Acoustic Research M2 Audiophile-Grade Hi-Res Portable
May 3, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #181 of 2,161
  ibasso has a us distributor and us retailers.  recently my dx90's headphone jack got loose and positional in terms of keeping proper contacts for 2 channels.  i contacted ibasso, they referred me to their u.s. distributor, which in turn referred me to the retailer from whom i made the purchase.  furthermore, the distributor followed up in several days to inquire whether i'd been helped by the retailer.  when i said i hadn't heard back from the retailer, the distributor gave me an alternate email address.  after using that i received an rma number, and i'm told i'll be getting a new unit.

what will happen if i buy an ar-m2 and have a problem?  do you think ar will pay attention when they don't even show the dap on their own website?  if they don't care about their product, why should we?

Fair enough, but many, many, many head-fiers have purchased directly from iBasso in China, myself included (a 2nd-batch DX100, in my case).

Again, I'm not disagreeing with you, though.

May 4, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #182 of 2,161
The AR M2 is on its way to me for review. I'll be putting it up against the AK120 II, Ibasso DX100, a regular-but-decent smartphone (HTC One M8) and trying it out with different headphones, from sensitive CIEMS to the HE500 planars. Should be fun, will post my findings.

May 4, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #184 of 2,161
Can't wait I really found the dx100 to offer a more analog sound in comparison to the AR-M2 unfortunately I didn't get to spend much time with it when I had the opportunity to try it.  

Looking forward to your review bud.

May 4, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #185 of 2,161
  Can't wait I really found the dx100 to offer a more analog sound in comparison to the AR-M2 unfortunately I didn't get to spend much time with it when I had the opportunity to try it.  

Looking forward to your review bud.

That surprises me - I really like the airy, spacious, detailed presentation of the DX100, but I feel it errs (subjectively) more on the side of a 'digital' sound than an 'analogue' sound, but you find the AR-M2 to sound even less analogue than the DX100?

Interesting.

May 4, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #186 of 2,161

That surprises me - I really like the airy, spacious, detailed presentation of the DX100, but I feel it errs (subjectively) more on the side of a 'digital' sound than an 'analogue' sound, but you find the AR-M2 to sound even less analogue than the DX100?

Interesting.

Humm well please take my impression with a hand full of salt as I only had the chance to try it briefly with my Dunu 2K running the mans best reference track to show off the dx100 and all of its talents. 

That brings me to another point the AR-M2 seriously benefits from good recordings I mean it is a night and day difference. Unfortunately I don't own a giant collection of 24 bit music so most listening was done streaming on Spotify and Tidal.

Also although it has good synergy with a variety of earphones and headphones it can be a tad picky on occasions. For example the Fidue A83 I will be reviewing doesn't really mesh well with it sort of suchs the vocals out on some tracks, probably due to impedance issues so I am having to uses other sources which is a shame seeing as the AR-M2 is such a good bit of kit imo.

Please if you can get hold of the Dita The answer whilst you have the AR-M2 I love to know how they'd sound together. 

May 4, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #187 of 2,161
  Humm well please take my impression with a hand full of salt as I only had the chance to try it briefly with my Dunu 2K running the mans best reference track to show off the dx100 and all of its talents. 

That brings me to another point the AR-M2 seriously benefits from good recordings I mean it is a night and day difference. Unfortunately I don't own a giant collection of 24 bit music so most listening was done streaming on Spotify and Tidal.

Also although it has good synergy with a variety of earphones and headphones it can be a tad picky on occasions. For example the Fidue A83 I will be reviewing doesn't really mesh well with it sort of suchs the vocals out on some tracks, probably due to impedance issues so I am having to uses other sources which is a shame seeing as the AR-M2 is such a good bit of kit imo.

Please if you can get hold of the Dita The answer whilst you have the AR-M2 I love to know how they'd sound together. 

It's nothing more than a casual suspicion of mine, but I've long suspected that some DAPs with slightly higher output impedance may drive dynamic transducers best, whilst those with lower output impedance may drive BA transducers best. Obviously, it's nothing new to hear head-fiers speak of lower output impedance best serving BA transducers, but my point is that I have come to suspect that low output impedance may lead to a negative trade-off for driving dynamic transducers, and since the AR-M2 is clearly aimed primarily at dynamic transducers (specifically cans, judging by the relatively high power output for a portable device), I therefore suspect the AR-M2 might have a moderately higher output impedance, and that might (if my hypothesis is correct) tally with your above remarks.

May 4, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #188 of 2,161

It's nothing more than a casual suspicion of mine, but I've long suspected that some DAPs with slightly higher output impedance may drive dynamic transducers best, whilst those with lower output impedance may drive BA transducers best. Obviously, it's nothing new to hear head-fiers speak of lower output impedance best serving BA transducers, but my point is that I have come to suspect that low output impedance may lead to a negative trade-off for driving dynamic transducers, and since the AR-M2 is clearly aimed primarily at dynamic transducers (specifically cans, judging by the relatively high power output for a portable device), I therefore suspect the AR-M2 might have a moderately higher output impedance, and that might (if my hypothesis is correct) tally with your above remarks.

Exactly my thoughts which is kind of why I was thinking The Dita ,seemingly being the best dynamic on the market at the moment, as synergy should be a good match well only time will tell for sure really looking forward to your impression and good luck with the review. 

May 4, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #189 of 2,161
It's not me reviewing the AR-M2, by the way, but I'm interested in others' impressions/reviews of it, even though I am more of a balanced armature fan.

May 4, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #190 of 2,161
It's not me reviewing the AR-M2, by the way, but I'm interested in others' impressions/reviews of it, even though I am more of a balanced armature fan.

Sorry yeah just realised guess it's time for bed been a long day and who has to work bank holidays really being self employed really sucks sometimes lol.

But I agree didn't used to be but the more I listen to hybrids items using BAs and the beautiful details BA always seem to produce its hard not to lean towards being a BA fan. Although, still love a well tuned dynamic it's why I'm so interested in the Dita if I had the funds it would be on order now!

Anyone near Leicester got a pair fancy meeting up lol.

May 5, 2015 at 2:52 AM Post #191 of 2,161
If the AR M2 indeed does turn out to have a higher output impedance it would be rather unfortunate. Sure, it won't hurt (as much) with full size cans and dynamic drivers, but most people like their DAPs to work well as a portable source. A lot of the people looking at $1000+ DAPs own multi-BA driver IEMs, aka the ones hurt the most by a high output impedance. I sure hope the OI will be >4 ohm or my K10's will throw a tantrum. (And by that, off course, I mean they'll sound ever so slightly off, causing me to throw a tantrum as the 225 pound baby that I am.) 

May 5, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #192 of 2,161
In the previous thread a representative from AR posted the M2's official specs:

Hi Trance
Thought you might like the accurate specs.
I've just started working with AR so these are from the horses mouth (-:
I think you'll like the M2. Apologies in advance that I may not be able to answer tons of questions.

Cheers
Robert

Output Voltage- 3.6v
Output Impedance- 0.26 ohm
16-ohm headphones power- 785+785 mW*
32-ohm headphones power- 399+399 mW*
300-ohm headphones power- 43+43 mW*
Battery- 4000 mAH
Play time- 8 hours
THD+N (Loaded)- 0.001%

May 21, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #194 of 2,161
Did a brief A/B comparison with the Sony ZX2 which is in the same ball park figure. 

The AR M2 is huge and heavy!  More than twice the weight of the Sony ZX2 which was previously considered heavy.

Both UIs are similarly Android based. 

The AR M2 offers marginally better clarity playing .dsf files over the ZX2 while the later offers better body typical of the Sony house sound.  However, considering branding establishment and recognition, ease of after sales service access, smaller form factor etc., will still go with the ZX2.

May 21, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #195 of 2,161
Very short impression on AR-M2 at Yodobashi - Compared to ZX2 the AR-M2 is noticeably warmer with the lows sounding a bit too full for my liking. Soundstage is smaller than ZX2 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back