Acoustic Research M2 Audiophile-Grade Hi-Res Portable
Oct 6, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #781 of 2,161

Here is what your customers need as soon as you get back from the show. ARTISTS brings up ALBUMS, not "songs". This is most critical, while it's true I bought the player for its sound quality, this flaw is so obvious and inexplicable that I can't believe the player was ever released this way and that it wasn't the first problem to get fixed. Sorry to come off so dogmatic, but there it is...

Best, Kevin

+1

Oct 7, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #782 of 2,161

Here is what your customers need as soon as you get back from the show. ARTISTS brings up ALBUMS, not "songs". This is most critical, while it's true I bought the player for its sound quality, this flaw is so obvious and inexplicable that I can't believe the player was ever released this way and that it wasn't the first problem to get fixed. Sorry to come off so dogmatic, but there it is...

Best, Kevin

Thanks Kevin, I'll pass this straight to the designer. we don't have unlimited software budgets so things get done bit by bit. I see what you mean and don't disagree, but it's not a deal breaker. You can always look under albums. Mind you I only have 300 albums on mine, do you have lots more?

Oct 7, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #783 of 2,161
what is it meant above for the updated M2 player? What has been changed?

Just the recent firmware updates, sorry to mislead

Oct 7, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #784 of 2,161
  Hello AR team,

I'm still searching for a portable music player and your M2 player is (among with AK300) on the top of my list. But the necessity of sideloading apps (TIDAL for me), strange music folding (read about it in this thread) and no Bluetooth are quite dealbrakers for me. Otherwise your player looks amazing. My question is, aren't you planning to update M2 to Android 5.1 with full Google store support? Or even better, don't you plan to make a brand new M3 with all things mentioned above? The M3 with the same output power as M2, Google store, Bluetooth and maybe a ballanced port would destroy a DAP world!

Hi Cherubian, You do not need to side load apps. Just install the Amazon Underground App Store and load Tidal, Qobuz etc to your hearts content. 

No OS updates currently planned, later Android versions add nothing useful to sound quality and control of our modified version of the the OS. Unfortunately we cannot do Bluetooth due to having a purely manual volume control. Think of the M2 like an early Porsche 911, stripped down, not unnecessary features just pure performance. The SQ is at least as good as the most expensive players you can buy and for under half the price. That what it's all about. Hope you get a chance to try one.

Oct 7, 2016 at 2:27 AM Post #785 of 2,161

Hi Cherubian, You do not need to side load apps. Just install the Amazon Underground App Store and load Tidal, Qobuz etc to your hearts content. 

No OS updates currently planned, later Android versions add nothing useful to sound quality and control of our modified version of the the OS. Unfortunately we cannot do Bluetooth due to having a purely manual volume control. Think of the M2 like an early Porsche 911, stripped down, not unnecessary features just pure performance. The SQ is at least as good as the most expensive players you can buy and for under half the price. That what it's all about. Hope you get a chance to try one.

Thanks for reply. I've never had an Andoid device so have no idea what Amazon Underground App is. Will check some "how to". Last question, can I download music from TIDAL into M2 (offline mode suport)?

Oct 7, 2016 at 3:47 AM Post #786 of 2,161
Hiya. Just check in M2 FAQ section for info on Amazon. Yes you can download tidal content to m2 or card

Oct 7, 2016 at 4:07 AM Post #787 of 2,161
Hiya. Just check in M2 FAQ section for info on Amazon. Yes you can download tidal content to m2 or card

Sorry for that, will check. Thanks

Oct 7, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #788 of 2,161
Thanks Kevin, I'll pass this straight to the designer. we don't have unlimited software budgets so things get done bit by bit. I see what you mean and don't disagree, but it's not a deal breaker. You can always look under albums. Mind you I only have 300 albums on mine, do you have lots more?

Sorry, it's the big deal breaker for me and I've dealed with it for the 18 months.

Oct 7, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #789 of 2,161

Actually, had I known it MIGHT have been a dealbreaker! Looking under albums is just not the same thing. I have NEVER seen anyone sort their Record or CD collection by SONG or ALBUM TITLE evar! Always by Artist in alphabetical order, why should a music player work any different? To me, this is so obvious it almost appears that the app designer never listened to music and had no idea how people would logically search for it. I have owned (too) many players over the years since I bought the first Ipod and they ALL have had this feature, even 4Gb SanDisk micros! Mind blowing.

On the other hand, credit where it is due. The M2 is a excellent sounding player that will play practically any reasonable format including HiRez. I love it's look, feel and finish. And big time kudos for allowing the OTG connector to be used for external storage. It's almost as mind blowing that even many uber-expensive HiRez players will not allow this. Considering the size of these files, one can blow through internal storage in no time. I have two 256 Gb and one 128 Gb thumb drives almost filled with music (yes, I have more than 300 albums available, LOL) and am far from done. Non-expandable storage is definitely a dealbreaker for me. That's why I have stuck with a iBasso DX50 that allows OTG external storage and has a coax digital out which allows an external DAC (such as the Chord MOJO) since it was released. In my view, the M2 doesn't suffer from the lack of coax output because the internal hardware is so good an external DAC would be pretty much superfluous and this was a big reason when I finally upgraded I bought the M2.

So it seems to me you guys got the hard parts right and stumbled on the easy, obvious stuff! But at the end of the day, I am very happy that AR took the commercial risk and decided to build the M2.

Best, Kevin

Oct 7, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #790 of 2,161
Are you guys saying when you look under artist view, you don't see albums associated with that artist, then go into the album for song list?

Has anyone used the AR accessory for low impedance iems, since the M2 has 10 ohm output impedance? I'm assuming it's a voltage splitter and gets output impedance down to maybe 2~3 ohms. Can AR confirm how low it can get the impedance down to?

Oct 7, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #793 of 2,161
Are you guys saying when you look under artist view, you don't see albums associated with that artist, then go into the album for song list?

'Fraid so Maynard, 'fraid so. :)

You go under Artists and get every individual song on all their albums you have in Alphabetic order.

As the late great Richie Ashburn would say, "hard to believe, Harry..."

Kevin

Oct 7, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #794 of 2,161

BTW, just to make things perfectly clear, When you select "Artists", a list of that Artists albums that you have loaded should come up. When you then select a particular album, the songs should come up in ALBUM (not alphabetical) order.

Just in case...

Kevin

Oct 7, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #795 of 2,161
Which headphones gives great synergy with m2 dap ? Thanks
which headphones have great synergy with your ears, that is the better question...

The M2 is pretty non fussy :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back