Acoustic Research M2 Audiophile-Grade Hi-Res Portable
Jul 14, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #647 of 2,161
NEW FIRMWARE COMING SOON FOR AR-M2 - Probably early August

Confirmed fixes:
  1. Gapless playback is now available for WAV and AIFF
  2. Fixed scanning of 384kHz files in media scanner
  3. Fixed muting sequence that causes an short instance of output volume drop at the beginning of music playback

Notes to additional feature:
  1. New option for disabling bit-accurate playback
    The option is designed for testing purpose only.  With bit-accurate playback disabled, high precision downsampling filter will be enabled for Hi-Res music playback.  For optimal music playback quality, Bit-accurate option should be always switched on.

Jul 14, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #648 of 2,161
  When will you guy fix the Back button and Artist/Folder browser? I'd asked for them more than a year ago.

Hello., there is a big GUI overhaul due at the end of this year, maybe before.
Lots of other things have been fixed in the meantime.
Understand about Artist/Folder browser, what is your problem with Back Button?
Thanks for feedback - Cheers Robert

Jul 15, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #650 of 2,161
Understand about Artist/Folder browser, what is your problem with Back Button?
Thanks

Back button should bring you back to the beginning of the current track not the previous. And your own manual said so. And I've said many times in this thread,no response at all.

I think I'm running out of my patience with this dap.

Jul 15, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #651 of 2,161
So. Here's a loaded question! Has anyone dispassionately compared the M2 to a level matched iPhone? Is the difference really significant?
I have to say that my 6S sounds astonishingly good to me. Any dedicated DAP would really have to go some to earn its keep..,

Jul 15, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #652 of 2,161
So. Here's a loaded question! Has anyone dispassionately compared the M2 to a level matched iPhone? Is the difference really significant?
I have to say that my 6S sounds astonishingly good to me. Any dedicated DAP would really have to go some to earn its keep..,

I don't mind the 6S audio that much.. problem though (if you are comparing pure DAP vs pure iPhone) is the small amount of hum/static when using the touch screen or using different apps.. this is due to the circuitry not being as separated as an audio focused device.. so different interactions can affect the audio negatively. I audibly notice distortion and hums while listening to music on my iphone and browsing the web etc. There are many other issues including not being able to natively play DSD, not having enough power to fuel some of the more power hungry cans/iems.. etc etc Overall though the apple phone is good I think

Jul 15, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #653 of 2,161
I don't mind the 6S audio that much.. problem though (if you are comparing pure DAP vs pure iPhone) is the small amount of hum/static when using the touch screen or using different apps.. this is due to the circuitry not being as separated as an audio focused device.. so different interactions can affect the audio negatively. I audibly notice distortion and hums while listening to music on my iphone and browsing the web etc. There are many other issues including not being able to natively play DSD, not having enough power to fuel some of the more power hungry cans/iems.. etc etc Overall though the apple phone is good I think

I must just be lucky. I've not had problems with my 6S except when using an external amp/DAC.
I use Tidal HiFi. I don't feel the need for DSD.

Jul 15, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #654 of 2,161
For some reason I am extremely sensitive to distortion or hissing from electronics. I almost try to find any negative sounds with the devices I use, because otherwise I don't have the peace of mind.

Jul 17, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #655 of 2,161
Back button should bring you back to the beginning of the current track not the previous. And your own manual said so. And I've said many times in this thread,no response at all.

I think I'm running out of my patience with this dap.

Thanks for info, I have passed it directly to the main engineering team. 

Aug 1, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #657 of 2,161
  Hi! Which DAP should I get for the mobile use of the Beyerdynamic T1 gen 2s? The Acoustic Research AR-M2 or the AR-M20?

What are the main advantages of the AR-M2 over the AR-M20?

Thanks!

As I said in M20 thread, get the M2 - enjoy

Aug 1, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #658 of 2,161
READ THIS

If you want a player that sounds terrific -- incredibly terrific -- you want to hear the AR-M2. It has some warts, but if you can put up with them, the AR-M2 offers spectacular sound at a surprisingly low price of $1199 USD.

"But the AR-M2’s sound instantly dropped my jaw. The transparency and solid placement of sounds on the soundstage alone boggled my ears, but what I found totally astounding was the way the AR handled high frequencies. Listening to Mahler’s Symphony No.6, with the Duisberg Symphony conducted by Jonathan Darlington (24-bit/96kHz AIFF, Linn/Acousence Classics), I thought the sound extremely warm yet transparent, though at first the highs seemed odd. Then came that first shimmering cymbal crash, and it was like the sun rising. The highs were there, and they were sweet, secure, and scintillating -- but they weren’t there unless they were in the recording. Nothing was added and nothing taken away. Totally natural. The Duisberg Symphony had impressive weight when playing tutti, with perfect balance from top to bottom, and enough transparency that, in the opening, I could clearly pick out the snare drum from the buzzing strings."

http://www.soundstagexperience.com/index.php/features-menu/music-everywhere-menu/736-music-everywhere-acoustic-research-ar-m2-portable-music-player

Aug 1, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #659 of 2,161
Put this in AR-M20 thread too: 

Which one would you recommend for Ultrasone Signature Pro, the AR-m20 or AR-m2?  I might also use the following iems: Earsonics Velvet and Heir Audio 4.  I hear the AR-m2 doesn't play well with iems.  If the m20 can handle the Ultrasone Signature Pro, then I would go with that, if not then I will get the m2 and hope it works with my iems for the flexibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back