Acer Laptop Warranty/Repair Issues
Mar 5, 2009 at 10:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Suntory_Times

Headphoneus Supremus
(In advance, I apolagise for the large post, but it's hard to consolidate it any further then I have, if you want to review what this post is about in ons smaller paragraph go to the second last paragraph).

Hello all. I thought I should let others know in some way of my experience with acer computers. Near the start of the year I was using my laptop and noticed a strange almost burning smell. i soon discovered it was the laptop, and more specidically the back power plug had started to melt.

I then sent of my laptop to acer (which was under warranty for the problem to be fixed). It was picked up on the 18th of January and it wasn't untill the 7th of Febuary that acer was able to confirm that it was indeed a faulty adaptor. Irregardless they claimed that for swhatever reason (i'm still unsure of this) that the laptop would no longer be under warranty (arguing that I must have used and external power supply, which I had in the past [though it was a product that acer had certified to work on there laptops], but I was not using this when the problem occured (I was using the genuine acer product that came with my laptop).

This problem persisted as acer apparently did nothing and did not respond to several of my messages or questions (despite there gaurantee of a four business hour response time). Finally they managed to do something and the cost of the repairs was $320AU. (At this point I was relieved as I not only use my laptop for my studies but also as my media center and I was just happy to be getting my laptop back).

A few more weeks passed and I enquired what was taking so long (which they responded they had to order in the parts), and I finally yesterday (the 5th of March) got my laptop back. Much to my dissmay, they had installed a motherboard that removed several functions of my laptop that I frequently use (such as HDMI out, optical out and several usb ports). These where some of the main reasons I decided to pay a bit more for then my laptop and they had simply decided to remove them without asking or telling me.

I called today (the 6th of March) and they have agreed to fix the problem 'free of charge', and een admitted it was there fault. But this as one would assume requires me to send it in to them again. They currently will be picking it up on the 10th of March and claim it will only take up to six working days to have it fixed and sent back to me. But given that for the initial problem they said would be very odd for it to take more then ten working days neddless to say i'm not very happy with there service, and don't really know when i'll get my laptop back once I have sent it off again.

As it stands i'll have been without a working laptop for well over two months and can only recommend that you consider other brands aside from acer. The laptop itself is beatifully made, and before this event had run very well (aside from some easily fixable blu ray issues). But alas, the wwarranty might has well have been toliet paper (in fact probably worth less then toliet paper), and there service is terrible. In fact when I called up mid way through this progress and asked what was happening the person representing acer said "I don't know anything", I then asked what he could do for me and he just repeated this in a louder voice and repeated it several times. I should note that I don't expect many replies due to the length of this post, but may bump ot once or twice so those interested may see some of the problems acer currently have).

(Interestingly enough when I did send in the faulty power chord (on my own achord as they initially told me not to send it in) they agreed it was a genuine acer product and replaced it under warranty but did not chargeback the repair costs and once I get my laptop back I am seriously contemplating doing a charge back on my credit card and taking them to the small claims court [or similiar]).

Mar 6, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #3 of 18
Laptop support in general is pretty bad, Acer is abysmal. The design of the Aspire One is ridiculous - you have to void your warranty just to install RAM. That's unheard of.

Mar 6, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #4 of 18
It's your own fault for not getting a Thinkpad.

Mar 6, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by mckickflip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Laptop support in general is pretty bad, Acer is abysmal. The design of the Aspire One is ridiculous - you have to void your warranty just to install RAM. That's unheard of.

I didn't now that, that indeed is ridiculous (adding more ram really is quite a standard upgrade). Hell I voided the warranty by using a certified acer product, so I guees I probably shouldn't be surprised.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It is a solid laptop, but the support I have been giving is exceptionally bad. That bieng said no matter how good the product I will never buy another product from acer as a result of there current service.

Mar 6, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't now that, that indeed is ridiculous (adding more ram really is quite a standard upgrade). Hell I voided the warranty by using a certified acer product, so I guees I probably shouldn't be surprised.

It is a solid laptop, but the support I have been giving is exceptionally bad. That bieng said no matter how good the product I will never buy another product from acer as a result of there current service.

Support is everything cuz most laptops are similarly built, except for Thinkpads and Mac, both of which are better-built than the rest.

Mar 6, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Support is everything cuz most laptops are similarly built, except for Thinkpads and Mac, both of which are better-built than the rest.

I agree, it'll have not been working for three months in the thirteen months i've owned it. To me, that is just unnaceptable (especially when it was faulty hardware).

Mar 7, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Thinkpad is owned by Lenovo. Does Lenovo has a good customer support?

Mar 11, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #9 of 18
Thought i'd update, the laptop was sent of again to acer yesterday (10 March) and they have admitted they accidently installed the wrong motherboard and several other bits and pieces. They admitted this though before getting the laptop, so they clearly knew that they had screwed me over but had decided to do nothing about it.

Man it's really odd how much you miss you're own computer, using someone elses just isn't the same.
frown.gif

Mar 17, 2009 at 9:41 AM Post #10 of 18
It's the 17th of March and still no laptop back (they gauranteed it would be back in 6 days, i'm assuming working days, so it should be back tommorow based on there gaurantee, but I if my dealings have taught me anything it will not be). (Tommorow will mark the two month point since it was first sent of to have the laptop fixed).

Mar 17, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #11 of 18
I have an Acer desktop. I hope i never have a problem with their customer service.
So far anything ive needed ive been able to do myself, or at least with a helpful friend on the phone.

Mar 17, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #12 of 18
I have an Acer Extensa, which I plan to give away for parts if I ever have a problem with it (and I will). I bought it for about $400 new, and just use it as a kickaround netbook.

It runs very hot, battery life is abysmal, and it feels plasticky and cheap.

Mar 18, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #13 of 18
I called acer today (the 18th) and they apperantly posted it yesterday, so I should either have it later today or tommorow.

Mar 18, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #15 of 18
Ggrrr (must dystroy microsoft and acer, grrr), i've enever had a blu screen of death on my acer laptop before, so hopefully when I get it back that trend will continue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back