Acoustic Research M2 Audiophile-Grade Hi-Res Portable
Nov 5, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #331 of 2,161
I still have some residual interest in this thread as the M2 was the first DAP I liked the sound of when demoing but disappointing that there is still no progress with the firmware update. Afraid I gave up on the M2 and took the plunge with the A&K AK380. Yes, three times the price but a properly developed product and with a growing list of peripherals. I'm happy with it. Wake up, AR, this was a half-hearted entry into the market.

They are working on it and have continued to work on the firmware to suit every ones needs and demands. It wasn't a half-hearted entry into the market at all, the same could have been said about the iBasso DX100 or Fiio's attempts not to mention the faults the A&K380 still has. Without derailing the thread I'll leave it there. I will not be replying to any response made of the back of this but I will keep you all posted on any info I hear from Rob and the team. 

If anyone has any questions please feel free to post them, also looking forward to the next firmware update as I'm anticipating something good. Also has anyone here own the HD700 or and good over ear headphones as I'd like to invest in a good pair as that was the intended purpose of the product. I must admit still love this thing with my R2Pro's and Dunu 2000's.

Nov 6, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #332 of 2,161
  They are working on it and have continued to work on the firmware to suit every ones needs and demands. It wasn't a half-hearted entry into the market at all, the same could have been said about the iBasso DX100 or Fiio's attempts not to mention the faults the A&K380 still has. Without derailing the thread I'll leave it there. I will not be replying to any response made of the back of this but I will keep you all posted on any info I hear from Rob and the team. 

If anyone has any questions please feel free to post them, also looking forward to the next firmware update as I'm anticipating something good. Also has anyone here own the HD700 or and good over ear headphones as I'd like to invest in a good pair as that was the intended purpose of the product. I must admit still love this thing with my R2Pro's and Dunu 2000's.

When I had the M2 for review, the same distributor provided me with the AudioQuest Nighthawks. Personally, I think the combination sounded exceptional, but that comes with the caveat that I rate the Nighthawks as the best headphone I've heard to date in terms of lifelike presentation without attempting to emphasise certain frequencies. The Nighthawks are a contentious headphone for some people because they don't follow the rest of the pack with the ever-increasing emphasis on (perceived) resolution so they can sound warm / too smooth at first, but they are exceptional if you're looking for a sound experience that's very close to live sound or the sound you get from a good speaker setup.

Nov 8, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #333 of 2,161

When I had the M2 for review, the same distributor provided me with the AudioQuest Nighthawks. Personally, I think the combination sounded exceptional, but that comes with the caveat that I rate the Nighthawks as the best headphone I've heard to date in terms of lifelike presentation without attempting to emphasise certain frequencies. The Nighthawks are a contentious headphone for some people because they don't follow the rest of the pack with the ever-increasing emphasis on (perceived) resolution so they can sound warm / too smooth at first, but they are exceptional if you're looking for a sound experience that's very close to live sound or the sound you get from a good speaker setup.

Thanks bud that's good to hear. I can get my hands on them, hopefully, so the recommendation will be taking into consideration as I only spent a limited time with the prototype in Cambridge but they did hold there own unique characteristics ad considering the weight they were remarkably comfortable. Maybe time to try them again :). Glad the M2 drives them well!

Nov 10, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #334 of 2,161
I just got this player while on a trip to Tokyo. It sounds much better than my Fiio X5 (first gen). I'm using it with Sony XBA-Z5 ear buds. The Fiio lacks sufficient amp power to provide really tight strong bass. When I team the X5 with an external amp, it sounds much better. However, I was looking for an all in one solution and one with perhaps better D to A conversion. The M2 seems to have provided both much more amp power and really high sound quality.

As suggested by others in this thread, I am annoyed by the UI. I would really like to be able to scroll through a list of artists and when I select an artist, I would like to see a list of albums by that artist. From there I would like the option to play the whole album (in the right order) or to select an individual track. I hope that AR will provide an update with this capability as soon as possible. With that, I think this will be a wonderful device.

It would also be nice to get gapless playback, but that is a secondary concern for me.

Nov 22, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #335 of 2,161
So, can you understand the problem?
When you put that 200GB microSD to M2, M2's poor folder browser will show a list of the entire folders in that 200GB microSD card in one screen at a time.
This is not good at all.
There should be standard windows explorer type folder browser which shows primary folders that contain other folders, and then folders within folders, etc.

I really hope you guys understand what I'm talking about. Otherwise, that microSD slot is useless for cards above 128GB.

QUESTION? can you not use the Albums or Artists tabs to easily access your content? Thanks Cheers Robert

Nov 23, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #336 of 2,161

QUESTION? can you not use the Albums or Artists tabs to easily access your content? Thanks Cheers Robert

You can indeed use the Albums tab to review the contents of your memory card. However, this simply presents a list of every album on the card in alphabetical order. I rarely want to look for my music this way. Rather, I like to select an artist and then get a list of albums by that artist from which to choose. That is where the problem lies. When you select the Artists tab on the M2 you get the expected alphabetical list of artists (which is fine). However, when you select an artist, you DO NOT get an alphabetical listing of the albums by that artist. Instead, you get an alphabetical list of every song by that artist. This is great if you want to find just one song. This is useless if you want to play an album.​ At least this alpha listing by song also indicates the album from which each song comes.

Since I rarely remember the exact title of my albums, I have taken to doing the following. Select the Artists tab. Scroll through the list of artists to find the one I'd like to hear. Select the artist and see the list of songs. Look at the titles of the albums from which the songs come. Decide which album I want to hear. Switch to the Albums tab and search for the selected album. It is only a few extra steps over the way it should work, but it is annoying.

On the other hand, the sound of the M2 is sufficiently intoxicating that I am willing to accept this annoyance. Nonetheless, I will be much happier once AR provides a more reasonable ability to search for albums by artist. I will also be much happier when gapless playback is available. I have found several albums that need this. I was actually surprised that I had so many such albums.

Cheers

Nov 23, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #337 of 2,161

You can indeed use the Albums tab to review the contents of your memory card. However, this simply presents a list of every album on the card in alphabetical order. I rarely want to look for my music this way. Rather, I like to select an artist and then get a list of albums by that artist from which to choose. That is where the problem lies. When you select the Artists tab on the M2 you get the expected alphabetical list of artists (which is fine). However, when you select an artist, you DO NOT get an alphabetical listing of the albums by that artist. Instead, you get an alphabetical list of every song by that artist. This is great if you want to find just one song. This is useless if you want to play an album.​ At least this alpha listing by song also indicates the album from which each song comes.

Since I rarely remember the exact title of my albums, I have taken to doing the following. Select the Artists tab. Scroll through the list of artists to find the one I'd like to hear. Select the artist and see the list of songs. Look at the titles of the albums from which the songs come. Decide which album I want to hear. Switch to the Albums tab and search for the selected album. It is only a few extra steps over the way it should work, but it is annoying.

On the other hand, the sound of the M2 is sufficiently intoxicating that I am willing to accept this annoyance. Nonetheless, I will be much happier once AR provides a more reasonable ability to search for albums by artist. I will also be much happier when gapless playback is available. I have found several albums that need this. I was actually surprised that I had so many such albums.

Cheers

Thanks for such a good explanation and glad you like the sound (-:. I have passed your message to our UI designers who are looking at a file system upgrade, no timescale yet!

Pleased to say that full gapless playback is in the works. 

Cheers Robert

Nov 23, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #338 of 2,161
Anyone check out this review yet mirrors my own impressions quite well! 

http://passionforsound.lachlanfennen.com/acoustic-research-ar-m2/

Glad someone had the chance to give a bit on the power of this beast, one thing I'd like to update my review with. 

"I’ve already alluded to the quality of the M2’s amp and there’s no denying it is outstanding. It comfortably powered my HD800s, LCD-2s, and every other headphone in my collection. This is clearly an amp designed to power the best headphones money can buy and would likely manage with all but the most challenging loads (like Abyss headphones perhaps)."

Dec 2, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #339 of 2,161
dnun8086,

I am curious about the AR-M2. It seems intriguing. I am always looking for a DAP that will do justice to full size headphone, and I have many as well as earphones. I have the earphones covered with AK120II, Cowon P1, Cayin N6, HM901s and L&P L5 Pro. Some will drive full size cans but not to the level I would like and still maintain the SQ. HM901s with gold amp card is good. So, the question I have, (you being the most familiar with the AR-M2) is this:
Is this a player that can really drive the full size cans and maintain a reference level SQ?
Will the UI issues "truly" get resolved and relatively soon I hope?
I am ready to push the green light on this player mainly due to the wide variety of high end headphone I have and truly enjoy on my
Auralic Taurus/Vega combo. But I want something portable (not for walking about but for home in bed or on the couch, etc.) Is this the player you would recommend as a buy at this time based on a few of the issues mentioned above?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions/recommendations you can offer. Is there something better? Lotto Paw Gold or Is the AR-M2 the way to go. Is it good enough at this stage in the player's evolution to buy one based on new UI fixes coming?

Dec 2, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #340 of 2,161
  dnun8086,

I am curious about the AR-M2. It seems intriguing. I am always looking for a DAP that will do justice to full size headphone, and I have many as well as earphones. I have the earphones covered with AK120II, Cowon P1, Cayin N6, HM901s and L&P L5 Pro. Some will drive full size cans but not to the level I would like and still maintain the SQ. HM901s with gold amp card is good. So, the question I have, (you being the most familiar with the AR-M2) is this:
Is this a player that can really drive the full size cans and maintain a reference level SQ?
Will the UI issues "truly" get resolved and relatively soon I hope?
I am ready to push the green light on this player mainly due to the wide variety of high end headphone I have and truly enjoy on my
Auralic Taurus/Vega combo. But I want something portable (not for walking about but for home in bed or on the couch, etc.) Is this the player you would recommend as a buy at this time based on a few of the issues mentioned above?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions/recommendations you can offer. Is there something better? Lotto Paw Gold or Is the AR-M2 the way to go. Is it good enough at this stage in the player's evolution to buy one based on new UI fixes coming?

Hi zman123. I'll be happy to answer you questions as best I can. 

Is it a player that can drive full size headphones and maintain a reference SQ?  In short yes it truly will! Although this player can sound extremely great with in ear monitors it was first and fore most designed with full size cans in mind, to drive them with authority, accuracy and depth. Which in my opinion it does extremely well. I'm sure a few of the guys could also give testament to this. 
The UI issues are being addressed as we speak and I can assure you the team are working on it so we should have an update very soon.
I personally wouldn't recommend another player for the needs you've specified purely due to each player having it's own shortcomings including the AR-M2 the AR-M2's issues though are being amended. The Lotto Paw Gold would be another great choice but it depends on your sonic preferences? Maybe you could tell me a little about the sound you're after? 
If it would make life a little easier I personally am one for getting a hands on feel for something before I purchase, can I ask where you plan on buying your unit from? 

I can private message you with a more in depth comparison if you'd like any more information on the player. Also may I ask which over ears you are planning on stacking the AR-M2 up with? 

Dec 2, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #341 of 2,161
Hi dnun8086!

Thank you for your reply..........very much appreciated.
My musical interests vary from classical to blues to pop to rock. As far as my preferred SQ sound signature, I really like clarity and fine detail. I like up front accurate sounding than dark and veiled. I like a good all around sound stage and musical details and separation to be experienced.

The headphones (full size I have) are the following:
Sennheiser : HD600, HD650, HD700, HD800
Audeze: LCD2, LCD-X, LCD-XC, LCD-3.......all with Fazor technology
Beyerdynamic: T1, T90, Dt880, DT990
HIFIMAN HE-500
Enigmacoustics Dharma 1000
AKG: K550, K553, K612, Q701, Kxx, K812
Fostex TH-xxx (Massdrop Wooden earcups) similar to the TH-600 but better overall.

So, I have a pretty good collection. I live in Canada and I plan on buying from Voxx Consumer Electronics in Hong Kong (best price).
I am planning on purchasing today or tommorrow depending on what you can tell me. I trust you whole heartedly. Unfortunately, I have nowhere to hear them live, so I need an honest opinion.

As far as all my IEM's, I'm covered with DAPS. I need something to drive the big boys with authority and still maintain sonic clarity and character. I do not like really laid back sound too much. So, based on this, what can you tell me? Thanks my friend!

Dec 2, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #342 of 2,161
Hi dnun8086

Do you possibly know where I can potentially get the AR-M2 in the UK for $799 GBP, that converts to just under $1600 CDN dollars.
That is the price I am getting out of Hong Kong. If I can get them anywhere around that price in the UK, I would rather go that route but all the sites I checked are at $899 GBP or $1800 CDN.

Dec 2, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #343 of 2,161
  Hi dnun8086

Do you possibly know where I can potentially get the AR-M2 in the UK for $799 GBP, that converts to just under $1600 CDN dollars.
That is the price I am getting out of Hong Kong. If I can get them anywhere around that price in the UK, I would rather go that route but all the sites I checked are at $899 GBP or $1800 CDN.

Hi zman 123.

Sorry I am actually in bed right now but couldn't leave you in the dark. I apologise for keeping this short and sweet but it's 2am here in the U.K and I have work in the morning lol. 

The sound signature you described matches the AR-M2 down to a tea I mean just read my review I stand by those impressions. Another Head fi member I was speaking to who has also tried out a wide array of DAP's still believes this to be one of the best sounding players he has ever heard. I have no issues recommending this player especially with what you've got in mind. 

Pricing can't get it any cheaper than that! Thats a good deal and I recommend you snatch it up. But if there are any issues please feel free to get in touch with Rob or myself and we can try and amend it.

Keep me posted and if you decide to purchase post some impressions I'm sure you'll love this thing to death! Make sure to load it with some quality files. Oh here's a link for anyone including you zman123 for a brilliant cheapish memory card that plays very nice with the AR-M2 http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/memory-storage-accessories/MB-MC128DA/AM

Hope this helps and if you have any more queries I'll try get back to you first thing in the morning. 

Dec 3, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #345 of 2,161
  dnun8086

Thank you very much my friend. I appreciate all your feedback. I will order it right now. Have a good night and we will talk. all the best!

I don't have any really tough cans, but I do have a set of AT woodies and the Sony 7520. The M2 drives these and requires only 15% of the volume control range. It is definitely a power house DAP. I find the sound intoxicating. It is very detailed but not harsh. I am very happy with the sound. I am hopeful that the revised UI will answer the current annoyances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back