Acoustic guy new to IEMs
Aug 4, 2011 at 12:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

play4theworld

New Head-Fier
I have played in a lot of bands and such but I just joined a church band at a "mega church"
and they use in ears. Sometimes I hate it sometimes i love depending if there is an extra wireless pack :p.

My problem is that the ears they supply aren't all that great. Especially the over ears.

I play acoustic guitar (Gibson ftw) and I really change my playing style and eq depending on if I'm coming out metalic or too bassy etc. I can't really tell with this set up because I can't trust the ears.

The drummer uses Alien Ears and swears by them but I've heard they aren't the way to go on here.

And in all honestly, these things are way too exspensive for a volunteer gig but I know i could use them in the future and it would really be nice so I just wanted some educated opinions. :)

Thanks!

Aug 4, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #2 of 11
Well first of all, do you have a budget in mind?

There are many good options that people here can help you choose from if you're looking for accurate, transparent reproduction.

Aug 4, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #3 of 11
Do you receive a set monitor mix, or is there an Aviom (or other) personal mixer involved? (Aviom is the norm in contemporary Christian house of worship production.)

I always recommend custom-fit, soft silicone earphones, but since you are new to this, a solid, accurate universal-fit may be more appropriate until you're more comfortable with IEMs.  Shure SE Series is a safe choice, and they can be upgraded to custom fit later with add-on silicone sleeves.

Aug 4, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #4 of 11
I would love it if I didn't have to spend more than 100 (originally i was looking at bose earbuds for 100) but I'm pretty good at getting extra money if it is really worth it.

Jack, I am using and Aviom. Things pretty awesome :p

Aug 5, 2011 at 5:21 AM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
oh and jack do you knwo much about Avioms? I have been thinking about getting a wireless pack for myself to use along with theyr'e system. How much are they like $200?

Aviom is a great system, although a little lo-fi to my ears. Wireless systems are great and make me feel free onstage, but they are also quite expensive - expect to pay around 1K US for a new Shure PSM900 or Sennheiser G3 system. In my (and many pro audio engineers) opinion, those are the units to get.
Hearback, Audio Technica, and Shure's mono PSM 200 are also good, but I wouldn't call them Pro units - more like good consumer level.

I own a Sennheiser G2 series, and never regretted that purchase. 

Aug 5, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #8 of 11
IMHO, the megachurch should be the ones buying the wireless, since it has to be coordinated with whatever other systems/frequencies they are using. Personally, I would start with the ears, master the self-mixing on Aviom, then consider the move to wireless. If you don't require mobility, don't bother.

I do think it's a mistake to go with cheap earbuds. (But then, I would...)
Shure SE425 and j-phonic K2 are good choices.

Aug 5, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #9 of 11
If the bose you were talking about are the ie2 - definitely stay away. They're open design, so if you're performing live and expecting to be able to hear yourself through them, not gonna happen. You will just be drowned out. They're recommended for activities where you need to be aware of your environment, such as running or biking and needing to hear a car horn. I

Aug 8, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #10 of 11

hey thanks for the replys. sorry I havnt gotten back I wasnt getting any emails thought it went cold.

That's good to know about the bose.

I think I'm gonna get some custom Alien Ears. As far as the wireless goes, i'm still kinda up in the air about it. I play guitar and all it is a very active band so I look kinda lame if I'm attached toa  5 foot cord. Right now they have me using an over ear headset but it has a long cord (one of those squigley ones like a telephone wire). I figured I'd get a big exstension cord or maybe a few on top of each other but will that kill the sound quality?

I'm going to talk to the sound guy if it is even an option for me to get a wireless because it's likely they don't want me tampering with they're set up.

Other than that I cant decide what Alien Ears to get.

I play acoustic so i need a good range. Thinkin the FR-AE3 (triple driver). One thing i'm concerned about is that it isn't a detachable cord and with this problem with cord lenght and sound quality after adpaters may be an issue (like i could get a 20 foot cord and a 5 foot cord and switch out if I had the detachable where as I need extenders otherwise). I think the detachable may be too much money.

Also i was wondering if these are good earbuds for straight listening like to my ipod or when I'm mixing in pro tools? 

Thanks for all the help guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back