ACS Custom Sleeves With Westone 3
Nov 4, 2009 at 5:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Big Kev

500+ Head-Fier
I originally received my sleeves in April and since then, I've also had three replacements.

The first two were replaced and quickly developed the same fault, where the nozzle hole wouldn't keep the phones in place, so they asked me to send my phones in, so that they could check their set up, which I duly did. Needless to say, after two weeks, the third set developed the same fault as well.

About three weeks ago, Andy Shiach, the Managing Director, actually came down to South London to meet me, so that we could find a solution, which was pretty good of him.

He told me that the nozzle on the Westones had no indent/notch on them, so the sleeves had nothing to grip onto and there were two options. I could have something permanently inserted onto the nozzle, so they would grip, which I didn't want, due to it affecting the resale value. The second was to have a set made which would go on top of the phones, to keep them in place, so I went for this option.

Adam from ACS, hand delivered them to me today and the left sleeve was made differently and didn't fit at all, so I'm at my wits end now.

Since April, I've probably only had them for a couple of months and wondered if anyone on here has had a hassle free fit with their Westones?

Nov 4, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #3 of 24
I would have thought that the ACS sleeves which cover the driver housing as well as the nozzles should have more to grip onto and would take the W3's lack of nozzle notch out of the equation. I guess this isn't the case?

I own the Westone UM-56 tips and had several fit problems with the tips, but not so much the problem of the tips sliding off as you described. However, one of my tips was made a bit too short for my W3 (and even shorter for the Shure SE530 for which it was designed), so I have to place the tip almost on the edge of the nozzle. If I don't pull the IEMs out of my ear slowly, the tip will stay in my ear and I have to remove it using the clear "antennae".

Is this basically the problem you're having? Or do the tips come off even while you're wearing them? It would seem that making the diameter of the tips' holes smaller might help make them fit more snugly onto the nozzle.

Nov 5, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #4 of 24
The latest set may be the solution, as they half cover the housing, but the left sleeve hasn't been made correctly, so will have to be remade, if I can be bothered after all this time.

I was just wondering if other Westone owners had the same nozzle fit problems as me.

Nov 5, 2009 at 9:47 AM Post #5 of 24
Simple... apply nail polish on the bore of the ACS sleeves... I did the same thing on my um56 as the bore is being enlarge by e500 and um3x noozle is slightly smaller.

Nov 5, 2009 at 10:17 AM Post #6 of 24
Sorry to hear your issues, I hope they're sorted now. I'm having my impressions done today for my ACS sleeves. I hope they work out ok.

Jul 4, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #7 of 24
Damn, I just caught sight of this topic after sending in my Westone 2s for ACS Custom Sleeves. As they've never done it for the W2s before, I sent in my earphones as well. I hope that I don't get the same problems as you do, or they've learnt from the problems given from the W3s - because the nozzle is the same, is it not? Just the encasing is slightly bigger.

I'll update on a separate topic once I receive them to review the Custom Sleeves from ACS.

Jul 5, 2010 at 5:57 AM Post #8 of 24

Quote:
Damn, I just caught sight of this topic after sending in my Westone 2s for ACS Custom Sleeves. As they've never done it for the W2s before, I sent in my earphones as well. I hope that I don't get the same problems as you do, or they've learnt from the problems given from the W3s - because the nozzle is the same, is it not? Just the encasing is slightly bigger.

I'll update on a separate topic once I receive them to review the Custom Sleeves from ACS.

I really hope the nozzle isn't the same as the W3's mate, otherwise I can't see you having a different outcome than I did, but I wish you good luck and await your opinion.

Jul 5, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #9 of 24
I have the UM56s too, and had them made for the UM3X. Oddly, they kept popping off, as if pressure or something caused it. Was a royal pain in the butt. The Westone rep told me to wash them thoroughly with soap and water, which I did, but no matter. It just kept happening. I wound up selling my UM3X awhile ago, but the UM56s are great with the new Ety MC5s, no problems staying on. No idea what caused it, but it's not isolated according to some other HFers.

Quote:
I have the UM56 and never have any issues with my UM3x. It sound so good that I did put a hold to get an impression for JH13 order.

Jul 5, 2010 at 10:10 AM Post #10 of 24

Quote:
Sorry to hear your issues, I hope they're sorted now. I'm having my impressions done today for my ACS sleeves. I hope they work out ok.

I had mine done, there were questions over fit issues as I was worried about it, but mine is more or less hassle free. I had them done and the left side fits like a charm, the right seems a tad looser, but they both seal very well and isolation is a distant thing of the past for me. Hope it works out alright for you

Jul 5, 2010 at 10:15 AM Post #11 of 24
I also purchased the ACS customs for the W3s after getting somewhat annoyed with the sibilance issues using the default tips that come attached to the W3s. I would say that I personally found the added benefits of this particular investment to be near minimal - the only real detail I noticed was the obvious treble shift the ACS tips have compared to the triple flange sleeeves.

However, to answer your point - I also had the issue where after 2 weeks use the right tip refused to sit on the earpiece and it seemed to be the nozzle was the main culprit. I subsequently stopped using the ACS tips altogether for about a year but out of curiousity I tried them again recently and to my surprise they suddenly fit onto the earpieces with no problems. To be honest, I no longer care as I simply don't use them anyway and have just decided to take the loss on the chin. But I would guess that by the sounds of it the issue seems to be that the material appears to undergo very slight temporary thermal deformation when in constant use or it may be due to the season you are wearing them.

Best of luck sorting it out.

PS how did you find the tips anyway? and why did you choose to buy them in the first place?

PPS I would definitely NOT recommend these to anyone

Jul 5, 2010 at 10:27 AM Post #12 of 24

Quote:
I also purchased the ACS customs for the W3s after getting somewhat annoyed with the sibilance issues using the default tips that come attached to the W3s. I would say that I personally found the added benefits of this particular investment to be near minimal - the only real detail I noticed was the obvious treble shift the ACS tips have compared to the triple flange sleeeves.

However, to answer your point - I also had the issue where after 2 weeks use the right tip refused to sit on the earpiece and it seemed to be the nozzle was the main culprit. I subsequently stopped using the ACS tips altogether for about a year but out of curiousity I tried them again recently and to my surprise they suddenly fit onto the earpieces with no problems. To be honest, I no longer care as I simply don't use them anyway and have just decided to take the loss on the chin. But I would guess that by the sounds of it the issue seems to be that the material appears to undergo very slight temporary thermal deformation when in constant use or it may be due to the season you are wearing them.

Best of luck sorting it out.

PS how did you find the tips anyway? and why did you choose to buy them in the first place?

PPS I would definitely NOT recommend these to anyone

I thought I'd try them out, just for the isolation and comfort, but found that for the two weeks or so that they actually stayed on the nozzle, they enhanced the W3's in virtually every department and absolutely loved them to bits.

Unfortunately, after more disappointment, I just got a refund and wouldn't recommend them at all for the Westone's, but for other IEM's that don't have this issue, I definitely would.

Jul 5, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #14 of 24
You did, but this was primarily my fault. I was researching into what I just bought... and now I'm worried about the outcome.

My main problem is that my ears are pretty small, and with normal tips it can get pretty uncomfortable. I don't like Comply Tips because they have a poor seal when it comes to bassy tunes and they wear out, so I thought I'd try these guys out. I know ACS are meant to be quite amazing for their Custom IEMs, but I didn't really know how they fared up with these sleeves... I guess I'll find out soon enough. I've never gotten a proper seal with silicon eartips, so I have always had to use foam ones.

Quote:
oooh. I just realised I responded to an uber old thread lol.

Jul 5, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #15 of 24
Just as an FYI, Ety has subcontracted all their custom sleeves to ACS (says so on their website). But the Ety sound tube is very good in staying on with custom sleeves,as I used my UM56s with the MC5s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back