Acoustic Research M2 Audiophile-Grade Hi-Res Portable
Aug 8, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #211 of 2,161
Its SQ is in the same leauge with M, P1 and also 240 (I have no idea about R10) but it's current firmware is a mess.
All tracks in Artist Directory are ordered by alphabet only - all albums, all songs. It passes the track no.s and album name.

Aug 8, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #212 of 2,161

The hifheadphones review of the Acoustic Research AR-M2 Hi-Res Player

Acoustic Research M2 - Review - Android on Steroids

Acoustic Research is one of those old names which has been connected with the world of hi-fi for some 63 years now, although it has changed hands a few times since. Responsible for quite a few innovations over the years, can this brand offer anything new to music fans in 2015? Fully equipped with Wi-Fi capability, the AR-M2 can work with streaming services such as Spotify; so now we're not limited to the tracks we have stored on our players.

Design and appearance

The M2 is a relatively large and weighty player, with the front side almost completely composed of glass; a fair amount of which is the touchscreen (62mm x 110mm to be exact). The back of the player is bevelled and it settles in the hand well. Its angular form and dark glass screen is reminiscent of a 1980s coffee table, but only a little one.

Key Features

Given the M2 is an android-based player, there's a fair amount of customisation possible - there's no bloatware or anything to get in the way, but users can always add items they wish to use. Spotify was installed without a problem, for instance.

Other than the touchscreen, there are 4 buttons on the side for track control and power on/off and a volume wheel on the top. Outputs are limited to headphones and line-level output. There's a little sliding door for micro SD cards if the internal 64Gb isn't enough for your music collection, and of course a slot at the bottom for connecting to a computer via USB.

The player can be 'locked' for when it's playing whilst in a pocket or bag; however the buttons on the side still function so there may be some issues there. The volume control wheel on the top is still sensitive when the M2 is locked so again, care is needed.

The player was taken outside on one of the brightest days we have in the UK (we do get bright days) and with the settings adjusted for maximum screen brightness, the screen was clearly legible. The only problem is the fingerprints on the vast expanse of screen which are also clear to see.

The Dac within, a Burr-Brown PCM1794A offers up to 24-bit/192kHz playback and supported formats include DSD, WAV, AIFF, FLAC and ALAC.

Being Android-based, streaming services such as Spotify can be installed on the AR-M2 for use over local wifi networks, making this player more useful still.

Durability & build quality

As alluded to above, the M2 is solidly built and gives the impression of something which will last for a good few years. The back does have a hollow ring to it when tapped with a fingernail, but it doesn't feel hollow or flex with pressure.

The M2 will be fine in a trouser pocket, but tight trousers might not react too well. Bend over and you might gore yourself - the design is strong and unyielding! The M2 comes with a velvety pouch for protection - ostensibly for the player itself, but it might help avoid the odd nick or scratch elsewhere too.

The buttons on the side of the unit for play controls can be operated even when the unit has gone into standby/hold mode, so fishing the AR-M2 out of a pocket may cause an unintended change of track. Also, the volume control can be operated while in this state. Although it's firm, it's loose enough to be operated by material brushing against it in the tight confines of a pocket or bag.

Sound Quality

There's no question about the power available within the AR-M2; with a HiFiMAN HE-6 attached, volume gets up to a respectable level - even a little too loud for sustained listening, depending on the genre. Likewise with the Audeze LCD-3.

With IEMs such as the Dita Answer (Truth Edition), the AR-M2 is in its element with well controlled bass, excellent space and detail in the midrange, and a rich airiness which brings the best out of both the music and the earphones.

Within the supplied AR player app, EQ settings are possible with many genre-based presets but there's a limit to the control possible with the rudimentary 5 band on there. This can always change with future updates, however the unadulterated sound of the AR-M2 is perfect.

Pros:

Fast, responsive touchscreen
Large internal memory
Can run apps such as Spotify

Cons:

Side buttons can be pressed while unit is on 'hold'
Volume control can be accidentally operated

Summary

The Acoustic Research M2 (or AR-M2) is a fantastic sounding player which is well worthy of a position at its price point. Holding it gives the impression that it's a serious bit of kit, despite all the fun it gives. It has enough power to drive all commonly used headphones well; even 600 ohm cans with sensitivity below 90dB. The large internal memory and the adaptability offered by the Android-based operating system make this a very nice pocketful, although a large one. It's definitely one for a jacket pocket or bag.

It does neglect to mention it also supports DXD (352.8kHz) and 384KHz. I've noticed another audio think neglect those frequencies too - it's like some reviewers have never heard of sample rates that high or something..

DXD for me is fairly important for future compatability for my own stuff - am moving to that for my own home studio and there are a few labels recording in it rather than DSD as it can be fully edited whilst DSD can't (then they move it over to DSD as just a different format for compatability reasons).

Aug 8, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #213 of 2,161
  Its SQ is in the same leauge with M, P1 and also 240 (I have no idea about R10) but it's current firmware is a mess.
All tracks in Artist Directory are ordered by alphabet only - all albums, all songs. It passes the track no.s and album name.

I'm only just joining this thread so don't know if you personally have one or have auditioned one yet..

But is that really the consensus of those who have compared the AR M2 to the A&K 240?  AR M2 is on my short list (very short) so those kind of comparisons are very welcome.

You should call it software rather than firmware. Firmware is normally chip-level programming and often hard to update in something like this. However software updates can be pushed over wifi so very easily so can be updated and improved.

Aug 8, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #215 of 2,161

But is that really the consensus of those who have compared the AR M2 to the A&K 240?  AR M2 is on my short list (very short) so those kind of comparisons are very welcome.

You should call it software rather than firmware. Firmware is normally chip-level programming and often hard to update in something like this. However software updates can be pushed over wifi so very easily so can be updated and improved.

Hello, LuckyNat -

It's on my list, too. Unfortunately, it doesn't offer gapless playback, which for me is crucial.

Thanks for the reminder about the difference between firmware and software.

~Brian

Aug 8, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #216 of 2,161
Without wanting to sound ignorant (but I will....) what is gapless playback anyway?

Does it mean between songs the next is part loaded into memory or does it mean there's a cross-fade between each track?

I'm not sure I care whether there's a gap and infact it would make listening to an album exactly like it should sound (vinyl has gaps, CD has gaps etc). A definate pause between tracks is a good thing isn't it?

EDIT - ok, I get it. Means that live albums will have gaps between tracks. I guess the answer to that is to make them all one track and make indexes instead (if DAPS can show indexes like you get on CDs?)

Aug 8, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #217 of 2,161
If it doesn't have a proper folder navigator now, will AR make an update in the future? 
I hope they do. Without a proper folder navigator, you can't really organize tons of folders and albums in different genres...

Aug 8, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #218 of 2,161
Just regonize... this is my first post since I'd been here in 2008 lol. And sorry for my english.
I call it firmware cos I've been in a mess right after updated to the 2.2.1 yesterday. Before this sh**t the artist directory had no sub directory - Album, all of the songs of that artist were shown in one directory... in albums ordered and tracks ordered so you couldn't repeat a single album from the artist directory if you want that you should use album directory instead, meh? And with the lastest firmware... it's even worse.

It has a folder navigation or something like that (anywhere else than the artist directory, the song are ordered in the way it should be) but it's not my thing. I always use only ARTIST since I got my fist iPod Gen3 12 years ago.

Aug 8, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #219 of 2,161
  Just regonize... this is my first post since I'd been here in 2008 lol. And sorry for my english.
I call it firmware cos I've been in a mess right after updated to the 2.2.1 yesterday. Before this sh**t the artist directory had no sub directory - Album, all of the songs of that artist were shown in one directory... in albums ordered and tracks ordered so you couldn't repeat a single album from the artist directory if you want that you should use album directory instead, meh? And with the lastest firmware... it's even worse.

It has a folder navigation or something like that (anywhere else than the artist directory, the song are ordered in the way it should be) but it's not my thing. I always use only ARTIST since I got my fist iPod Gen3 12 years ago.

That's exactly the same problem Calyx M has... 
There's no Windows Explorer style folder navigator in Calyx M and AR M2. I can guess the developers behind the two DAPs don't listen to much music so they thought people won't need to organize...
iPod has no folder navigator either but RockBox could solve that problem.

Aug 9, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #220 of 2,161
The difference with Ipods is that they generally load from play programs with dedicated library organizers which takes care of the problem. 2nd party player apps can use music that's dragged in but those can also have folder view. That situation on the AR would be a deal breaker for me. I have way too many files without tags that would need to be done manually. Same with the Calyx. I've heard it but didn't know it had that issue.

Are you guys certain that if the folders are arranged correctly that it won't follow the tree? I've sometimes found that folks will expect a device to create folders from tags when the correct folder structure of artist/album/song isn't already there. It won't and play ayy the 1st cuts from an artist followed by all the second cuts. This would be more of a user issue than a fault. Just a note and not an accusation.

folder---folder---files
artist---album---song
   l                     l
   l                 -song
   l  
   l  
   l   ---album---song
                         l
                      song

Aug 9, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #221 of 2,161

It does neglect to mention it also supports DXD (352.8kHz) and 384KHz. I've noticed another audio think neglect those frequencies too - it's like some reviewers have never heard of sample rates that high or something..

DXD for me is fairly important for future compatability for my own stuff - am moving to that for my own home studio and there are a few labels recording in it rather than DSD as it can be fully edited whilst DSD can't (then they move it over to DSD as just a different format for compatability reasons).

DXD is a fancy name for high bit rate PCM. 

Aug 9, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #222 of 2,161
  DXD is a fancy name for high bit rate PCM. 

Yep, 352.8KHz (i.e. 8 x 44.1kHz). It was coined DXD back in about 2004 because it's main purpose was to provide a PCM data rate which could easily be turned into DSD and vice-versa. You have to do this because the 1-bit DSD format can't be edited other than basic fade in and outs.

Funny isn't it how a studio standard takes over 10 years to not even reach the mainstream yet.. It's only just making it's way into consumer products right now.

Aug 9, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #224 of 2,161
  It's just the industry not wanting to tell folks that almost all DSD is PCM based. 

Nah - it is completely impossible to edit DSD so the only way you can get pure DSD is a straight, unedited live take or you splice in edits which are in PCM such as some crossfades but leave the rest as DSD. Or, you record in a very high rate PCM and convert to DSD.

It has been this way since the birth of DSD and no-one has tried to hide it.

DSD was available in top studios from about 1995 and as a consumer format on SACD discs since 1999. If people still don't know enough about it 20 years later, that's their own fault!

Aug 9, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #225 of 2,161
My point exactly. It was PCM and still is PCM but they feel the need to call it something else to disassociate. It's a marketing thing. We have here on this board, folks talking about the goodness of DXD over PCM. My post was to take it out of the realm of whose fault it is to know and give some info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back