Acoustic Research M2 Audiophile-Grade Hi-Res Portable
Aug 10, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #226 of 2,161
  My point exactly. It was PCM and still is PCM but they feel the need to call it something else to disassociate. It's a marketing thing. We have here on this board, folks talking about the goodness of DXD over PCM. My post was to take it out of the realm of whose fault it is to know and give some info.

Hmm.... not really! Not consumer marketing anyway.

It was never intended as a format for consumer use when it was coined. It was intended for studio use. Any marketing there was aimed at studio engineers but that's all.

It is singled out and given it's own name because, to convert well to DSD you need it to be a multiple of 44.1Khz - most of the other multiples of 44.1khz are ignored (88.1, 176.2) and instead people have favoured multiples of 48khz: 96, 192, 384. And it must be specifically 24 bit.

Giving 24bit/352.4khz the specific name DXD shows that it is the specific one used for seamless conversion to DSD. It then allows the manufacturer of studio equipment to have a one-glance indication of whether the hardware provides this specific PCM rate for DSD conversion. That one glance indication is simply the DXD logo and, yes, Merging Technologies used the logo to show the world they were the only people providing the equipment to do this for a little while. If that's the marketing you're against then fair enough..

As I say, the only marketing intended with the creation of the DXD symbol and term is purely for the studio engineers back in 2003 or so (who are less swayed by this sort of thing anyway). Any cynicism aimed at that symbol today is completely mis-placed and is trying to re-write history.

Sadly I see bloggers, professional audiophile cynics, quite openly state that they were ignorant of the format until very recently and feel agreaved that some mis-placed perception of marketing tricks was what fooled them. Really though it was just their ignorance because they're not interested in the studio side of things (excusable ignorance because it's pretty geeky to know).

If anyone is mis-representing DXD now though, that is entirely the fault of dealers and sellers and not Merging Technologies fault.

Aug 10, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #227 of 2,161

EDIT - ok, I get it. Means that live albums will have gaps between tracks. I guess the answer to that is to make them all one track and make indexes instead (if DAPS can show indexes like you get on CDs?)

Hi, LuckyNat -

Unfortunately, the problem isn't limited to live recordings. Many classical works are divided into different sections that are nonetheless intended to be heard as a single, continuous stream of music. Imagine trying to hear Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring" with a player that pauses every other moment. Forget it! Of course, it's an issue with some "popular" music, too. Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" has only one break, yet it's comprised of several tracks.

Yes, there are ways to compensate for these kinds of problems, but they can be a hassle. Also keep in mind that--as far as I know--it's never been an issue with CDs. I think it's silly that modern DAPs are often functionally inferior to a spec from nearly 35 years ago.

Kind regards,
Brian

Aug 10, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #228 of 2,161
Originally Posted by bcarr112281 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also keep in mind that--as far as I know--it's never been an issue with CDs. I think it's silly that modern DAPs are often functionally inferior to a spec from nearly 35 years ago.

Kind regards,
Brian

True - the gap between tracks can be set in the mastering stage, including zero.

I guess it's all to do with file handling of the OS and being able to load one into memory somewhere, whilst the first is still being read. I wonder if the difference between DAPs which can and which can't are down to their data storage handling chips or is just a software, programming effort.

Aug 11, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #231 of 2,161
  Available at Amazon UK (£899, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acoustic-Research-AR-M2-Hi-Res-Player/dp/B00W1UX12Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439297085&sr=8-1&keywords=ar-m2)

That's a third party seller not amazon (not even amazon fulfilled).

Aug 11, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #232 of 2,161
I asked Acoustic Research guys about the firmware and folder browser update.
They told me they don't have an idea since this DAP was exclusively manufactured for sale in China. They don't have any information...
So, did a Chinese company make this and handed in to AR for distribution in Western region?

Aug 11, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #234 of 2,161
Hi sorry for the late reply basicly regarding the AR M2, you can actually purchase through Custom Cables their website will give you an estimate of shipping costs (Even to the U.S) you're also covered for warrenty as well here's the link: http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/acoustic-research-au-m2-portable-music-player.html

Now regarding the Firmware there has been and will continue to be updates rolled out as far as I'm aware. If you guys have any questions I'll be happy to answer as best I can. 

Aug 11, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #235 of 2,161
Hi sorry for the late reply basicly regarding the AR M2, you can actually purchase through Custom Cables their website will give you an estimate of shipping costs (Even to the U.S) you're also covered for warrenty as well here's the link: http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/acoustic-research-au-m2-portable-music-player.html

Now regarding the Firmware there has been and will continue to be updates rolled out as far as I'm aware. If you guys have any questions I'll be happy to answer as best I can. 

Awesome. Do you guys have a plan to fix its folder navigator? I recommend Windows Explorer type navigator which we can navigate folders in correct order.
200GB microSD is available. Current folder navigator of M2 will show the entire folders in sd card at a time. It's very inconvenient.
Try to look up HibyMusic android app and see how its folder browser behaves.

Aug 11, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #236 of 2,161
Awesome. Do you guys have a plan to fix its folder navigator? I recommend Windows Explorer type navigator which we can navigate folders in correct order.
200GB microSD is available. Current folder navigator of M2 will show the entire folders in sd card at a time. It's very inconvenient.
Try to look up HibyMusic android app and see how its folder browser behaves.

Thanks to bringing that to my attention unfortunately, I am not responsible for any firmware updates but I can certainly pass all the relevant information along to the right channels to address any issues.

If there are any other suggestions I'll do my pass to pass on all the information. I will take a look at HibyMuisic's android app and have a look at its folder browser. 

Aug 11, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #237 of 2,161
Currently on 8hrs4mins of continuous playback with 8% battery left, listening exclusively to 16/44 FLAC files, so - not quite sure re the 9hrs of high resolution...

Ironically, this is almost identical to the Hugo - for those eccentric enough - if this had digital output, those battery stats would be almost identical...

Even with the foibles of lack of gapless and no track scanning on the hardware buttons, the SQ of this player is, in my mind - impossible, no - IMPOSSIBLE to beat for the price - this far outclasses the ZX2 IMHO, and easily treads in the same footprints as the AK240...

Aug 11, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #238 of 2,161
Guess it does pretty much what it says on the tin...

Aug 11, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #239 of 2,161
  Thanks to bringing that to my attention unfortunately, I am not responsible for any firmware updates but I can certainly pass all the relevant information along to the right channels to address any issues.

If there are any other suggestions I'll do my pass to pass on all the information. I will take a look at HibyMuisic's android app and have a look at its folder browser. 

Thanks, 

This is something must be fixed ASAP. Otherwise, there's no way you can organize folders properly on M2. 
512GB microSD is on the way... then how can you browse folders in that microSD card if every folder shows up at a time?? 
You will see just a list of 500 albums in that browser. It will be very inconvenient to find folders you want. 
Folder browser should be like Windows Explorer. HibyMusic App is using that type of folder browser for music playback. Please tell them to upgrade folder browser as soon as possible. 

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #240 of 2,161

Thanks, 

This is something must be fixed ASAP. Otherwise, there's no way you can organize folders properly on M2. 
512GB microSD is on the way... then how can you browse folders in that microSD card if every folder shows up at a time?? 
You will see just a list of 500 albums in that browser. It will be very inconvenient to find folders you want. 
Folder browser should be like Windows Explorer. HibyMusic App is using that type of folder browser for music playback. Please tell them to upgrade folder browser as soon as possible. 

An email has been sent, either Robert or myself will get back with a response as soon as possible. Also in the mean time I might suggest you download HibyMusic's apk file so as to use their file management system in the mean time.

I know this isn't a long term fix but certainly will help for now as the system is being reviewed.  Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back