ACS Encore Studio New 5 Driver CIEM!
May 3, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #991 of 1,234
I went from Er4p's with custom ACS tips to Evolve customs, and I wouldn't recommend it for an Ety fan. That amazing detail / presence just isn't there and the sound overall is very dark and veiled. The new Etymotic model with more bass looks really interesting and I wish I'd gone that direction.

May 3, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #992 of 1,234
It's taken me a while to get used to the Encore sound. It seems to paradoxically do great soundstaging and detail, while rolling off the highs. Getting that fit/seal just right helps some. Send like a really good, custom silver cable would improve things here, but you're limited to the Linum. Maybe the super Linum they're supposed to release will help.

May 3, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #993 of 1,234
  I went from Er4p's with custom ACS tips to Evolve customs, and I wouldn't recommend it for an Ety fan. That amazing detail / presence just isn't there and the sound overall is very dark and veiled. The new Etymotic model with more bass looks really interesting and I wish I'd gone that direction.

I managed to borrow a pair of the universals over the weekend and I feel that I wouldnt be happy with them overall, I agree they sound a bit "dark" for my taste.

I will likely get a pair of the new er4, if they still do the trade thing.

May 3, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #994 of 1,234
  I managed to borrow a pair of the universals over the weekend

The Evolves or the Encores?
Universals only give you a glimpse of the performance of the Encores. Interestingly when I tried the Evolves and compared them to the Encores , the sound signature was less rich more forward in the mids and thinner. I thought they sounded like my ER4ps at the time I listened to them.
Living with the Encores now for a year I think they are rich and detailed and whilst not forward in the mids and highs have plenty of good thiings going on there too. And the bass is still incredible as when I first put them on.
Compared with the IE800s or my oBravo ERIB-2as the micro details are slightly more hidden but there are no winners or losers in a league table of this quality only different flavours that one becomes accustomed to and appreciates over the course of months and years.

May 3, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #995 of 1,234
  The Evolves or the Encores?
Universals only give you a glimpse of the performance of the Encores. Interestingly when I tried the Evolves and compared them to the Encores , the sound signature was less rich more forward in the mids and thinner. I thought they sounded like my ER4ps at the time I listened to them.
Living with the Encores now for a year I think they are rich and detailed and whilst not forward in the mids and highs have plenty of good thiings going on there too. And the bass is still incredible as when I first put them on.
Compared with the IE800s or my oBravo ERIB-2as the micro details are slightly more hidden but there are no winners or losers in a league table of this quality only different flavours that one becomes accustomed to and appreciates over the course of months and years.

Evolves, I was thinking about universals so it is relevant to me. I think they really need an amp to sound their best (i use my phone as a source 80% of the time now, and its rather low powered tbh)

May 3, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #996 of 1,234
Use a balanced Pono for my Encores, has enough juice, also use the Liquid Carbon for it.

May 4, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #997 of 1,234
My Evolves sound terrific out of my iPhone 5S.  They sound better out of a Mojo and in that sense I would say, sure, they need outboard equipment to sound their best.  But still, to my ears, ridiculously good out of a phone.

May 31, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #998 of 1,234

This is all for now....

Becomes.............

They look even more impressive in person 
biggrin.gif

Mother of pearl Red and Purple Null Audio special re-shell Encore universal for me.

May 31, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #999 of 1,234
Jun 1, 2016 at 4:14 AM Post #1,001 of 1,234
I've asked Piotr from Custom Art to do the same :)

Jun 1, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #1,002 of 1,234
They're beautiful...they're done as a universal. Sounds as good as they look? Does plastic sound better?

Jun 1, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #1,003 of 1,234
They're beautiful...they're done as a universal. Sounds as good as they look? Does plastic sound better?

acrylic ^^^

Sounds warm and expansive for me , very pleased with them.

I will be using their reshell skills in furture. They also reterminated the linum cable to 2 pin for free

The RHA tips work real well with them.

Took a while but worth the wait

Jun 9, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #1,004 of 1,234
So, I've been not enthralled with my Encores, mostly listen through a Pono. Tonight I tried using the Pono into a Liquid Carbon. Much better, highs no longer rolled off. Tried a DX90, also much better. Some sort of mismatch? (Love my Pono with most headphones, though I found it didn't mate week with my Etymotic ER-4 either)

Jun 10, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #1,005 of 1,234
It could be, doctorjazz. I don't find treble roll off when I use the Encore with the LPG...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back