Acoustic Research M2 Audiophile-Grade Hi-Res Portable
Oct 19, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #1,171 of 2,161
Hello JosephMorin as proof that the sound change, with the new firware; do you have two AR-M2 with different firmware to test and notice the differences? ...
Regards...
The sound does not change with the firmware as stated before, it's the PRO app that sounds slightly different; I've tried it using the firmware 2.6 but installing just the PRO app and confirmed the sound was somehow different or at least it had another volume. Then firmware 2.6.3 came out and after installing it and testing it a few minutes later, I was not able to find any significant or noticeable sound difference, it's just that the PRO and regular player still sound a bit different but enough for me to prefer the regular version.
So if you have version 2.6 and version 2.6.3 they will sound the same (at least to my ears), it's the PRO app that differs and comes installed by default on firmware 2.6.3

Oct 19, 2017 at 1:55 AM Post #1,172 of 2,161
thanks a lot for your answer you have been very clear, I think I will stay with the old firmware
You can install the firmware 2.6.3 and just use the Regular Player, the sound will be the same but if you use the PRO app, you will be able to play some files the original player won't. And the sound will differ a bit but at least you would be able to test them and decide for yourself.
Cheers!

Oct 19, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #1,173 of 2,161
*sigh*
I'm still trying to acquire an AR-M2. I was in contact with VOXX Hong Kong and they said they could ship to Canada. I provided additional info to get the process started and haven't heard back for two weeks. Is there some holiday going on over there?

Hi Signal2Noise,

We’re very sorry to keep you waiting for so long. It’s because we had to verify a third party payment system with our accounting department and due to some internal issues it took much longer than we expected. A reply was just sent to your personal email and it will guide you through the payment process.

To thank you for your patience, we will be sending you a free Folio Protective Case together with the M2 Music Player. We’re sure that you’ll have a true musical enjoyment with AR’s high-fidelity products.

Sincerely,
AR Support

Oct 19, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #1,174 of 2,161
Hi Signal2Noise,

We’re very sorry to keep you waiting for so long. It’s because we had to verify a third party payment system with our accounting department and due to some internal issues it took much longer than we expected. A reply was just sent to your personal email and it will guide you through the payment process.

To thank you for your patience, we will be sending you a free Folio Protective Case together with the M2 Music Player. We’re sure that you’ll have a true musical enjoyment with AR’s high-fidelity products.

Sincerely,
AR Support

Rocking good news! I saw the email. I will get on to completing the process asap. Thanks!

Oct 19, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #1,175 of 2,161
@Signal2Noise I'm predicting.awesomeness...powerful awesomeness

20171019_230047_001[1].jpg

Oct 19, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #1,177 of 2,161
Mine arrives today, any advice regarding setting the unit up?

It runs off Android 4.3? maybe. Which I loved most and when you plug into PC it automatically is seen as an external drive. Just drag and drop. 44.1 and up will work smooth in the Pro player. The regular might be better for mp3?I don't have any mp3

It's very potent. Most powerful DAP I have had

The vid is not published but it will push most gear with pleeeenty of headroom.

Oct 19, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #1,178 of 2,161
It runs off Android 4.3? maybe. Which I loved most and when you plug into PC it automatically is seen as an external drive. Just drag and drop. 44.1 and up will work smooth in the Pro player. The regular might be better for mp3?I don't have any mp3

It's very potent. Most powerful DAP I have have.

The vid is not published but it will push most gear with pleeeenty of headroom.

Thanks... I am partial to Burr Brown dacs combined with a Class A amp. I already own an LPG Diana Ed. and figured the M2 is configured in a similar way. Now I can do some mobile streaming with adequate power to drive whatever is in my arsenal and leave the LPG for the rest.

Oct 19, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #1,180 of 2,161
The LPG is even more powerful than the M2, but soundwise is a different story. It's like drinking distilled water and old Whiskey in comparing both DAP. My LPG has been in the shelf after I had had my M2.

Your statement has me curious to hear what you have described...

And it looks like I am in for a long night of listening. I just organized my entire digital music collection and after I format (in the player) and load up an SD card the fun will commence.

update - after a good 3-4 hours of mixed listening my first impression is:

clear detailed sound / more than enough power for IEMs (haven't tried out hp yet) / wide enough stage (didn't sense any instrument or vocal overlap) / decent Wi-Fi implementation, very few internal customizations available. all in all a very positive beginning to a life with my new cornerstone DAP? only thing left now is battery life and that will take more time

screen seems to be a fingerprint magnet. had to breakout an old iPad stylus to keep the smudges away (@Hawaiibadboy - if you haven't tried one, you should. the inconvenience of having something extra to lug around is worth having a smudge free screen)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back