Acoustic Research M2 Audiophile-Grade Hi-Res Portable
Nov 18, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #1,247 of 2,161
20171118_215024[1].jpg

Dec 2, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #1,252 of 2,161
Anyone using a microSD card larger than 200GB capacity in the M2? I did a search and saw one successfully using a 256GB card and wondering if that is indeed still valid.

Reason for the query is I've ran into problems with a 256GB Samsung EVO microSDXC and the AR-M2. Long story kept short, the card became unusable, "corrupted and unreadable" according to Windows via a card reader, when trying to add more music. I determined the card itself was either defective and possibly counterfeit (purchased thru Amazon 3rd party reseller and user review comments indicate this theory) and have returned it. I've ordered a 128GB to use instead since price is cheap.

In the mean time I took a loaded 256GB (another Samsung EVO) that is in my DX200 and put into the M2. The M2 would not read or scan the card at all. It shows as the card being mounted and contains data but the player will not read any of the music files. I put the card back into the DX200 and it's fine.

Interestingly, checking the AR website, the specifications for the AR-M2 Maximum Memory Expansion is "up to 200GB". I thought that limitation is just based on whatever was available in terms of capacity at the time of document publication and most devices could support up to 512GB or even 2TB if/when they ever come into existence in microSD.

I'll order a 200GB when there's a good sale if it is indeed the max that can be read by the AR-M2, confirmed by other owners here. The AR-M2 is my favourite DAP in my collection and I want to get maximum use out of it in terms of storage.

TIA.

Dec 2, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #1,253 of 2,161
Anyone using a microSD card larger than 200GB capacity in the M2? I did a search and saw one successfully using a 256GB card and wondering if that is indeed still valid.

Reason for the query is I've ran into problems with a 256GB Samsung EVO microSDXC and the AR-M2. Long story kept short, the card became unusable, "corrupted and unreadable" according to Windows via a card reader, when trying to add more music. I determined the card itself was either defective and possibly counterfeit (purchased thru Amazon 3rd party reseller and user review comments indicate this theory) and have returned it. I've ordered a 128GB to use instead since price is cheap.

In the mean time I took a loaded 256GB (another Samsung EVO) that is in my DX200 and put into the M2. The M2 would not read or scan the card at all. It shows as the card being mounted and contains data but the player will not read any of the music files. I put the card back into the DX200 and it's fine.

Interestingly, checking the AR website, the specifications for the AR-M2 Maximum Memory Expansion is "up to 200GB". I thought that limitation is just based on whatever was available in terms of capacity at the time of document publication and most devices could support up to 512GB or even 2TB if/when they ever come into existence in microSD.

I'll order a 200GB when there's a good sale if it is indeed the max that can be read by the AR-M2, confirmed by other owners here. The AR-M2 is my favourite DAP in my collection and I want to get maximum use out of it in terms of storage.

TIA.

I have a 200 gig Toshiba card and internal. That's enough for me and my DSD's/FLAC pretty much. I have a 256 in another device and i will see if i get any errors.

Jan 5, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #1,254 of 2,161
I have Firmware 2.5.6. While it offers gapless playback for flac files it does not do so for wav files.
Does the new Firmware 2.6.3 fix this problem so I can get gapless playback with wav files?
Also if I understand it correctly, I can use either the regular player or the Pro player in Firmware 2.5.6. Am I right?
Thanks for the help.

Jan 5, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #1,256 of 2,161
Oh...this reminds me!

Did you ever get a chance to try a 256GB micro in the M2, Hbb?

Jan 5, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #1,258 of 2,161
^
Interesting. I wonder why mine would not acknowledge the 256GB then?

Jan 5, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #1,260 of 2,161
^
Same. Oh well. I'll just stick with a 200GB in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back