ACS T1 Custom Review and impressions thread!
Dec 9, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #211 of 463
Quote:
I've lost power in the right earpiece now. This is always the problem with these IEMs, isn't it? The reliability. I'm gonna send them back and they're now out of warranty, so am expecting a sting for a service. Still good that they offer the service though. Anyone been through that? How much is it likely to cost to swap out on one side? 

Now I'm wondering if my upcoming T1 Live! can last me a few good years of gentle usage without any services?

Dec 9, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #212 of 463
I've had this problem of drivers failing a number of times....funnily enough, the majority of the time it was the right hand side.
To give them their due, each time, ACS have replaced the driver free of charge, even when my T1s were out of warranty.

The number of failures I have experienced has made me wonder if there is a an inherent problem with the "squidgy'ness" of the shells. No matter how carefully you insert and remove them, there must be some flexing of the shells going on. I wonder if that slight flexing over time is enough to damage internal connections?
Without knowing the actual results of ACS's investigations of my failures and how many other owners experience this problem, this is purely speculation. I just find it hard to believe I have been unlucky with the drivers so many times. 

Dec 9, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #213 of 463
Interesting observation....I have had the custom moulds with my Etymotic hf3's for a couple of years. I love them Very comfortable with 4-8 hours per day of use. So I ordered the T1's since they had them on file and they have been so comfortable. It will be interesting to see how resilient the soft silicon is with the drivers imbedded. Well, they should be here in about 10 days so we will find out....Hoping for the best!

Dec 11, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #214 of 463
My experience with UE-10 Pro, which I initially ordered in the dual-material version, is exactly that the pliability of the material might be a problem. Metal fatigue in contacts is an undeniable fact. If the pliability applies to or near the contacts, in the end something is gonna give.

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #215 of 463
Well, I'll know soon enough. Given the number of Bands who use them, they must be able to take the pounding.....My guess is that Roger Waters would be picky about his in ear monitors.

Dec 11, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #216 of 463
I'm new here. Having read through this thread I'm somewhat concerned!

I ordered T1 Live IEMs a couple of weeks back based on some research which did not include this forum, because I've only found it today.  I am getting the IEMs primarily for on-stage use and they should arrive in a week or so.  I ordered them through the ever-popular Monika, which it seems may have been a lucky good move.

Some of the posts on here have got me wondering if I have done the right thing choosing these - reliability, fit problems etc. I need these both to work well and be reliable so I'm thinking I need to be lucky there also.

While shopping around I called ACS to enquire about the Ambient Sound Processor availability and was told it was 'imminent' without a specific date being given  Like another drummer on here I want that functionality. I was given a clue on the price, which I guess I should not share here.  It's not cheap chaps!

Here's hoping.

Dec 11, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #217 of 463
Always more dissatisfied then satisfied in the forums..The satisfied are too busy using their toys! I would assume quality as they are used by too many bands for too long to be of poor design and quality.

I am anxiously awaiting my T1's!

Dec 11, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #218 of 463
I hear what you say longbowbbs. Certainly the whiners will be more vocal.

Re the big bands issue -  they will probably carry spares.  At the T1 Price I can't, so if they fail it would be back to the junk I'm using now
redface.gif

Dec 11, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #219 of 463
I know I won't have 2 pair.....The budget says one at that is a stretch!

Dec 11, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #220 of 463

I'm new here. Having read through this thread I'm somewhat concerned!

I ordered T1 Live IEMs a couple of weeks back based on some research which did not include this forum, because I've only found it today.  I am getting the IEMs primarily for on-stage use and they should arrive in a week or so.  I ordered them through the ever-popular Monika, which it seems may have been a lucky good move.

Some of the posts on here have got me wondering if I have done the right thing choosing these - reliability, fit problems etc. I need these both to work well and be reliable so I'm thinking I need to be lucky there also.

While shopping around I called ACS to enquire about the Ambient Sound Processor availability and was told it was 'imminent' without a specific date being given  Like another drummer on here I want that functionality. I was given a clue on the price, which I guess I should not share here.  It's not cheap chaps!

Here's hoping.

Agreed. Luck does play its role a lot. I've visited almost every forum thread on the internet regarding the T1 - and while some folks insisted that their T1s have lasted them a good few years, some other actually claimed that they have been troubled by having to send the T1 back for repair repeatedly. While I do suspect that the old fixed - knotted cable design is the main reason why, there are definitely cases regarding the drivers - but whether or not the real number exceeds those of other CIEM manufacturers is questionable. Even with a product of this league, defects do exist, and it's just your luck if you happen to stumble upon them,
Having said all that, I'm a lot more reassured with the detachable cable and the new wax filter system. Regarding the wax guard, I think ACS has been listening and responding to the feedbacks they have received. Also, generally speaking, silicone shelled CIEMs are more resistant to drops and more tolerant to fit problems than conventional acrylic (does not translate into me dropping them like there's no tomorrow and not sending them back if I've got a bad fit - I'd baby them for sure!)

Dec 11, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #221 of 463
I am curious to see how the cable attach since ACS has developed their own connection. Look very secure. They did mention they should have an iPhone compatible cable by spring.

Dec 12, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #222 of 463
My T1's have not arrived yet but I can add a bit about the cables. Because I ordered the T1's through Monika I got a spare cable as part of the deal. It is made by Sonion and if you check out the Sonion website you can see the details of the connectors there. At the earpiece end they are micro-miniature 45 degree female connectors with 5 poles. It looks like only two poles are being used (seems logical).  The cable assembly itself is not listed on the Sonion website. The packaging says it's a CS 45 Adaptor/Plug Special.

I'm really curious about the still-to-be-released processor.  Unless they have done something really clever the cable will surely need more cores to get the T1 internal mic signals back to the processor. The mini-jack would also have to be replaced with a connector having more poles. I would expect a new cable to come with the processor.

Dec 12, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #223 of 463
Quote:
I hear what you say longbowbbs. Certainly the whiners will be more vocal.

Not sure I would class myself as a whiner - dont remember whining about my T1s - just passing on my personal experiences with the T1

With 4 repairs in the time I have had the T1s, maybe I was just unlucky. I am fairly certain that I am not ham fisted and have treated them with the same care as my other CIEMs (which have never failed).
I agree that the silicone shell certainly feels like it can absorb knocks much better than acrylic shells, so perhaps my issues have been related to failures around the old style cable knot? It would be interesting to know whether T1 failures are on par with acrylic CIEMs and also whether the new style detachable cables improve things.

@longbowbbs - I think Roger Waters now uses JH Audio

Dec 12, 2012 at 3:58 AM Post #224 of 463
Quote:
Not sure I would class myself as a whiner - dont remember whining about my T1s - just passing on my personal experiences with the T1

@ krtyten123 My comment was intended to be general and not directed at any individual. It is my experience that product-related forums attract those who feel they have cause for complaint more than those who are happy with the product.

For myself I appreciate you passing on your personal experience with the T1 in a straightforward manner, which I do not regard as whining. Thanks

Dec 12, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #225 of 463
Kryten123, not trying to point fingers at anyone. I appreciate your sharing. Just human nature to talk about unhappy experiences more often that satisfactory ones. No question when we invest good $$ on discretionary (or professional) tech we need it to be reliable. Very disappointing when things break or fail.

As a community is is very helpful to see first person experiences for everyones consideration. Seems that ACS has top flight service when issues do arise. Very comforting when Murphy's Law is sometimes unavoidable.

I am considering a pair of JH16's as well. Part of the hobby but I will likely wait until next year's Black Friday discount opportunity and spend a year banging on the T1's as primary CIEM.

I should have mine in about 10 days. They said their spot in the queue should have them to me a week before Christmas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back