AD700 or HD580?
Sep 3, 2008 at 11:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Carter54

Head-Fier
I recently bought a used pair of ATH-A900's here as my first "real" set of cans and I just found out what I have been missing.

I have a Zero DAC and I am looking to get my first set of Open cans. I was considering the AD700 because I am loving the the A900 so much but I can get the HD580 for a pretty good price from a friend.

I do mostly gaming which is why I bought the A900's but I do enjoy music. I listen to mostly Rock modern and classic but really I like everything.

I would take other suggestions but I don't want to spend much over $100 since I just bought the Zero and A900's.

Thanks in Advance

Sep 4, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can get an HD580 for $100 don't hesitate.

Price is a little more but pretty close to 100$ and no shipping or paypal since its a RL friend.

Sep 4, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #5 of 9
Hmm. Fraseyboy seems to think his AD700s are better than the HD580s he sold me. I'm quite the fan of the HD580s - nice rich sound compared to my Grados, other Senns, and Philips 895s. Good bass weight... but then I am a bit of a basshead.

I guess if you like your bass, the HD580 is the obvious choice. If you're more about soundstage, detail and immersion, the AD700 seems the way to go. For gaming its a tough one really - I prefer having quite a bit of bass but it can annoy the crap out of some. The 580 have good enough soundstaging for games IMO.

Sep 4, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #6 of 9
AD700 has a more fun and aggressive sound than the HD580, which is very laid-back. They are a more versatile than the HD580 IMO.

I'll go with the HD580 if the price is close to $100, that's a steal! Be wary that the Zero might not be enough to power the HD580, the HD580 not properly amped sound quite bad IMO, recessed and very veiled. Properly amped, they are a league above the AD700.

I'm afraid with your current setup they might not be that much of an improvement over your A900.

Sep 4, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #7 of 9
I agree with most of the above comments.

The AD700's are more versatile than the HD580's. I prefer the sound of the AD700's but that doesn't necessarily mean they're better.

It really depends on what you listen to and what your priorities are. AD700s would be better for rock and metal while HD580's would be better for classical and possible some kinds of jazz. AD700's are fairly bright and up front while the HD580's are almost the complete opposite. HD580's aren't too bad without an amp, but do benefit from an amp (as do the AD700's) IMO.

BTW if you haven't read it yet, the link in my sig compares the AD700 to the HD580's.

Sep 4, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by glac1er /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AD700 has a more fun and aggressive sound than the HD580, which is very laid-back. They are a more versatile than the HD580 IMO.

I'll go with the HD580 if the price is close to $100, that's a steal! Be wary that the Zero might not be enough to power the HD580, the HD580 not properly amped sound quite bad IMO, recessed and very veiled. Properly amped, they are a league above the AD700.

I'm afraid with your current setup they might not be that much of an improvement over your A900.

I wouldnt say I am looking for improvement because I love my A900's I am looking for Different. I want to have a good set of Open Cans to try out different music and games with to form an opinion for myself on open VS closed.

From the sounds of it the HD580's are a good price and would be quite a bit different from my A900's so I think that is the rout that I will head in.

I am not that worried about the Zero because I have been folowwing the Zero thread for a while and I think at least half of the people on there are using HD650's and loving the sound. I believe that Penchum even tried a set fo the HD580's for the initial review I will have to go back and check

Sep 4, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with most of the above comments.

The AD700's are more versatile than the HD580's. I prefer the sound of the AD700's but that doesn't necessarily mean they're better.

It really depends on what you listen to and what your priorities are. AD700s would be better for rock and metal while HD580's would be better for classical and possible some kinds of jazz. AD700's are fairly bright and up front while the HD580's are almost the complete opposite. HD580's aren't too bad without an amp, but do benefit from an amp (as do the AD700's) IMO.

BTW if you haven't read it yet, the link in my sig compares the AD700 to the HD580's.

I have read your review and that is why I am torn. I had always though the HD580's to be vastly superior to the AD700 but reading a few of the threads around here its tough to find someone with the exact same music likes and usage requirements as I would need so I started my own thread.

I am into bang for your buck audio so I think I am going to try the HD580's because the price is so good. If I dont like them I will sell them and get a set of the AD700's.

Head-Fi is definately taking a toll on my wallet.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back