AD700/SR225/HD595/HD600 Comparisons?
Jan 31, 2009 at 10:29 AM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And what made you think that?

More expensive does not necessarily mean better.

I much preferred the AD700's to the HD600's. I haven't heard the others.

AD700's have a massively huge soundstage (bigger than anything I've experienced) but they also managed to be fairly up front and energetic, meaning they're good for rock and other fast paced genres. The bass is quite light, but you can EQ it up if you want.

Hey fraseyboy, just a quick question: when you EQ the lower freq. on the AD700, is the bass still as clean? and does it add to the punch? I want to try these in person but just keep reading here on head-fi about the apparent lack of bass so don't know what to make of it. Thanks!

Jan 31, 2009 at 10:31 AM Post #17 of 21
AD700 to HD595 is no contest AD700 win for me. It will win on all counts.

HD555 and HD595 are on my list of the most overrated blargh headphones I have heard.

I have no heard any Grados and they scare me. So cannot say.

Good luck on your headphone hunt.

Jan 31, 2009 at 11:09 AM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by SolariS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey fraseyboy, just a quick question: when you EQ the lower freq. on the AD700, is the bass still as clean? and does it add to the punch? I want to try these in person but just keep reading here on head-fi about the apparent lack of bass so don't know what to make of it. Thanks!

It's still pretty clean but it does muddy up the sound a bit and take away from the clarity.

If you find that it doesn't have enough bass, get an amp. Preferably tubes.

My AD700's bass is much more punchy and prominent from my Little Dot MK II.

Jan 31, 2009 at 11:12 AM Post #19 of 21
Yep I agree. The bass on my AD900s, a bigger brother of the AD700s, changed the most from changing source/amp. My EQ setting is very minimal, 1-2 notches on the 50-200 hz range. Its the DAC/AMP that will improve the bass on your AD700s the most.

Jan 31, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #20 of 21
I also have the AD900s and I think they are simply awesome. Huge soundstage. Excellent highs and mids. Very capable lows, although there's no real weight behind them. They're very accurate and clear. Very much so. If you like a bassy or dark sound better than a very clear sound, then the Sennheisers will be a better choice. But for their money, you can't go wrong with the AD900s. I've auditioned some fully burnt-in AKG K701s and didn't find them to be very much better than my Audio-Technicas.

Feb 6, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #21 of 21
Awesome, thanks for the quick replies guys, although not so much on my part lol. I ordered the fiio e5 as it was $20 FS- figured might as well as my first venture into amp territory for that price.

About the dark vs. bright sound, I've had the ksc75 for about 3 weeks now and at first the brightness was really fatiguing/ annoying and I thought the sound, mostly the lows, were kinda muddy. I said what the hell man?! This is all the hype?! BUT after a few burning-in sessions the sound is just !!! The highs have tamed and bass/ mids are nicer and clearer. So, to get to the point, I think I like this bright balanced sound the more I listen to it. I think I'll go with the AD700, wish I could justify the more than double price for the AD900 but just can't bring myself to (ad700 ~$100, ad900 ~$250).

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back