.  I do listen to some music on them, but most of my music is heard through IEMs/iPod at work or on travel. I Think the AD700 sound very nice with the bottom end ramped up from slightly starting at 250hz to up 10db at 30hz.  Not that I'm a bass head, but I enjoy impact and bass extension.  They also sound great without the eq on acoustic/instrumental music.

During Xmas I acquired some best buy gift cards and can't figure out what to do with them.  This got me thinking, should I try something more Sennheiser. I generally like warm/bass strong sounding audio equipment, Senn's warm laid back sound seems like it might fit the bill. 

So, is there any reason that Sennheisers would be better for me.  I threw the closed HD380 into the mix for some variety (and for travel and work)

Jan 5, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #2 of 8
  I've had my ATH-AD700 for a couple years now.  I use the mostly for PC gaming with my Asus Xonar DG for dolby (when applicable) and eq'ing.  I do listen to some music on them, but most of my music is heard through IEMs/iPod at work or on travel. I Think the AD700 sound very nice with the bottom end ramped up from slightly starting at 250hz to up 10db at 30hz.  Not that I'm a bass head, but I enjoy impact and bass extension.  They also sound great without the eq on acoustic/instrumental music.

During Xmas I acquired some best buy gift cards and can't figure out what to do with them.  This got me thinking, should I try something more Sennheiser. I generally like warm/bass strong sounding audio equipment, Senn's warm laid back sound seems like it might fit the bill. 

So, is there any reason that Sennheisers would be better for me.  I threw the closed HD380 into the mix for some variety (and for travel and work)

I do prefer my HD558s more them my ATH-AD700s.

Bestbuy sells the HD558s or $180.
I would say to buy used HD558s off amazon, $120.
(New are only $128)
Sell off the gift cards and the ATH-AD700s

Jan 5, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #4 of 8
I do have the option to buy amazon gift cards at best buy. Worth having both the AD700 and the HD558s?

I use my HD558s a fair amount of time, part of my headphone rotation, but never use the AD700s anymore.

Jan 5, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #6 of 8
Just to clarify...are the Sennheiser HD558s like the PC350 gaming headsets available?

My opinion is the HD558 uses the same 50-Ohm driver as the HD518/HD598/PC360/PC363.
Where as the PC350 uses the slightly older 150-Ohm driver.

Jan 6, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #7 of 8
hmm.... the more I think about it, maybe I should hold onto the AD700s and pick something out with more music listening in mind.  The AD700s are just outstanding in skyrim and other games.  Why mess with them?

What bugs me about the AD700s is listening to hard rock.  When I put on some Foo Fighters.... they get confused, the bass (EQ'd up) takes over, and seems to almost momentarily stop everything else (bleeds?). 

My music preference: Foo Fighters are my favorite, but theres a lot of more modern rock mixed in (think 3 days grace, breaking benjiman, disturbed), always have some Rage Against the Machine ready, as well as audioslave.  I do get into some more folksy rock such as the Avett Brothers, Mumford and others.  Can't get away from The Who, AC/DC, Zeppelin, Allman Bros.  And most of the time some Jazzy stuff butts in, like Umphrey's Mcgee,  Kneebody, Bela Fleck........ 

Also some Dubstep/technoish... but i can deal with that not being optimal so that the above sounds better.

From everything I've read, I should be buying Grados.  However I'd like to be able to listen while at work/on a plane without upsetting anyone.  I'm also worried about grado's bass extension.  I like kick from the bass drum and bass guitar,  I have a Dayton Audio 12 inch Titan mkII on a bash 500 watt rms amp in my home theater.  It does a good job of of letting me feel the drums/bass without bleeding.

So I need Grados with better isolation and extension... I'm confused.  Darn internet full of info

Jan 8, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #8 of 8
Went out and got a pair of HD280 Pros, it didn't work out....

I have a large head, with the 280 in their largest setting, they were painful.  Throbbing and headaches... returned promptly.  Do all the sennheisers fit the same?

What about AKG Q701? Seems similar to an HD558

Users who are viewing this thread

Back