ACS Encore Studio New 5 Driver CIEM!
Nov 5, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #766 of 1,234
I still listen to them every night...that's the problem here on Head Fi often, myself included, "new toy syndrome" makes for very strong first impressions, and sometimes it takes months to really get to know some gear. And, if you read what I wrote, it's not that I don't like them...couldn't listen to them every night if they were bad to listen to. But, I am having issues with top end roll off, and I just wonder if, at what they cost, I might have done better. Could just be me and my set...

Nov 5, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #767 of 1,234
I have been trying very hard to enjoy mine but I just can't. They do indeed lack air up in the treble and sounds stuffy and lacking clarity/transparency, IMO .
They sound OK but switching to the DUNU 2000J is like a breath of fresh air.
I have been thinking about sending them back to have them checked but not too sure if it is worth it. 

Nov 5, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #768 of 1,234
I have been trying very hard to enjoy mine but I just can't. They do indeed lack air up in the treble and sounds stuffy and lacking clarity/transparency, IMO .
I have been thinking about sending them back to have them checked but not too sure if it is worth it. 

Also considering getting in touch with the folks in the Manhattan office...it's not like something jumps out that is wrong (it did a few times, with channel imbalance happening on mine, but they corrected that). It's just, as you say, they haven't been able to grab me the way I'd expect. I could be spoiled by the HE-1000, which is great sounding (and, to be fair, does list for about 3 times as much), but I enjoy listening to the Phonak PFE-232 more, at least the last time I used them. They are inoffensive, but lack that high end and don't grab as they should, I think...

Nov 5, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #770 of 1,234
Well I've ordered a pair but i've always been underwhelmed with customs, just don't think they're as mind blowing as they're made out to be, always a bit of the emperor's new clothes about them. Never found one that convincingly trounces the ER4S or equals a good Stax setup like some reviewers claim...'You live and learn' does not seem to apply with headphones?

Nov 5, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #771 of 1,234
It's my first time venturing into the world of customs...logically, you'd expect having it custom built for you seems like it would make all the difference in SQ, but, like in many things, the devil is in the details. Again, it's not that they are objectionable, bad sounding, hard to tolerate, nothing like that. And, maybe something is wrong, I probably should contact acs again (sent them back at least 3 times already). But, they are smooth, unobjectionable, actually pretty good to fall asleep with in its way, but I expected more (and, expected high frequencies).

Nov 6, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #772 of 1,234
I eq all my phones now. The better the phone the better it responds to eqing. I don't see any shame in it, the studios all eq everything. There is such a thing outthere xcalled the harman response curve which is worth doing some research on and seeing whether this sound signature is to your liking. Any iem or full size should respond to it. It should sort out any problems with rolled off treble too much mid too much bass etc. Worth a try and can always be tailored to your personal taste once you'vegot the hang of it
Trev

Nov 6, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #773 of 1,234

They're not exactly a treblehead IEM and I sometimes find myself wanting a more open and airy sound...then I'll listen to something else and find myself thinking that it sounds thin and anemic by comparison. I suppose a lot of it is down to the music you feed them.

Nov 6, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #774 of 1,234
Looking forward to listening to them, opinion seems polarised. Always found the treble drivers are the last to open up and settle in.

Nov 6, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #775 of 1,234
That would be great!

Nov 6, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #779 of 1,234
What made you go for the Encore? I'm not sure I'd buy them based on some of the comments in this thread.

Because I owned the T1 and they were excellent for all but the bass, better than the UE11 in the mid and top end, can't see there being such a huge difference in the voicing. There are also comments in this thread saying they are exceptional...I'm looking forward to finding out! The JH Audio cable termination at the monitor end is a cheap option so I passed on them.

Nov 6, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #780 of 1,234
What made you go for the Encore? I'm not sure I'd buy them based on some of the comments in this thread.

Because I owned the T1 and they were excellent for all but the bass, better than the UE11 in the mid and top end, can't see there being such a huge difference in the voicing. There are also comments in this thread saying they are exceptional...I'm looking forward to finding out! The JH Audio cable termination at the monitor end is a cheap option so I passed on them.

Looking forward to your impressions as well. Had the T1 as well, also felt they were missing bass, now I'm missing the top (bass is good), but maybe it'll just take more time...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back