AD700 for $100 = good deal?
Apr 27, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #16 of 17

Quote:
Already have the M50 (for the office), looking to get something in an open headphone for home use.
Definitely want something with a different sound signature and presence, just to complement the M50.

Which so far is pointing me towards the grado line...

Grado's will be different, that much is certain.  They are quite polarizing however, as people tend to like them quite a lot or dislike them in equal measure.  And that is just counting their sound, not the somewhat questionable comfort levels.  I have SR60i's and enjoy them quite a lot for many types of music, but have a hard time recommending them to anyone who can't try them out.

There are a lot of good headphones for less than $100.  AKG K240 Studio, Creative Aurvana Live!, Sony MDR V6 or ZX700, Shure 440 and KRK 6400 just to name a few.  Take a look through some of them listed here.  Reading about them here at headfi will never be quite enough though...test drives are the only sure way, and aren't always possible.  I bought  those Panasonic HFT600's mentioned earlier (without listening to them first) and dislike them probably as much as MalVeaux dislikes the AD700.

Apr 28, 2012 at 4:10 AM Post #17 of 17
I'm in that camp, I love the Grado sound but hate the way they fit, no matter what cushions I try. They're the best torture devices I've ever heard, hands down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back