Acoustic Research M2 Audiophile-Grade Hi-Res Portable
Nov 27, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #859 of 2,161

Hi, I have tried the M2 with the Beyerdynamic T1 gen2s and I am very disappointed.. The sound is thin and not loud enough.. Any suggestions for an Amp\DAC for about 1200 GBP or less?

​I am using the Chord Mojo with my T1 gen 2's, at the moment and the combo is great.......for me anyway. It is a warmish dac compared to the Hugo and IMO, it suits the T1.......and there is loads to spare, volume wise.....I only have it at about 50% and it is loud enough for me......It retails for £400 

Nov 27, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #860 of 2,161
Sounds interesting, and it works well in conjunction with the M2?

​I am using the Chord Mojo with my T1 gen 2's, at the moment and the combo is great.......for me anyway. It is a warmish dac compared to the Hugo and IMO, it suits the T1.......and there is loads to spare, volume wise.....I only have it at about 50% and it is loud enough for me......It retails for £400 

Nov 27, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #861 of 2,161

​I don't know as I havn't got a M2....yet.......though I do know the M2 doesn't have a 'digital out' but I guess you could connect it via the 'line out' .........................................but it does kind of defeat the object of a DAP, especially a pretty expensive one like the M2.

To be honest, I have not heard of anyone else who says the T1's sound 'thin' and not loud enough with the M2.

Without wanting to stray 'off topic' too much I will say the T1's will sound 'thin' if you are used to, or are comparing them to a bass heavy headphone. No matter what amplification you feed a headphone, it will not 'drastically' change into a different type of headphone. If they are too 'thin' for you.................. send them back!..........there are plenty of choices of headphones out there that will  'float your boat'........Have a nice evening!

Nov 27, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #862 of 2,161
Thank you. I would point out that I haven't had a time where I felt I needed more power yet :)

​I don't know as I havn't got a M2....yet.......though I do know the M2 doesn't have a 'digital out' but I guess you could connect it via the 'line out' .........................................but it does kind of defeat the object of a DAP, especially a pretty expensive one like the M2.

To be honest, I have not heard of anyone else who says the T1's sound 'thin' and not loud enough with the M2.

Without wanting to stray 'off topic' too much I will say the T1's will sound 'thin' if you are used to, or are comparing them to a bass heavy headphone. No matter what amplification you feed a headphone, it will not 'drastically' change into a different type of headphone. If they are too 'thin' for you.................. send them back!..........there are plenty of choices of headphones out there that will  'float your boat'........Have a nice evening!

Nov 28, 2016 at 5:10 AM Post #864 of 2,161

Hi Andrew, the trick I sent you has sorted this for multiple users. It is not the same as a normal reset. Have another try

Anyone else can DM me if they want too march levels between AR & 3rd Party apps

Nov 28, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #865 of 2,161

Hi,.............How do you find the T1's with the M2?....................enough power?.........just enough?.......... or is there plenty left 'in the tank'?

Hiya, I tried T1s with M2 recently at a show. Frankly they could do with more driving, but a lot depends on your ears. My M2 was running at about 80% got pretty warm and sounded amazing (not thin at all, you are hearing the characteristics off the T1 here). In a noisy environment there would not be enough headroom. I don't know any portable player that can drive them properly, most can't even get started and of course the T1s are a big home headphone designed to be driven by serious amps. Overall the M2 does quite a remarkable job of driving them and the M2s smooth treble and extended bass work well with the T1. As always it's your ears!

Nov 28, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #866 of 2,161
Nov 28, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #867 of 2,161

+1

This is just the best sounding DAP there is, whatever the price. The software issues are minimal. You are missing out!

Nov 28, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #868 of 2,161

This is just the best sounding DAP there is, whatever the price. The software issues are minimal. You are missing

Hiya, I tried T1s with M2 recently at a show. Frankly they could do with more driving, but a lot depends on your ears. My M2 was running at about 80% got pretty warm and sounded amazing (not thin at all, you are hearing the characteristics off the T1 here). In a noisy environment there would not be enough headroom. I don't know any portable player that can drive them properly, most can't even get started and of course the T1s are a big home headphone designed to be driven by serious amps. Overall the M2 does quite a remarkable job of driving them and the M2s smooth treble and extended bass work well with the T1. As always it's your ears!

Hi, thanks for the useful info on driving the T1's........though I never said the T1's were thin sounding.

Will I be able to search...........artist-----album--------tracks.............................or is  it still stuck on artist--tracks?

The reason why it is so important to me is that it would annoy me as I have many hundreds of albums.......... and many artists with multiple albums....... and although , like you say I am probably 'missing out' I am going to stick to my phone + mojo till the search features are 'up to scratch'.

'Congrats' though, on an excellent sounding DAP!

Nov 28, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #869 of 2,161

Hi, thanks for the useful info on driving the T1's........though I never said the T1's were thin sounding.

Will I be able to search...........artist-----album--------tracks.............................or is  it still stuck on artist--tracks?

The reason why it is so important to me is that it would annoy me as I have many hundreds of albums.......... and many artists with multiple albums....... and although , like you say I am probably 'missing out' I am going to stick to my phone + mojo till the search features are 'up to scratch'.

'Congrats' though, on an excellent sounding DAP!

Hi, maybe it was someone else who said 'thin' ?? so many posts )-:

Stuck with current search parameters for now. Planned to change but no real idea when, could be 6 months or more

Irritates me mildly but then mine is my demo sample (-:

Keep an eye for update

Cheers Robert

Nov 29, 2016 at 3:25 AM Post #870 of 2,161

The Mojo cannot be used in conjunction with the M2. The M2 has no digital out. The Mojo has no analog in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back