Acoustic Research Mysterious New Audiophile DAP
Feb 7, 2015 at 6:58 AM Post #166 of 215
  ^ Well from the specs it seems to be the most powerful dap of its size, only bested by the fat brick daps, so that's unique enough for most.

This is not a criticism of the DAP; it's merely an observation:

The reason it's not a fat brick is probably because it's bigger in the other dimensions - how many other DAPs are there with a 5" screen?
biggrin.gif

I doubt the AR-M2 will be for me, but it's nice to see more and more competition in this segment of the market, especially to make Sony think twice with their pricing (maybe not this time around, but maybe with the ZX3).

Feb 7, 2015 at 7:05 AM Post #167 of 215
I don't think Sony will ever release a ZX3, they will instead shift their focus once more on having better sounding phone capable of hires audio.

ZX2 wastage simply because they forgot that DSD was also a main feature of hires movement, not to mention the embarrassing fact of forgetting a technology that Sone made and producing a product that lacked native support for it.

Feb 7, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #168 of 215

The reason it's not a fat brick is probably because it's bigger in the other dimensions - how many other DAPs are there with a 5" screen?
biggrin.gif

True, but Calyx M has a 5" screen and is half as powerful as dx90 and x5 both with 2.4" screens 
biggrin.gif

5" is not a problem if the dap is thin enough imo, I personally feel the thinness of the AR-M2 is much more valuable than a thicker dap that has smaller face dimensions, I can't say for sure but the AR-M2 does look to be more pocketable than the Calyx M due to being thinner.

Feb 7, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #169 of 215
Calyx-M has 4.65" screen, but I take your point
wink_face.gif

Purely from the perspective of SQ, I am currently most interested in the Questyle QP1

We all know other features are important, too, but the QP1 looks relatively unique in terms of what it may offer from a SQ POV.

As for the AR-M2, I'm actually quite surprised at how gutsy its amp stage is claimed to be. Who knows - it could surprise us all with a class-leading performance; stranger things have happened.

This may be cheaper, but it still looks quite interesting:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/750875/she-is-called-esther-soundaware-new-portable-player-thread

Feb 7, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #170 of 215
^ I can't say the circuit of that QP1 looks particularly impressive really (especially for the price), the discrete amp is a very nice feature, but not counting the discrete amp section QP1 circuit looks like corners have been cut in many essential places to achieve a compact circuit, like the power supply filtering and power delivery circuitry is obviously bare minimal, and having the cpu plonked next to the analog section is not ideal, these are traits that all compact daps have. QP1 is essentially in same league as DX90 and X5 and may or may not edge them out, it doesn't strike me as worth its high price. My days of compact daps like DX90 or QP1 are over, I would rather get a brick dap that has much less corners cut in its circuit design, I'm liking the QLS QA360, features a discrete triode Class A amp section and the most fully fledged power filtering and power delivery circuitry I've seen in a dap.

Feb 7, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #173 of 215
The QP1 is ugly as sin to me...end of conversation.

Only the (potential) end of a conversation about who offers the best-looking DAP.

...but not the end of any conversation about who offers one of the best-sounding DAPs, and we don't know that aspect yet
biggrin.gif

As an ex HM-901 (and current AK240) owner, Mim', I am surprised you dismiss the QP1 on the basis of its looks!

Feb 7, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #174 of 215
Trust me guys this is one DAP you want to keep an eye on. I tried it pretty much side by side with the AK240 I know I certainly had a preference. This was with a variation of earphone and headphone, don't misunderstand me the AK240 was singing with the JH audio Layla but the AR-M2 had more going for it when I paired my Dunu 2000's with it. It may be a synergy thing the Layla are certainly better than my humble Dunu but even the Sennheiser HD800 sounded better than I've ever heard them before. Take this with a pinch of salt as these are very preliminary impressions but I will be sure to put as much detail as I can with the review unit all being well. 

Feb 7, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #175 of 215
Feb 7, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #177 of 215
Only the (potential) end of a conversation about who offers the best-looking DAP.

...but not the end of any conversation about who offers one of the best-sounding DAPs, and we don't know that aspect yet :D  

As an ex HM-901 (and current AK240) owner, Mim', I am surprised you dismiss the QP1 on the basis of its looks!

Well it is only the end for me, and I did sell the 901 precisely for that....but I will still be curious to test the QP1, because I do not much trust people's feedback on DAPs now. It should be testable In China soon. And the ARM 2 as well.

The latter is interesting. I remember the first one was quite powerful for a small DAP, but had ridiculous battery and memory and was slightly boosted in the subbass to give it more rumble.

Feb 15, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #179 of 215

True, but Calyx M has a 5" screen and is half as powerful as dx90 and x5 both with 2.4" screens 
biggrin.gif

5" is not a problem if the dap is thin enough imo, I personally feel the thinness of the AR-M2 is much more valuable than a thicker dap that has smaller face dimensions, I can't say for sure but the AR-M2 does look to be more pocketable than the Calyx M due to being thinner.

I think it is as well but still not pocketable for me. Don't understand 5" screens with frames for 'portable' music players.

Feb 15, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #180 of 215
  5" screen cool! I was hoping for OLED, for the slightly lower electrical noise and slightly higher battery efficiency, but not a big deal. I mean even Sony didn't pony up an OLED display for their 1.2k ZX2 = profit 
rolleyes.gif

Seems they use TPA6120A for amplifier, so will have an output impedance of 10 ohm, which I'm not happy with, unless they fixed this somehow with added resistors.

Can't lower the output impedance with resistors but they are typically lowered by increased feedback or follower transistors to get their spec. OLED would more likely be increased price as opposed to decreased profit. 

So is there a projected US price yet? $999? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back