Acer Laptop Warranty/Repair Issues
Mar 18, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #16 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by wuwhere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thinkpad is owned by Lenovo. Does Lenovo has a good customer support?

Some time ago the battery on my Thinkpad Z60t completely died and wouldn't even give power. I googled the issue and found that Lenovo had done a recall (different from the major fire problems some batteries had recently) and they had a program to check if I was affected. 30 seconds later I was entering my address into a form for a brand new battery, free of charge and well out-of-warranty. It arrived two days later and they didn't even want the old one back.

Needless to say, Lenovo is the only brand I'll buy from now on. I just ordered a new W500 today as a matter of fact.
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 18, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(In advance, I apolagise for the large post, but it's hard to consolidate it any further then I have, if you want to review what this post is about in ons smaller paragraph go to the second last paragraph).

Hello all. I thought I should let others know in some way of my experience with acer computers. Near the start of the year I was using my laptop and noticed a strange almost burning smell. i soon discovered it was the laptop, and more specidically the back power plug had started to melt.

I then sent of my laptop to acer (which was under warranty for the problem to be fixed). It was picked up on the 18th of January and it wasn't untill the 7th of Febuary that acer was able to confirm that it was indeed a faulty adaptor. Irregardless they claimed that for swhatever reason (i'm still unsure of this) that the laptop would no longer be under warranty (arguing that I must have used and external power supply, which I had in the past [though it was a product that acer had certified to work on there laptops], but I was not using this when the problem occured (I was using the genuine acer product that came with my laptop).

This problem persisted as acer apparently did nothing and did not respond to several of my messages or questions (despite there gaurantee of a four business hour response time). Finally they managed to do something and the cost of the repairs was $320AU. (At this point I was relieved as I not only use my laptop for my studies but also as my media center and I was just happy to be getting my laptop back).

A few more weeks passed and I enquired what was taking so long (which they responded they had to order in the parts), and I finally yesterday (the 5th of March) got my laptop back. Much to my dissmay, they had installed a motherboard that removed several functions of my laptop that I frequently use (such as HDMI out, optical out and several usb ports). These where some of the main reasons I decided to pay a bit more for then my laptop and they had simply decided to remove them without asking or telling me.

I called today (the 6th of March) and they have agreed to fix the problem 'free of charge', and een admitted it was there fault. But this as one would assume requires me to send it in to them again. They currently will be picking it up on the 10th of March and claim it will only take up to six working days to have it fixed and sent back to me. But given that for the initial problem they said would be very odd for it to take more then ten working days neddless to say i'm not very happy with there service, and don't really know when i'll get my laptop back once I have sent it off again.

As it stands i'll have been without a working laptop for well over two months and can only recommend that you consider other brands aside from acer. The laptop itself is beatifully made, and before this event had run very well (aside from some easily fixable blu ray issues). But alas, the wwarranty might has well have been toliet paper (in fact probably worth less then toliet paper), and there service is terrible. In fact when I called up mid way through this progress and asked what was happening the person representing acer said "I don't know anything", I then asked what he could do for me and he just repeated this in a louder voice and repeated it several times. I should note that I don't expect many replies due to the length of this post, but may bump ot once or twice so those interested may see some of the problems acer currently have).

(Interestingly enough when I did send in the faulty power chord (on my own achord as they initially told me not to send it in) they agreed it was a genuine acer product and replaced it under warranty but did not chargeback the repair costs and once I get my laptop back I am seriously contemplating doing a charge back on my credit card and taking them to the small claims court [or similiar]).

I would do a charge back also.And thanks for the warning.

Mar 18, 2009 at 9:16 AM Post #18 of 18
I recieved my laptop late today and will report back to see if this time it is actually as it should be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back