Action against Storm Digital
Feb 14, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #273 of 311
It is with sme trepidation that I post in this thread!

Anyway, I picked up a copy of hifi world today - its a UK magazine. Anyway, a few pages in theres an ad for a company that imports a whole range of equipment - and right there on the page is a pic of a storm DAC.

I wonder is it the same company or a really unfortunate coincidence.

Fran

Feb 14, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #274 of 311
Where have all of his defenders now? Sorry guys but I guess no one has anymore excuses as to why you are all out hundreds of dollars.

Feb 14, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #275 of 311
Quote:

Originally Posted by bundee1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where have all of his defenders now? Sorry guys but I guess no one has anymore excuses as to why you are all out hundreds of dollars.

At one time I was a proponent of a common-sense approach to the situation and a defender of the possibility that Law did not intend to defraud his customers, however awful his business practices may have been (they sucked). Whether or not I have enough information to cast final judgment on Law (I do not), I do believe I have enough information to say with considerable certainty that he is no longer worth the trouble of a common-sense approach, or at least not my common-sense approach.

I regret the sometimes rude manner in which I addressed those whom I felt were approaching the situation illogically (making claims that were impossible to know for certain then and even now, essentially hosing down the situation with gasoline).

I believe many of his defenders spoke up because they had a vested interest in seeing how things played out. I believe most of us can agree that things have, by now, played out. If I had a reason to stand up for the possibility of a resolution at one time, I think you could see why I no longer would.

Feb 14, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #276 of 311
I wonder if any of his defenders will come to flame me to hell and back for daring to post here, but I think it's no longer just the business of those who lost money to this scam, but it's the business of all of head-fi.

The way I see it, he disappeared, then only reappeared long after the police had received so many complaints. Perhaps he was contacted by the police. Whatever happened, it was enough motivation to light a fire under his butt to do something.

It wasn't enough, and when the heat died down, he exited stage left.

I think that was his only motivation, the only reason he made any effort at all there at the end. Had their been no investigation attempt, there would have been no pretend second-effort.

Feb 14, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #277 of 311
No, I wasn't dreaming. There is a pic of a storm audio DAC on the ad - along with other products they distribute, graham slee, hadcock, nu force etc etc.

Anyway I went to the site and the only mention I could find is here:

What's New at HIAudio Distribution

Scroll down and you see where they got a pandora from storm and were impressed.

It doesn't look like they are promoting it that much on the site -but then they are more of a distributor than a retailer.

Anyways, after rubbing in a bit more salt, I had to go back and double check that I did see what I thought I saw.

Fran

Feb 14, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #278 of 311
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The way I see it, he disappeared, then only reappeared long after the police had received so many complaints. Perhaps he was contacted by the police. Whatever happened, it was enough motivation to light a fire under his butt to do something.

It wasn't enough, and when the heat died down, he exited stage left.

I think that was his only motivation, the only reason he made any effort at all there at the end. Had their been no investigation attempt, there would have been no pretend second-effort.

This is certainly a possibility. From my vantage, based on what I know and what I suspect I know, the bottom line is that Law simply discovered he was an awful businessman twice. Whatever other factors and occurrences were caught up in the surrounding cyclone, those were the two cannonballs that sunk the ship.

Feb 15, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #279 of 311
Awful businessman , but good thief.
He made thousands of dollars, including $287 of mine without lifting a finger.
The only time he made any effort at all is when the police were on his tail .
Without question , a genuine con artist .

Feb 24, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #280 of 311
Quote:

Originally Posted by mat2112 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awful businessman , but good thief.
He made thousands of dollars, including $287 of mine without lifting a finger.
The only time he made any effort at all is when the police were on his tail .
Without question , a genuine con artist .

Ken wrong side of the Law

Mar 6, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #281 of 311
Absolutely un-****ing-believable!!

I don't believe what the hell I'm reading. This months copy of HiFi world, a very well respected mag from the UK, one of my favourites.

Page 57:

Review: Storm Force

David Allcock does a review of teh Storm audio Pandora DAC, now being distributed in the UK by HI-Audio (see my post back up a ways). He describes in detail the build quality, circuit details and there is a fill panel about Ken Law and how teh chassis are being made in China and the assembly in Hong Kong "much of it by Ken himself".

This is just unbelievable. This guy totally rips off a bunch of people here (who essentially give him his start up capital) then he ignores them while he cuts a deal to launch the product in the UK.

I am copying this thread to HiFi World and Hi-Audio.....

Fran

Mar 7, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #283 of 311
Thanks for the info .....I just emailed Hi-fi world and let them know
that this person calling himself Ken Law is most definetly not to be trusted .
I just hope others don't lose money dealing with this con artist.

Mar 7, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #284 of 311
Greetings, having been alerted to this thread just prior to leaving for the Bristol show, it is only know I have time to write.

We have been in contact with Ken Law of Storm Audio since the early 2007 after a recommendation to his products by an attendee of the Manchester Hi Fi Show. Ken eventually sent us a DAC, the Pandora NOS unit to evaluate, back in August 2007.

We loved it, having been sent many others in the hope we would distribute, this was the first we liked. We first used it at Heathrow in September 2007 still new and not really run in and again at Bristol just last week.

Ken has acquitted himself well with us, delivering product when paid, and has been easy to communicate with, although there have been blackouts at times. This is not unusual, a good friend reported to me he had only 5 days online in February with Tiscali, the rest of the time no link no email no internet. I do not however know what provider Ken uses in Hong Kong.

For any who have sent money we know the Pandora took longer to develop than intended, but then for example, Cyrus have no CD player at the moment and NuForce are late with their Icon-1, so this can affect many in this business when new products are slated for development and eventual manufacture.

We are sorry for those who have paid and still received nothing, we have asked Ken about this and he assures us goods will be sent or refunds offered, for all those of you whom this has not already happened.

On a personal note I understand peoples frustrations here, having in my private life, been on the bad end of deals like this in the past running into many hundreds of pounds.

But this is exactly why we are here, to provide support to goods sold in the UK and support for users who have them in their systems and not leave it to a faceless name the other side of the world.

At HIAudio we try and bring the very best to the market and this we have in the Pandora NOS DAC. As the owner and Managing Director of HIAudio, I will go as far and say HIAudio will cover all products still within the normal warranty that have been manufactured by Storm Audio, that have been sold into the UK (only) prior to us starting as Kens’ Sole UK distributor.

Have a good weekend all.

Dr Hugh P. Unsworth
HIAudio

Mar 7, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #285 of 311
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh Unsworth (HIAudio) /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We are sorry for those who have paid and still received nothing, we have asked Ken about this and he assures us goods will be sent or refunds offered, for all those of you whom this has not already happened.

Unbelievable that he is still saying this. I doubt there's anyone out there that still believes him after all this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back