AD700 Recable Issue
Dec 28, 2011 at 10:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

PhoneLover94

100+ Head-Fier
Well I got all my materials and went at it today with my dad. We first made a 3.5mm female to male ~1 foot cable. This cable turned out good and everything works great. Then we moved on to my AD700's. We ran the two blue in the L4E6S in the plug to where the white goes in the headphones. In the plug, one white is soldered onto the left and the other white onto the right. Then we took the white cables at the top and touched them to where the blue and red went. I plugged the 3.5mm into my iPod, and it played in both drivers so we soldered it there. Now that I have it back together and actually can listen to it, it seems that the left driver is louder than the right. I'm not sure but I think that some parts of the song are also not playing in the right driver. Finally, when I turn the plug in the output in my E6, it makes staticy noises and sometimes it will make the right sounds distorted. Also, it definitely doesn't sound as clear and accurate as it used to. Definitely more muddy and sounds are mixed together. Anyone have any help? Thanks

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o58/K1lLer_2006/PC281194.jpg

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #3 of 6
Also just noticed that on some songs and youtube videos the vocals are only coming out of the left side. However, when I pull my plug out a little bit then the sound comes out of both sides

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #4 of 6
Apart from the little issue you are having, your cabling looks good! Obvious but did you check your soldering joints? Maybe test continuity with a multimeter? Should help pinpoint the problem. Hope you wont have to tear you cable apart. Keep us posted.

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
Does the cable just need time to "burn-in" like headphones? 

No.

I think you have a short somewhere in your connectors... it was hard for me to follow your description of what you did. You have 4 wires... two grounds (white), and one each for right and left signals (red and blue). Correct? I would double check your 3.5mm connector soldering first.  

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for the tips. The 3.5mm connection seemed to be the best that we soldered yesterday, so we didn't think the problem was there. Tired of not having my AD700's working properly and confused on what the problem was, last night I took the headphones apart again and put the old cable back on. I shortened it (one of my issues with the old cable) and put on a new plug (another issue, this old plug was messing up sometimes). I wrapped it up in techflex and it works just like it did, just shorter and looks nicer :) Thanks for the help and Ill put up some pictures of the recable with the old cable soon. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back