Accutane bad or Good?
Nov 27, 2006 at 8:02 PM Post #16 of 32
Another vote for Proactiv. I use it but once a day now, just before I go to sleep. Yes, it gets old and boring to do a three step routine(which is what it is), but it works.

No side effects 'cept a lil dry skin under my chin where I shave.

Nov 27, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #17 of 32
Except Proactive I would recommend Dan's stuff from acne.org. His benzoyl peroxide is cheaper and is better quality. Secondly, if you only have mild acne I can't help but recommend Evoclin (clindamycine phosphate). It's basically a foam that you spread over the affected areas once a day. It disappears in seconds. I liked this product the most because it wasn't drying and worked much better than benzoyl peroxide when I used it. The only downside is the insane price, so if your insurance doesn't cover it you might have a problem. It does last a while though

I would seriously reconsider trying accutane if your acne doesn't require it. If it's all you think about though then it might be worth a shot. That's for you to decide

Nov 27, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #18 of 32
Accutane and Retin-A has been around for years. I'd say a decade or more.
Sure it's drying but what acne medication isn't?
See what your dermatologist suggests.

Nov 27, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisets /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Basically, just go ask your doctor. I'll never understand why people ask stuff like this on a forum, when you have to see a doctor to get anything prescribed anyway.

Easy, internet advice is free. Doctor visits cost time and money. While the 'net advice isn't as high of a quality as your doctor's advice, it's a good starting point and can be useful. Like in this case, where the OP clearly should not be considering Accutane to treat his mild acne.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlindTiger
Accutane and Retin-A has been around for years. I'd say a decade or more.
Sure it's drying but what acne medication isn't?
See what your dermatologist suggests.

Doesn't mean it isn't dangerous, just that Accutane is more beneficial than harmful when used correctly.

Causality for depression and suicide are a pain to figure out with a drug like this due to the target users of Accutane (minors who may have severe image issues and are prone to depression/suicide). And, of course, there are the strongly worded FDA warning labels.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FDA
All patients treated with isotretinoin should be observed closely for symptoms of depression or suicidal thoughts, such as sad mood, irritability, acting on dangerous impulses, anger, loss of pleasure or interest in social or sports activities, sleeping too much or too little, changes in weight or appetite, school or work performance going down, or trouble concentrating, or for mood disturbance, psychosis, or aggression. Patients should stop isotretinoin and they or their caregiver should contact their healthcare professional right away if the patient has any of the previously mentioned symptoms. Discontinuation of treatment may be insufficient and further evaluation may be necessary. [Action taken 08/12/05 Labeling revision]

Sure there's "no scientific evidence that Accutane has any causal effect with depression or suicide", but the FDA is treating the possibility that Accutane and depression are linked seriously.

Nov 28, 2006 at 12:08 AM Post #21 of 32
How old are you john? If you're under 20, I say give it some time. I used to have a lot of pimples, I tried many different otc meds and they didn't really do much. (other than dry my skin to hell) After a couple years, they just started going away. Now my face is pretty clear. (pimple-wise)

Nov 28, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #22 of 32
I'm 17, turning 18 in dec. Its just annoying to have acne that stays on you for years. Especially since I'm going off to college soon.

And about asking an online forum. I obviously talked to my doctor about it and have all that info folder they give you. I was hoping to gain some first hand experience- that is why I'm asking an online forum.

Nov 28, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just be careful if they want to give you antibiotics for it, some of them are quite ototoxic.

Yes, some are, but not the ones they use for acne.

To the original poster; if you have any questions you want to ask me, PM me. I am a pharmacist.

Nov 28, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by jumpinjohn1234 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm 17, turning 18 in dec. Its just annoying to have acne that stays on you for years. Especially since I'm going off to college soon.

Hey I'm short and ugly, I have to live with that for the rest of my life.
tongue.gif

I say just wait a bit, especially since you're not sure about using such medications. It might go away on it's own.

Nov 28, 2006 at 3:28 AM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How old are you john? If you're under 20, I say give it some time. I used to have a lot of pimples, I tried many different otc meds and they didn't really do much. (other than dry my skin to hell) After a couple years, they just started going away. Now my face is pretty clear. (pimple-wise)

I'm gonna have to agree with Kirosia on this one. Sure, you can try some of the OTC methods for now, but I'd still give it a little time. I had mild acne all the way through high school and for the first year or so of college. I'm now in my Jr. year of college and I have a bump every once or a while, but that's about it. I'd say give it another 3 or 4 years and if you haven't seen ANY improvements, maybe go ahead with what you're thinking about doing now.

Nov 28, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by jumpinjohn1234 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And about asking an online forum. I obviously talked to my doctor about it and have all that info folder they give you. I was hoping to gain some first hand experience- that is why I'm asking an online forum.

Something you learn in psychology is that the body eventually builds a tolerance to everything. Evetually you'd build a tolerance to those Accutane pills. Anyway, you're forgetting that potential risk of disrupting your immune system.

I still say go with Proactiv. My best friend used to take Accutane...until his liver almost failed according to the docs. Your choice. Your liver...your 17 year old liver.

It ain't worth it. Go try Proactiv. You get a free 1 month supply. Yes you need to give your CC to get the trial, but you can cancel before you get charged.

While you're at it, hit the gym to build up your immune system. /offtopic.

Besides...if you wanna kill your liver at least do it with alky! /kidding.

Nov 28, 2006 at 4:45 AM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, there are forums dedicated to acne with thousands of posters and millions of posts, so you should rather post there.

Aren't you the same guy who asked us about growing facial hair?

Jun 28, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #30 of 32
My acne got worse this year so my mom decided to take me to a well known dermatologist in Hong Kong. Well I got started on Roaccutane and myosporin. Boy are the drugs expensive. Each freakin' Roaccutane pill costs USD$6 (1 per day) and the myosporin works out to be around $2-3 per pill (2 per day). Not to mention the consultation costs, which cost $60 and I only saw the doctor for around 3 minutes. A month costs just over $360 on medication alone. Then I read this thread about the side effects of Accutane (US trade name for Roaccutane)... But the dermatologist I went to see also cares for Fortune 500 CEOs, celebrities, etc so I'm pretty sure he knows what he's doing. The only thing that worries me is whether it will really cure me. I'm on my second day of treatment and my face is noticeably less oily than before (not that it is normally very oily) plus I get a bit of flaking. Luckily, I was given some super-moisturisers that work like magic. A very small amount is good for most of the day and it isn't sticky or slimey at all. The lip moisturisers I got given are superb too.

I'm now on a pretty intense regime:
1. Exfoliating scrub (twice a day morning and evening, before Sebamed)
2. Sebamed Clear Face Antibacterial Cleansing Foam pH5.5 (massage, wait 5 minutes, rinse; twice a day morning and evening, after exfoliating scrub)
3. Moisturisers from dermatologist (half an hour after exfoliating scrub and Sebamed)
4. Roaccutane after dinner
5. Myosporin 30minutes before breakfast and dinner

I'll have to go back in two weeks for dosage adjustment. Apparently, liver damage only occurs if you were prescribed a high dose for an extended period. I think I'm in good hands though so hope this works
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back