Acoustic Research M2 Audiophile-Grade Hi-Res Portable
Mar 14, 2017 at 4:07 AM Post #931 of 2,161

Thanks again, @MBK1Musica.

My other concern is the battery. Many recent electronic devices have batteries that are totally non-replaceable--not even by technicians. (The QP1R apparently requires special tools.) Fortunately, Acoustic Research says the M2's battery is replaceable, although they recommend sending the device to a service center. Still, I've heard it's possible for the average user to change it. Have you tried accessing the M2's battery yourself? Would you mind investigating the potential complexities involved?

Many, many thanks!

~Brian

The M2 & M20 batteries are not designed to be user replaceable.That's why we have a service dept (-: If you try it's at your own risk and warranty is voided.

Mar 14, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #932 of 2,161
The M2 & M20 batteries are not designed to be user replaceable.That's why we have a service dept (-: If you try it's at your own risk and warranty is voided.

Hey, could you please respond to PMs and head over to the M20 and answer some questions? The silent treatment (month now) is not helpful...

Mar 14, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #933 of 2,161
As I described in earlier posts, I find the sound signature of the AR-M2 to be especially warm, almost akin to the sound you get form a tubed audio system, which is a flavor I love. To boast this sound signature, I thought that the AudioQuest NightHawk might be a good pairing and decided to get a pair.

And the outcome?
A match made in tube heaven !
Highly musical and warm sound with rich soundstage and very little fatigue.
The special treat is waiting for Jazz lovers - as you can see in the picture - who would be able to enjoy the Holy Trinity of listening to their fav jazz tracks with a sound that would mimic a live performance at the comfort of their home or office.

For classical music lovers, I found the QP1R & NightHawks pairing to be something very special that worth exploring.

Mar 14, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #934 of 2,161

I have Nighthawks at home and they sound fabulous with the AR-M2 and also with my Arcam rHead amp. Great cans and a great pairing. Sennheiser IE800 work really well with the M2 as well.

Mar 14, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #935 of 2,161
Someone new will take over AR-Voice this week. I suggest to repost any outstanding queries here. They have been alerted to watch out for updated problem reports.

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #937 of 2,161
  As I described in earlier posts, I find the sound signature of the AR-M2 to be especially warm, almost akin to the sound you get form a tubed audio system, which is a flavor I love. 

. . .

Highly musical and warm sound with rich soundstage and very little fatigue.

@MBK1Musica - I'd say we have rather similar tastes, although I gravitate strongly toward classical music. You mentioned earlier that the M2's sound signature probably isn't the best for classical. I'm sure you're right, and I'm frustrated: I've wanted an M2 for months, and I'd planned to buy one this summer. I take it you've disabled the DAP's sound effects?

I've got major reservations about the QP1R's controls, battery, and overall reliability.

Thanks,
Brian

Mar 16, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #938 of 2,161
Hey Brian,

It does sound like we have similar taste in music, and I feel that the AR-M2 would make you a happy man.

Functionally, it is far better than the QP1R and all the other players I used, incl. the AK.  The android platform is seamlessly integrated, allowing to use digital services like Tidal and Spotify, and is smooth in the process of uploading the music - it took the AR-M2 about 3-4 mins to sort through a 200GB microSD card, while the QP1R require about 12 minutes to sort through 2 cards of 128GB, and after all that time the category play [by album, song, artist, etc] was subpar with many titles not uploaded, sorted, or categorized.

Musically, the AR-M2 is perfect for vocal music, jazz and instrumental music.
As far as symphonic work, I find its big soundstage and warmth presentation to offer something very special, but there are times when I feel that I prefer more separation and details, and then I head to my QP1R.  
The QP1R has the upper hand, imho, when it come to chamber music, where its detailed presentation buys me every time.

All in all, I would say that jazz and classical music lovers cannot go wrong with the AR-M2.
If you're either in the NY area or SoCal area I would be happy to invite you to a blind tasting.

And, yes, I tend to listen to all DAPs with the original sound tuning.

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #940 of 2,161
  Hey @AR-Voice,

Was wondering from your experience which portable amp work best with the AR-M2?

Thanks!

Why do you think you need one? the M2 has a hugely powerful Class A amp that will drive almost any headphone

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #941 of 2,161
Hey Rob @robfol,

Thanks for your response.
Although the M2 can drive... I do feel that with some of my cans - like the HE400i and Alpha Dog - they reach the maximum volume without actually optimizing the punch that I'm looking for.
And I feel this would be even more challenging with the HD800 and HE6, which are not in my inventory but most certainly in my wish list...

Did I get something wrong?  Is there a higher gain function that I missed??

And if we're already in communication: First big compliments to the designers of the M2!  It is a very special device that makes me very happy.
But I was wondering if there are any plans to add a gapless option in the firmware, and even more important (to me) - an option for a free search across the entire library, in the same way we got used to with iTunes??

Thanks!

Mar 17, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #942 of 2,161
  But I was wondering if there are any plans to add a gapless option in the firmware, and even more important (to me) - an option for a free search across the entire library, in the same way we got used to with iTunes??

What version of the firmware are you using? It's my understanding that recent firmware revisions support gapless playback for many types of file formats. AR also mentioned in the past that upcoming firmware releases should cover all formats. (The next major revision is apparently planned for May).

EDIT: The latest firmware is version 2.5.6, the changelog for which specifically mentions gapless playback. Have fun! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back