Acoustic Research M20 Coming soon
Jul 6, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #106 of 553
Ya, that is why I have not pulled the trigger on the M2 yet.  Hopefully the M20 still has good SQ, and they didn't pare it down too much. 

It seems like a pretty radical change of electronics. I would be surprised if it sounded as good as the M2. Why keep both in production with a fairly hefty price difference otherwise?
I don't understand why they didn't give a variable gain to the M2 to accommodate different headphones. There again I know next to nothing about electronics!

Jul 7, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #107 of 553
So my m20 arrived two days ago (I live in Japan) and I have been listening to it non stop. In the last few years ive owned and used sonys z1060 walkman, the a17 plus pha1a combo, an ipod classic, an iphone 6 and an astell&kern ak100 the original. I have also auditioned extensively the sony zx100 and was just ready to pull the trigger on that before deciding to take a gamble with the m20.
I have to say these are just on a whole nother level compared to all the above. Ive always considered myself a bit of a basshead and thought sonys mega bass was the best eq out of everything i had heard. I dont touch the eq on the m20 and the bass hits harder and more importantly more cleanly than ive ever heard.
Oh yeah forgot to mention that i use these with westone um pro 50s jvc fx700 and UE tf10s.

I doubt i can bebothered doing a review or anything but if you have any questions I'll try to answer them.

Jul 7, 2016 at 3:33 AM Post #109 of 553
I can't hear any hissing whatsoever with any of my iems. I would say the sound is slightly warm but not as much the sony sound and the detail is astounding. Unfortunately I don't use any streaming services so don't have any experience on that although the official acoustic research japanese website tells you to install the amazon app marketplace as an alternative to google so if its available on amazon you can install it no worries.

Jul 7, 2016 at 5:20 AM Post #110 of 553
It seems like a pretty radical change of electronics. I would be surprised if it sounded as good as the M2. Why keep both in production with a fairly hefty price difference otherwise?
I don't understand why they didn't give a variable gain to the M2 to accommodate different headphones. There again I know next to nothing about electronics!

Honestly do any of us know what or why companies do what they do they have their product designer and I assume from knowing him quite well his end goal was to keep it in budget without sacrificing an ounce of sound quality. 

Jul 7, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #111 of 553
So my m20 arrived two days ago (I live in Japan) and I have been listening to it non stop. In the last few years ive owned and used sonys z1060 walkman, the a17 plus pha1a combo, an ipod classic, an iphone 6 and an astell&kern ak100 the original. I have also auditioned extensively the sony zx100 and was just ready to pull the trigger on that before deciding to take a gamble with the m20.
I have to say these are just on a whole nother level compared to all the above. Ive always considered myself a bit of a basshead and thought sonys mega bass was the best eq out of everything i had heard. I dont touch the eq on the m20 and the bass hits harder and more importantly more cleanly than ive ever heard.
Oh yeah forgot to mention that i use these with westone um pro 50s jvc fx700 and UE tf10s.

I doubt i can bebothered doing a review or anything but if you have any questions I'll try to answer them.

I can't hear any hissing whatsoever with any of my iems. I would say the sound is slightly warm but not as much the sony sound and the detail is astounding. Unfortunately I don't use any streaming services so don't have any experience on that although the official acoustic research japanese website tells you to install the amazon app marketplace as an alternative to google so if its available on amazon you can install it no worries.

Honestly do any of us know what or why companies do what they do they have their product designer and I assume from knowing him quite well his end goal was to keep it in budget without sacrificing an ounce of sound quality. 

This all sounds very promising. :) Great to have early impressions. Thanks JaeJae69.

Jul 7, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #112 of 553
It looks like the M20 is now available on the UK website. :)
I'm almost ready to pull the trigger but a few questions.
Is there a trial period offered?
The description says that there is 64gb onboard storage. The specs say 32. Which is correct and why the discrepancy?
Is offline storage of Tidal albums possible on the SD card, if so is playback between onboard and SD seem less?
Does Tidal play through the main playback circuits of the player?
Finally, Is there a case available?
If Dunun 8086 can answer that lot for me I would hugely appreciate it!

Jul 8, 2016 at 3:19 AM Post #113 of 553
It looks like the M20 is now available on the UK website.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm almost ready to pull the trigger but a few questions.
Is there a trial period offered?
The description says that there is 64gb onboard storage. The specs say 32. Which is correct and why the discrepancy?
Is offline storage of Tidal albums possible on the SD card, if so is playback between onboard and SD seem less?
Does Tidal play through the main playback circuits of the player?
Finally, Is there a case available?
If Dunun 8086 can answer that lot for me I would hugely appreciate it!

Hey let shipping commence just got wind stock will be in by end of next week!! Hit me up with PM for more details!! 

A trial period hasn't been offically launched yet although AR are thinking of releasing it. Once the tour is setup put your name in and you might just get the chance to try it out hehe.
Humm that description needs to be changed certainly 32GB on board not sure why it's so low but there is now stable support for most 256GB cards! Probably due to a last minute spec change...
Not sure I will check on that because that would be very useful! 
Yes Tial and streaming apps will sound just as good as you can get from the inbuilt player with the selected file format. 
Yes there will be a slip on one if I am not mistaken I will try get some pics uploaded. 

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #114 of 553
Hey let shipping commence just got wind stock will be in by end of next week!! Hit me up with PM for more details!! 

A trial period hasn't been offically launched yet although AR are thinking of releasing it. Once the tour is setup put your name in and you might just get the chance to try it out hehe.
Humm that description needs to be changed certainly 32GB on board not sure why it's so low but there is now stable support for most 256GB cards! Probably due to a last minute spec change...
Not sure I will check on that because that would be very useful! 
Yes Tial and streaming apps will sound just as good as you can get from the inbuilt player with the selected file format. 
Yes there will be a slip on one if I am not mistaken I will try get some pics uploaded. 

Thanks for the info.
I don't think I can wait for the tour having waited so long for the release! :wink: I guess usual distance selling terms will apply at least.
Sorry, I'm not very au fait with how these things work. Will it be possible to store Tidal offline content on the SD card?

Jul 11, 2016 at 4:09 AM Post #115 of 553
Thanks for the info.
I don't think I can wait for the tour having waited so long for the release!
wink.gif
I guess usual distance selling terms will apply at least.
Sorry, I'm not very au fait with how these things work. Will it be possible to store Tidal offline content on the SD card?

Hey bud,

No worries just buy one be happy trust me you'll love it! Good luck selling lol.

Nah I'm not the greatest I have passed on the info to the developer over there so when I get a response I'll post it up.

Jul 12, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #116 of 553
  Hey bud,

No worries just buy one be happy trust me you'll love it! Good luck selling lol.

Nah I'm not the greatest I have passed on the info to the developer over there so when I get a response I'll post it up.

Right feeling like a muppet update I checked Tidal yesterday just before hearing back from AR's developer and figured out you can choose the downloaded storage via the setting on Tidal i.e use your SD and select that option. Yes it works and means you can have 1,2,3 as much memory as you'd like all stashed away with in these memory cards pretty darn cool. 

Jul 12, 2016 at 5:58 AM Post #117 of 553
Right feeling like a muppet update I checked Tidal yesterday just before hearing back from AR's developer and figured out you can choose the downloaded storage via the setting on Tidal i.e use your SD and select that option. Yes it works and means you can have 1,2,3 as much memory as you'd like all stashed away with in these memory cards pretty darn cool. 

That's brilliant. I wonder how that works in relation to the subscription though. Presumably the files would no longer play without an account. Makes me curious as to how the info is encrypted.

Jul 12, 2016 at 6:27 AM Post #118 of 553
That's brilliant. I wonder how that works in relation to the subscription though. Presumably the files would no longer play without an account. Makes me curious as to how the info is encrypted.

Yeah I am not sure I'd like to know too. 

Just to say as my account is under investigation I won't be posting any information under this account until I hear back I am a stickler for the rules and because I work closely with the company do not want to get into trouble so bare with me as me and the Head Fi admin team iron things out. 

Jul 12, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #119 of 553
Yeah I am not sure I'd like to know too. 

Just to say as my account is under investigation I won't be posting any information under this account until I hear back I am a stickler for the rules and because I work closely with the company do not want to get into trouble so bare with me as me and the Head Fi admin team iron things out. 

I hope that gets sorted. I've found your posts really helpful.

Jul 12, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #120 of 553
I hope that gets sorted. I've found your posts really helpful.

Thanks that means a lot. I know it's not them being mean or anything just Head Fi Policy which I totally accept. I love this community and just want to make sure I get things sorted by the book before I post anything just in case it's infringement. What would I do with my spare time if I didn't have Head Fi what would I get told off for by the Mrs for spending too much time on haha. Last post for now. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back