Acoustic Research M2 Audiophile-Grade Hi-Res Portable
Sep 30, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #301 of 2,161
Limited volume range and high hiss make me think you had a faulty player, or very poorly and quietly recorded source material

Sep 30, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #302 of 2,161
  Hi Loquah sorry for my english is not my native lenguage , i have been using the AR M2 with etys er4pt and sound amazing but always hear that noise u talk about  at first i think was my device but it seem to be a common issue with this DAP , hope my opinion can help u , regards.

It looks like I may have to either sell my Heir 8 or this dap as the noise is very present!

Thanks both for your input. This proves that it is a production "issue" and I say "issue" because they might just be targetting headphone users. Personally I don't get why so many portable devices aren't compatible with the most portable high quality sounding option you can get - IEMs / CIEMs, but there must be those who are more interested in a portable that can drive full sized headphones I guess.

Limited volume range and high hiss make me think you had a faulty player, or very poorly and quietly recorded source material

I might have been unclear. The limited volume range is that the level is too high so I can only just turn the volume above zero with IEMs.  As for the noise, it's not a hiss, but rather a fast ticking sound a bit like the noise you get from a poor PC audio socket / USB circuit (not exactly the same, but similar)

Oct 1, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #303 of 2,161
This is a quick review of the Arm 2 with my Heir 8 with my friend who has Shure se 846.Apart from the ticking noise we both heard through our iems the the drive and detail and stereo separation is very good,the Arm 2 really brings out the best in well recorded music with a nice textured bass and great separation,guitar tones sound especially life like with the 8s listening to some electric blues,my friend was very impressed.Lets hope acoustic research can address this problem with ba armature iems then this dap with its functions would be a great buy

Oct 1, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #304 of 2,161
There is a new Acoustic Research Website - acoustic-research.co.uk. It's pretty basic though it does have some FAQ''s which may be of interest. It also offers you the option of signing up to their newsletter, so hopefully when the promised firmware updates finally arrive we'll all be notified about them.

Oct 2, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #305 of 2,161
Yes... they need to fix that folder browser....

Btw, do you guys have any plan to release an M3 with two microSD card slots? 
Onkyo's new DAP will feature two microSD and it's priced the same or cheaper.
I hope to see a 256GB flash internal storage and two microSD card slots to make sure that this one's much better than AK240.

Oct 4, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #307 of 2,161
Hi all!
Have any of you had experience using the M2 with the Chord Hugo and Shure SE846 iems?
You cannot use Hugo and M2 together, or do you mean how is the M2 versus the Hugo?

I have all three items, so in a good position to assist, but need clarity first.

Oct 4, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #308 of 2,161
You cannot use Hugo and M2 together, or do you mean how is the M2 versus the Hugo?

I have all three items, so in a good position to assist, but need clarity first.

Thanks.  I meant use the M2 through the Hugo.  I am currently using the iPhone 6 through the Hugo but want to get a good DAP to give me better sound quality when I don't have the Hugo with me but also for even better sound when played through the Hugo.  I thought, with all its input options, you could player just about any DAP through the Hugo.  But if I'm wrong it's as well to know before I decide on what DAP to buy.

Oct 5, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #312 of 2,161
M2 has no digital output so with Hugo you can only use it as an amp.

The M2 is supposed to be so you don't have to carry around the Hugo, but you'd only be able to use it as a headphone amplifier if you so wished to.

Thanks for the clarification.  Might still get the M2.  Had a demo comparing it to the Ak240 from my iPhone before I got the Hugo and preferred it.

Oct 5, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #313 of 2,161
Sorry if I'm being thick, but how on earth can you use a Hugo as an amp??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back